Battlegrounds: 1 min IP ban for leaving

Have a suggestion for TrueWoW?
skyx

Battlegrounds: 1 min IP ban for leaving

#1 » Post by skyx » 24 Dec 2022 08:48

When Battlegrounds miraculously happens on this server, some of the older players exploit the lack of leaver penalty and constantly cycle through characters to play with a better composition, some even use it to basically teleport to the other side of the map when they know no one else is in queue.

A 1 min IP ban would deter this kind of behaviour.

EDIT:

Proposal: 1 minute IP login ban, 1 minute account-wide login ban, and 1min deserter debuff on the character that left the bg and on all alts on the same in-game account.

Just find a way to prevent a player from having the ability to queue and enter a BG for 1min depending on their IP and all of their linked in-game accounts IF they leave a bg prematurely - no one on shared IP addresses get forcibly logged out or anything.

If a player gets disconnected within a bg, no 1min penalty is applied to them when the log back in.
Last edited by skyx on 25 Dec 2022 04:29, edited 8 times in total.

andriuspel
Former Staff

Re: Battlegrounds: 1 min IP ban for leaving

#2 » Post by andriuspel » 24 Dec 2022 10:08

Can you explain it bit further? in which battlegrounds they tried to use teleport where they shouldn't to (this sounds as legit exploit)? about ip wide deserter, its possible to implement but need to think how that would effect players which are playing on shared network, unless linked account but on this area i also seeing potential exploiting/escaping.

Direct ban i think would be insulting solution for players which for example, got disconnect and similar
A son asked his father (a programmer) why the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. His response? It works, don’t touch!

Everyone says it's difficult to work with a person while they have a negative attitude or constantly exhibit uncooperative behavior.

skyx

#3 » Post by skyx » 25 Dec 2022 03:46

A hypothetical example would be Arathi Basin - if a player is playing for the Alliance side is currently at the Horde camp, the player could potentially quickly exit and re-enter the battleground to teleport back to the Alliance camp.
Last edited by skyx on 25 Dec 2022 04:25, edited 2 times in total.

guybrush
Developer

#4 » Post by guybrush » 25 Dec 2022 03:55

A ban would make less sense than simply preventing them from reentering the BG in session, or at least prevented from reentering for a period of time. That way network disconnects don't get unfairly affected, and any perceived benefit of an intentional disconnect is mitigated.

skyx

#5 » Post by skyx » 25 Dec 2022 03:56

guybrush wrote:
25 Dec 2022 03:55
A ban would make less sense than simply preventing them from reentering the BG in session, or at least prevented from reentering for a period of time. That way network disconnects don't get unfairly affected, and any perceived benefit of an intentional disconnect is mitigated.
Yea, I am going to amend the first post.

srelectrox

#6 » Post by srelectrox » 26 Dec 2022 11:38

guybrush wrote:
25 Dec 2022 03:55
Not sure tho, you can always disconnect the wifi or the router and bypass it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Freakylups . Darkstuff . Garrote . Jardas . Mercurium

Dymond
Senior Game Master

#7 » Post by Dymond » 26 Dec 2022 22:56

There used to be a deserter, but it was also removed to help promote RBGs
"Grief is the price we pay for love."

srelectrox

#8 » Post by srelectrox » 27 Dec 2022 14:29

Even deserter won't work on people with multiple accounts.
Prehaps the best thing to do is to report via ticket and a gm inspecting the user/situation.
But if two players on the same household playing together will they wear the same ip? cause if you can't differentiate the two you might be banning without reason.

This is a tough one :P

also, isn't the lack of pvp players a constant complain here in the suggestions?
any solution will increase the problem :P

Maybe if the player in question fights with the same technique? with friends and multiple accounts/characters.

guybrush
Developer

#9 » Post by guybrush » 27 Dec 2022 15:47

That's sort of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, saying that PVP will suffer as a result of cracking down on exploitation.

PVP leaning players shouldn't be actively trying to find ways to beat the system. Isn't the point of PVP to actually get good at PVP?

And I think any additional effort someone might take at getting around it, whether it's multiple accounts or tripping your router to change IPs, ruins any benefit you might have gotten. Not sure I'd fight to find every possible edge case, if the intent was simply to slow them down.

srelectrox

#10 » Post by srelectrox » 28 Dec 2022 10:15

guybrush wrote:
27 Dec 2022 15:47
That's sort of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, saying that PVP will suffer as a result of cracking down on exploitation.

PVP leaning players shouldn't be actively trying to find ways to beat the system. Isn't the point of PVP to actually get good at PVP?

And I think any additional effort someone might take at getting around it, whether it's multiple accounts or tripping your router to change IPs, ruins any benefit you might have gotten. Not sure I'd fight to find every possible edge case, if the intent was simply to slow them down.
I'm not saying that pvp will suffer if you reapply deserter, i'm saying that if you ban or don't let come back people who simply disconnect without ulterior motives, it will.

And a simple deserter won't fix the problem in its totality.
although, better a deserter debuff then nothing i guess.

guybrush
Developer

#11 » Post by guybrush » 28 Dec 2022 16:53

Are disconnects really that common nowadays? And really, for those that do have a bad day and disconnect during a BG, that's what GMs are for :)

The 80-20 rule (or really... 95-5) should apply here. Most people aren't going to get randomly disconnected enough for the debuff to create a hindrance. It's the ones actively abusing it that will suffer, and ultimately complain.

The real question is... how many people who participate in BGs exploit disconnects or exit/entry to a BG? If it's the majority, then you have a different problem altogether, one that (as you said) the deserter debuff won't fix.