[PW] Slam fix affecting guilds & players!

Should Slam be reverted?

Revert the old Slam mechanic(timing specific swings)
35%
No keep it the way it is(blizzlike)
42%
Revert the mechanic, and apply it again when TBC gets released
14%
I don't play warrior
9%

Total votes: 65

Sassafras

Re: [PW] Slam fix affecting guilds & players!

#16 » Post by Sassafras » 30 Jan 2017 19:22

Gnurg wrote:
The part about skill is made up. AAs have a certain cooldown, once it reaches 0, you AA. It went down while casting slam, so even if you spammed slam the AA would go off.
This is only partially true. If your slam was casting when your AA cooldown reached zero, it would not go out until slam finished casting. In essence, you would delay your AA timer if you did not weave slam between it properly.

There are several warriors who spent months gearing towards two-hand spec and pulling the rug out from under them like this leaves them in an awkward spot. Either they continue playing a suboptimal spec (and btw, pre-nerf it was still worse than dual wield), or they have to regear for dual wield.
Anyways, the "blizzlike" argument sounds silly for something like this, considering the fact that paladins already had custom changes applied to holy shock and lay on hands, and priests had custom changes to the damage of their dots.

I understand the drive to fix bugs, but this was something that honestly enhanced warrior gameplay, rather than restricting it.

--Suul

jvolante92

#17 » Post by jvolante92 » 30 Jan 2017 19:25

Deim wrote:I rly like how majority of warriors cry about it
"Omg we won't be able to abuse bug which increases our dps! That's so bad for us omg omg not gonna top meters after fix"
Thats how I see it. And that's pretty sad...
I did mention that the bug existed since day 1, and that warriors who have mastered this spec have been forced to respec to Dual wield. Being able to play as an ARMs warrior in vanilla before the bug fix didnt exist in the real 1.xx servers, every warrior had to be FURY, Primal changed this and added its own flavor to the class, it made the ARMS talent tree fun & and actually required extensive knowledge to play, its not a 1 button class where you would just spam SLAM, you actually had to be mindful of other things( you can ask Asteroid, Darn, Jaxson, Murien ingame). The bug didn't make ARMS warriors do better damage than fury, in fact fury out DPSed it even. What I'm saying is that reverting it to the old mechanic, made progression raids go a little bit better/smooth.

jvolante92

#18 » Post by jvolante92 » 30 Jan 2017 19:38

Gnurg wrote:The 2-handed warrior still does more damage than most classes. It was a stupid bug that was making it just as good as an instant cast slam.

The part about skill is made up. AAs have a certain cooldown, once it reaches 0, you AA. It went down while casting slam, so even if you spammed slam the AA would go off.
The biggest lost from an arms warrior is actually not timing slam properly, thus resulting significant DPS reduction. You can't just spam the skill, that would leave you rage starved. It's really about knowing what your weapon speed is, & how many slams you can fit in your auto attack. The rotation wasnt very easy and required a long time to master, thats why only a few players can pull 2k DPS.

Flooded
Former Staff

#19 » Post by Flooded » 30 Jan 2017 21:41

We are discussing potential changes internally. When we have an answer we will announce it.

Gnurg

#20 » Post by Gnurg » 30 Jan 2017 22:19

Flooded wrote:We are discussing potential changes internally. When we have an answer we will announce it.
If you revert this, I highly hope you revert the LoS thing as well.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Longi

#21 » Post by Longi » 30 Jan 2017 22:28

Gnurg wrote: If you revert this, I highly hope you revert the LoS thing as well.
[youtube]x59kS2AOrGM[/youtube]
/Hug

Brennus

#22 » Post by Brennus » 30 Jan 2017 23:27

As if stuff like this never happened on retail...

[hide="Before I started playing"]• Blizzard added a thing called Diminishing Returns.
• Blizzard nerfed the infamous Paladin's Bubble+Wings macro.
• Blizzard removed the thinking aspect of dungeons (no more need to Polymorph/Sap trash mobs, just tank and spank).[/hide]

[hide="When TBC ended"]• Blizzard killed Mage's POM-Pyro build.[/hide]

[hide="Early WotLK"]• Rogue's Fan of Knives (with Combat talent) could interrupt the hell out of everyone.
• Protection Warrior could get out of roots with Charge/Intercept/Intervene.
• Engineer's Nitro Boots allowed in arena matches.
• Knockback could dismount people - Fire Mages blast-waving people out of their flying mounts.[/hide]

Those things also had people wanting them back, after they were gone

Nerfing was/is normal on Retail, is normal here, and people crying is just part of it.
That doesn't mean bugfixes should be reverted because people want.
But this is all just my opinion.
•     Currently No longer Once again retired (now it's for real)     •

fatass11

#23 » Post by fatass11 » 30 Jan 2017 23:39

bring back volley aa!

Sassafras

#24 » Post by Sassafras » 31 Jan 2017 00:13

Brennus wrote: Nerfing was/is normal on Retail, is normal here, and people crying is just part of it.
That doesn't mean bugfixes should be reverted because people want.
But this is all just my opinion.
The changes you mentioned were, for the most part, things that degraded gameplay, making things less engaging. I can't speak for the devs, as I'm not one of them, but my perspective is that engaging mechanics should remain in play, as long as they do not upset the balance of the game, while unengaging mechanics (things with little to no counterplay/purpose) should be patched up to make for a more enjoyable experience.

As a side note, there are valid concerns on both sides. Diminishing the concerns of those who disagree with you as "crying" doesn't do justice to either side.

Brennus

#25 » Post by Brennus » 31 Jan 2017 01:38

Sorry if I sounded a little harsh, diminishing people was not my intention.

When I said "crying", I did so because it's shorter than "complaining about a change because it is neither convenient nor fun".
•     Currently No longer Once again retired (now it's for real)     •

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#26 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 31 Jan 2017 02:00

Warriors are not exactly the first class to face a correction like this. Druids and Warlocks caught a pretty major nerf when it was discovered that HoT and DoTs from those classes were scaling incorrectly from talents. Both classes were ok, and warriors will be too. I dont see how you can argue for this reversion when the mechanic was clearly wrong and is being corrected - not tuned.

Big -1
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

Vaen

#27 » Post by Vaen » 31 Jan 2017 03:46

oooooooooolde wrote:Without the fix arms and fury2h definitely requires more skill to play and the only guy i've seen pulling 2.2k is Asteroid - who has spent ages perfecting his rotations (rotation varies depending on wep speed, so gotta factor in haste buffs to optimize). It had a high skill-cealing which is basicly removed now, since you can just slam whenever gcd is up.
Just wanted to say something about this 'skill-ceiling.' It's bullshit: the rotation had this artificial constraints of having to slam whenever your swing timer was at 1.5 or above. The only thing this created is a rotation that is highly dependant on lag and consistent button mashing once your GCD was up. The worse your delay was you'd have to spend more GCDs on stuff that wasn't slam (e.g. mortal strike or overpower) in order to push back your swing timer to continue to be able to slam above 1.5. There's a reason why the highest DPS arms warriors had more percentage of their damage coming from slam. It's not skill - it's just delay-based advantage and having a slow enough weapon.

The rotation is indeed easier now, but it doesn't weigh delay so much anymore. Also, players can actually use their GCDs more freely on stuff like sunders and hamstrings on fights that require them.
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

Gnurg

#28 » Post by Gnurg » 02 Feb 2017 20:44

Patchwerk DPS with World Buffs, after slam nerf. Damage is more than reasonable, even after the nerf.

Murien was 2-handed arms
Me, Third and Ichie were DW fury
** Seems Third was DW fury. :L
Last edited by Gnurg on 02 Feb 2017 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

majstorfanta

#29 » Post by majstorfanta » 02 Feb 2017 20:56

Well that is nice idd :D cheers
Jackofclubs
Aceofhearts
Kynlovesrets

Mizzeeh

#30 » Post by Mizzeeh » 03 Feb 2017 11:05

Gnurg wrote:Patchwerk DPS with World Buffs, after slam nerf. Damage is more than reasonable, even after the nerf.

Murien was 2-handed arms
Me, Third and Ichie were DW fury
** Seems Third was DW fury. :L
Murien, you mean the person with DMN buff and Songflower that was out-dps'd by a person with 0 DMN buffs, 0 Songflower and 1 food buff(Ichie)? Sounds like a fair comparison.