Mithril challenge (Ironman inspired)

Have a suggestion for TrueWoW?
Dewbacca

Mithril challenge (Ironman inspired)

#1 » Post by Dewbacca » 04 Jan 2022 18:10

I am really enjoying the Ironman challenge, among other things, I can see the game in a bit of a new light and perspective. The enticement of a wonderful mount is a bit of a carrot on a long stick, but it's out there if you can reach it.

I'd also like to commend the community that supports it and salute the many contenders, failed, still plugging away at it, and sitting atop the ladder as a victor, /salute to all.

But it has left me somewhat lacking in a few areas that I think could be addressed with a slightly modified challenge that might appeal to even more players.

To begin I'd like to point out the things that make the event so exciting and should not change:

No dying.
Makes you pick and choose your battles more carefully and explore more of the world to find appropriate challenges.
No Grouping.
While this has some drawbacks, it reinforces your need to be self sufficient to a great degree. Again, a stronger character overall, not a specific tool for a dungeon or raid meta build.
No Dungeons.
Farming is easy enough in the main world, leave dungeons to others.

No loot drop gear.
Wow is an amazing game that has a wonderful and underused crafting system. But it is rendered obsolete by common mobs often dropping better gear than crafters can make. The Ironman competition doesn't allow the equipping of ANY green or better gear/ items, and while that increases the challenge level, it leaves a huge void in the player that the game has a built in function to address, professions.

/\/\/\/\
THIS is my primary change that I would like to see in what I am calling "The Mithril Challenge". I would like to see a challenge LIKE the Ironman, but that allowed crafting professions, and the equipping/ use of items crafted by the overall community.

No UBER-gear found in dungeon runs or dropped from elite mobs. But if a player can craft it, the Mithril contender should be able to use/ equip/ craft it.

Cooking is forbidden for the Ironman challenge, despite it's moderate at best benefits. I personally think that is a fun part of the way I play Wow, and I find it lacking in Ironman with no real benefit. Same with fishing/ the two go hand in hand with hunters and their pets.

Gathering professions on these characters would give them added benefit to the community, which Ironmen already prove by auctioning things they find but cannot use, items as well as cloth. Adding gathering professions would only be an extension of that already existing benefit to our in game/ AH economy.

Crafting professions and allowing use of those items would create an economy of exchanging those useable crafted items between contenders of different professions and regular players, those items suddenly being worth crafting after years of meta-skilling for minimum resources. The Mithril Challenge would create that economy of players seeking out crafters, rather than just running a dungeon several times.

These are the primary guidelines for the suggested "Mithril challenge", there may be issues I have not covered and invite mention of those below so the idea could at least be hammered out as something interesting to a wider audience.

Ironman, and it's red headed stepbrother the Bloodthirsty challenge are hard, and well they should be. The reward is also very impressive, making the challenge worth the work.

Mithril would be LESS of a challenge, while still being a challenge, so I recommend a lesser reward to compensate... but a slight twist.

I humbly suggest every 10 levels your mithril contender achieves, that account gets 100 web points. This is a multi-pronged consideration, so allow me to elaborate on the points.

By participating in the challenge, you help build a more vibrant economy in the game, web points are for supporting the server, and a stronger economy is just that, support for the server we all love.

The points would be useable by the account, but not the contender, thus rewarding more players for participating in an incremental fashion, rather than over a long haul for a reward that could be lost in an instant to a poor choice or blind luck.

And finally it encourages someone to recreate a character lost at lvl 35, because they got SOMETHING for the effort, and can learn from the mistake while earning more points.

For a final prize for "Winners" I would offer a title, maybe some Rep with various NPC factions, but no more. They earned web points, supported the server, and are free to repeat the process, as the game is meant to be played, not won.
Tell me again, where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?
Stonetooth
Goodtooth
Bigabadaboom
Eugene
Eskignome
Ironmandan

Dymond
Senior Game Master

Re: Mithril challenge (Ironman inspired)

#2 » Post by Dymond » 08 Jan 2022 00:12

This is an interesting idea but would be difficult to track. As far as the "I humbly suggest every 10 levels your mithril contender achieves, that account gets 100 web points. This is a multi-pronged consideration, so allow me to elaborate on the points."
This too would be easily abused, it is easy to reach level 10.

If we had a way to track what players crafted instead of purchased, then I would love to see this type of challenge.

What I would like to see is the ability for players to add fishing as a profession as well as first aid. I personally do not see any advantage to having fishing.
"Grief is the price we pay for love."

Dewbacca

#3 » Post by Dewbacca » 08 Jan 2022 13:50

The amount of web points and when they were distributed could be adjusted.

I don't think it matters at all if the actual contender crafted the item, and every crafted item has a "made by" tag.

Fishing has LESS benefit that First Aid undoubtedly. Especially with Ironmen not able to cook or eat the foods that give benefits.

I assumed it would be coded as a variation on the Ironman challenge as the Bloodthirsty is, but it would indeed require coding.

But yeah, forget the suggestion. Not worth the time to code. Certainly not interesting to any other members of the realm.
Tell me again, where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?
Stonetooth
Goodtooth
Bigabadaboom
Eugene
Eskignome
Ironmandan

Jiranthos
Admin

#4 » Post by Jiranthos » 09 Jan 2022 23:25

Dewbacca wrote:
08 Jan 2022 13:50
The amount of web points and when they were distributed could be adjusted.

I don't think it matters at all if the actual contender crafted the item, and every crafted item has a "made by" tag.

Fishing has LESS benefit that First Aid undoubtedly. Especially with Ironmen not able to cook or eat the foods that give benefits.

I assumed it would be coded as a variation on the Ironman challenge as the Bloodthirsty is, but it would indeed require coding.

But yeah, forget the suggestion. Not worth the time to code. Certainly not interesting to any other members of the realm.
It's a cool suggestion, thanks for the time you took to write it up but I also see that it would be a nightmare to code/keep track of. It's more complex than the regular Ironman.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

leliapino

#5 » Post by leliapino » 15 Feb 2022 05:03

+1, that's a great idea.