Isnt it against the law

Off-topic posts of interest to the World of Warcraft community.
Therealshammtwink

Isnt it against the law

#1 » Post by Therealshammtwink » 27 Nov 2014 04:12

This may seem like a very dumb question to you all but ive never really understood how a private sever is aloud to be run i mean surely it is copy righted isnt it ?

keez
Donor

Re: Isnt it against the law

#2 » Post by keez » 27 Nov 2014 04:19

Therealshammtwink

#3 » Post by Therealshammtwink » 27 Nov 2014 04:28

Keez that was so needed :D

Nyeriah

#4 » Post by Nyeriah » 27 Nov 2014 04:53

We are an educational project based on an opensource framework with no commercial purposes.

ilovebunnies

#5 » Post by ilovebunnies » 27 Nov 2014 04:55

Private servers are illegal yes, but as long as the server isn't gaining large profits, Blizz won't do anything I think. It has to be worth the effort for Blizzard; They won't crack down on private servers that don't make much money, they won't gain much from it. You must have come across the Scapegaming lawsuit that Blizz won ($ 88M).
That was worth it, dunno about the minimal amount of profit servers make that catches Blizz's attention.
Couple of low level toons under 30 :|

Roel
Founder

#6 » Post by Roel » 27 Nov 2014 09:21

It's not officially allowed to have a public server like this even if it's for educational purposes but they won't do anything against it. A lot of players here are not willing to pay for retail or don't have the money. We're also on an old expansion by now so those who want to play the new one will also pay Blizzard anyway.

It will cost Blizzard more money to shut us down than they would earn from it. Indeed the only server I know of that got shutdown is Scapegaming. If anything we might actually be helping Blizzard getting more subscriptions because players can try the old content up to level 80 for free here. It offers a lot more than the official WoW trial if that wasn't enough for them to decide on the subscription.

marko1984

#7 » Post by marko1984 » 27 Nov 2014 10:23

Wasnt ToxicWOW shut down too?
Three mages!

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Hansrutger » 27 Nov 2014 10:37

Roel wrote:It's not officially allowed to have a public server like this even if it's for educational purposes but they won't do anything against it. A lot of players here are not willing to pay for retail or don't have the money. We're also on an old expansion by now so those who want to play the new one will also pay Blizzard anyway.

It will cost Blizzard more money to shut us down than they would earn from it. Indeed the only server I know of that got shutdown is Scapegaming. If anything we might actually be helping Blizzard getting more subscriptions because players can try the old content up to level 80 for free here. It offers a lot more than the official WoW trial if that wasn't enough for them to decide on the subscription.
Also the fact that the server is not within US soil, makes it a bit harder and less "worth" for Blizzard, when it comes to laws etc, I'm guessing though.
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

mcheka

#9 » Post by mcheka » 08 Dec 2014 06:56

There's actually another case I know of in which a private server owner has been entrenched in an ongoing legal battle with Blizzard. The server was hosted in the US, where we expect that Blizzard has the strongest legal protection and most cost-effective copyright enforcement. Since TrueWoW is hosted in France, it's probably a bit safer in that respect.

There is something a bit worrisome about this case, though. The server in question is a vanilla server called The Rebirth, with even older content than TrueWoW, hence we'd expect Blizzard to care less. It also happens to have a population significantly smaller than TrueWoW - around 5x smaller if memory serves.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Arraj

#10 » Post by Arraj » 08 Dec 2014 10:40

mcheka wrote:There's actually another case I know of in which a private server owner has been entrenched in an ongoing legal battle with Blizzard. The server was hosted in the US, where we expect that Blizzard has the strongest legal protection and most cost-effective copyright enforcement. Since TrueWoW is hosted in France, it's probably a bit safer in that respect.

There is something a bit worrisome about this case, though. The server in question is a vanilla server called The Rebirth, with even older content than TrueWoW, hence we'd expect Blizzard to care less. It also happens to have a population significantly smaller than TrueWoW - around 5x smaller if memory serves.

haha that's my vanilla server :) I used to play priest there.

If you browsed retail forum more you would see that actually blizzard is more "scared" of vanilla servers than rest of the expansions. More and more players are asking them open vanilla realms. Private vanilla realms are developed almost to perfection on few realms and blizzard sure has more threat from such server than some newly opened crappy WoD server.
2 new vanilla private servers are soon to be opened. I'm damn sure they will have very high population.
Due to recent events in my bracket here and constant bashing towards non80 community I see myself on one of those realms. Whichever releases first.

I think Rebirth is dead, even if it goes up again I don't think I can trust that staff anymore, they aren't capable of keeping server stable for 2 months without having 14days downtime.

On topic: I'm sure that TW wont be affected with such issues. EU hosting provides "sanctuary" against those problems.
Last edited by Arraj on 08 Dec 2014 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Sheena of the Warsong Clan

Bored with 80lv content? Check out my level 19 character guide.
New to server and need some cash? Check this out and make some easy gold

ItchyVortex

#11 » Post by ItchyVortex » 08 Dec 2014 12:13

marko1984 wrote:Wasnt ToxicWOW shut down too?
Burning WoW too.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Eisen
Donor

#12 » Post by Eisen » 08 Dec 2014 16:03

Arr! We're all pirates.
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!
bnet: Eisen#2183