Arena Title Distribution

Have a suggestion for TrueWoW?
bobsmyname
Donor

Arena Title Distribution

#1 » Post by bobsmyname » 14 Mar 2020 18:49

Hey everyone, seeing as how the population has depleted, and how even a smaller pool of that remaining playerbase are interested in pvp, I'm suggesting changing the Arena Reward distribution to static values, over the blizzlike %s.

(viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9475)

The Blizzlike distribution system was created for a pvp playerbase of 50k, where roughly 18k players would be eligible for the Challenger rank, 5k for rival, 1.5k for Duelist, and 250 for gladiator.

In the last Primalwow arena season, (which lasted ~14 months btw), there were I believe 28 teams on the arena ladder, probably only ~10 of which qualified as active teams (20+ games). The last Truewow season was even less, I believe at the end less than 10 teams on the ladder. This means that the Primal case, at most the Rank 2 team, which was sitting at ~1830, was the lowest ranked team eligible for the challenger title.

My suggestion is to change the title distribution to static values, as I said earlier. My thoughts are

Rank 1: Gladiator + Season Gladiator + Season Gladiator mount, and all lower titles
Rank 2: Duelist title, and all lower
Rank 3: Rival title, and lower
Rank 4 + 5: Challenger title

Of course, the prerequisits to be elibible for titles doesn't need to change (team having 20+ games, player having 20%+ of total games, no less than 100 rating under team rating), I just personally believe this is a more fair, and gives more drive for players, and alts, to queue.

Feedback as always welcome
Trans Rights

Axis
Senior Game Master

Re: Arena Title Distribution

#2 » Post by Axis » 14 Mar 2020 18:54

Simply put, there aren't enough players playing arenas to warrant this.
The system automatically handles said distribution, but there need to be enough players active on the ladder.
I highly doubt we'd hand these out manually - seeing as they are supposed to expire when a new season starts.
That would involve manually removing it from everyone and then handing it out again to the new winners.
Much more than we have the time or manpower for.
Further input required (especially from other staff members).
ImageImageImage
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke.

bobsmyname
Donor

#3 » Post by bobsmyname » 15 Mar 2020 05:03

While I understand and appreciate the staff's current workload, the blizzlike system is not effective for such a small player base. Is the response to an alternative, which would at the least help the presented issue, that the player base is too small to be rewarded fairly?

If we were to implement this system, the upkeep would only be removing titles, and giving them, every 3 months in Truewow's case, and even less often in Primal's.
Should the upkeep be too much, or just in general not worth pressuring for (which I'd understand), another alternative would be to stop the expiring on titles, seeing how in my experience on Primal, it's been the same people getting the same ranks anyways.

A third alternative, which may or may not be possible.. I'm not a programmer, would be if it's possible to change the % bases that teams earn rewards,
For example assuming 10 teams qualify for titles, as was the case in S3, the top 50% of teams earn Challenger, 30% Rival, 20% Duelist, and 10, or less if wanting to be sure, get Glad.
Trans Rights

psycroptyk

#4 » Post by psycroptyk » 13 Apr 2020 04:12

+1 from me, gives everyone more incentive to shoot for top 3 at the least

Bradonja

#5 » Post by Bradonja » 15 Apr 2020 14:49

Even if you let rank 2 and 3 teams keep their titles forever, what's the big deal. It's not blizzlike, but neither are a lot of other things on primal :P It might get people more motivation to play arena and that's what we need

Joh0239

#6 » Post by Joh0239 » 15 Apr 2020 16:00

I think this will only benefit people who already do Arenas, or try to do it. I don't see how more people would be more incentivised to que arena than they already are. The rotating Arena Season which gives out new Gladiator title didn't really increase arena activity at all, so this suggestion would just benefit the people who already do arena.

If the gear, the reduced rating requiremeant, to start with 1000 rating, the rotating Arena title, fun of arena isn't good enough for people to que arena, which been tried before, I doubt this will make any difference for more people do arena.

Though, since I'd gladly get the achievements +1.
Mandatory Character List:
Zortax - Fury/Prot
Zortix - Boomkin/Restoration
Zortex - MM
Thepower - Enha/Restoration
Zortux - Prot/Ret
Discbelf - Shadow/Disc
Deathen - Frost/Blood
Oombacca - Restoration/Feral(bear)
Kelbert - Demonology
Froxy - Arcane/Fire

bobsmyname
Donor

#7 » Post by bobsmyname » 03 Jun 2020 06:02

Looking to draw notice to this again, one in general and two with development.

The Truewow arena ladder is much larger than it was in their last season (at 31 teams on the ladder as of this post, 13 of which eligible for titles and a few within three games of) with the new changes implemented, as well the Primal ladder is starting to take some shape. There's still 2 months left in the Truewow season for more teams to join and compete, or current teams to reach eligible standings, and much much much longer for Primal as well, so I still feel there's reason to at least consider changes

Additionally, regarding the issue with title removal, I continue to propose that taking the lower titles shouldn't be something to worry about anyways, but there already is at least one case from what I've seen where titles have been kept, with presumable more hidden in retired player's characters (if these cases are to be removed I'll edit this part out)

Finally from a logic point of view, a PvP server only giving 1 team rival, duelist, or glad seems incredibly wrong

Again, feedback always welcome.
Trans Rights