Choosing a new graphics card and/or processor

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
Fastor

Re: Choosing a new graphics card and/or processor

#16 » Post by Fastor » 03 Jul 2016 22:19

Whats the point of linking that video? That CF is cheaper than single 1080? Or that narator does not believe in problems that RX480 is causing?

Well, here is what. We do know that RX 480 is half cheaper than 1080 but seriously if you need that much FPS do you really want to fuck around with CF (or SLI)?!? Even some games dont benefit much from CF/SLI as much they would from single card of same performance as them two. Additionally you would need stronger PSU to have them and if your motherboard have only two PCI Express x16 slots, chances are that in CF/SLI mode they would work at only x8.
Forget CF/SLI, single card RULES. Just pick those that produce that amount of FPS that you need and compare with money you want to spend.

Well, its been proved that RX480 is killing motherboards and l already linked that people complain on AMD site about it, https://community.amd.com/thread/202410

"NO OFFICIAL STATEMENT YET FROM AMD AS OF MAKING THIS VIDEO" Well, AMD made statement now http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-gi ... blems.html
"If this is fixed by software (driver) this likely means it will be throttling down if it hits a certain power state, so if a higher than 150 Watt power state is reached" It turns out that they will reduce Clocks on all RX480 so it would result lowering power consumption, side effect is lower FPS.
Ofc ASUS version of RX 480 Direct CU3 is on way and it would have proper fix, aka it would have 2x6pin or maybe 1x8pin if enough and that would solve that problem properly.

I admit that all 3 cards are "endgame" of FullHD resolution but, l would not like to pick any of those 3 cards because first two are too expensive and third one is fail until aftermarket companies release it with 2x6pin connectors.

Gnurg

#17 » Post by Gnurg » 04 Jul 2016 19:26

Got the card today and with the help of dad I managed to get it installed. So far I can't tell any difference, but I guess it's a bit less noisy.

[hide]Image
... I guess I haven't been doing such a good job of cleaning under it. ^_^[/hide]

[hide]Image
What are these for? :?:[/hide]

[hide]Image
masty wrote:You'll have to help me with this thing
[/hide]
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Jiranthos
Admin

#18 » Post by Jiranthos » 04 Jul 2016 21:45

Gnurg wrote: Question...
Maybe your GPU fan wasn't making the big noise, did you check PSU, CPU and other spinning fans, too?

Picture one: Clean it, goddamnit!

Picture two: Those are SLI/Crossfire connectors. One of them has a red plastic protector on it. These are used to connect two GPUs to each other to kinda "superboost" the performance.
Nvidia wrote:Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a brand name for a multi-GPU technology developed by NVIDIA for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is an algorithm of parallel processing for computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics.
Basically you need a twin (another one of those cards you bought to use it)

Example of three cards SLI'd.
[hide]Image[/hide]

5:15 to see it the SLI used/connected, skip everything before that if you are low on time
[youtube]r0vb9nPwwvc[/youtube]

Picture 3: It's all up to you, the better the cooling (probably going to need a custom one) system you have, the further you can push it. This is called Overclocking, it's to make it become more powerful, but heat up faster, don't overpush it, though, consult forums. The other settings are triggers for temperature. If it gets as hot as the limit you have set it will shut itself down to protect it from damaging or melting or catching fire. You got to be careful with all of these settings, (temperature limits, clock frequencies etc.)

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

Gnurg

#19 » Post by Gnurg » 04 Jul 2016 22:08

I'll just avoid that program and SLI, but thanks for the info, always nice to know. :)

And duh, got rid of the "hybelkanin"'s right away. :P ^_^

The noise seems fine today, not that I have had tried with many clients up, but it seems overall better.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Matsy

#20 » Post by Matsy » 04 Jul 2016 23:19

About the msi afterburner click the cog wheel next to where it says fan speed and set a custom fan curve. Set it to a point where you can't hear it till 70 ish then ramp the curve up as long as your temperature doesn't go above 85 odd your fine. It shouldn't get too hot to begin with

This is asumming the noise is from the gpu and not cpu/case fans.

Also i almost barfed seeing that dust....
Matsy pls
Mats - Frost PVE Troll Death Knight - Retired
Matsy - Moonkin/Restoration Druid (Laz0r Chicken)
Mat - Beastmaster Orc Hunter
Matz -Retribution Paladin
Matu - Troll Shadow Priest
Bolts - Elemental Troll Shaman
Kungfu - Orc Fury Warrior
Trollage - Troll Arcane Mage
Mato - Orc Affliction Warlock
Findme - Troll Assassination Rogue

I Pity the Fool who's illogical
Friends are just people you hate the least
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Gnurg

#21 » Post by Gnurg » 04 Jul 2016 23:43

Matsy wrote:Also i almost barfed seeing that dust....
Sorry, it's all clean now. :oops: It was only by those holes though, so it wasn't that bad.

I'll experiment with the program tommorow, but knowing myself I likely won't try anything risky.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Fastor

#22 » Post by Fastor » 04 Jul 2016 23:48

Gnurg wrote: but knowing myself I likely won't try anything risky.

Gnurg

#23 » Post by Gnurg » 04 Jul 2016 23:49

Fastor wrote:
Gnurg wrote: but knowing myself I likely won't try anything risky.

-.-
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Matsy

#24 » Post by Matsy » 04 Jul 2016 23:52

Lol you cant break anything just dont touch the voltage.

Set power limit to max, temp limit to 85/90 and leave it alone. Doing this will give it more power to play with. Let it boost on its own to a higher speed.
Matsy pls
Mats - Frost PVE Troll Death Knight - Retired
Matsy - Moonkin/Restoration Druid (Laz0r Chicken)
Mat - Beastmaster Orc Hunter
Matz -Retribution Paladin
Matu - Troll Shadow Priest
Bolts - Elemental Troll Shaman
Kungfu - Orc Fury Warrior
Trollage - Troll Arcane Mage
Mato - Orc Affliction Warlock
Findme - Troll Assassination Rogue

I Pity the Fool who's illogical
Friends are just people you hate the least
I reject your reality and substitute my own