Instant 60 (PW) / 80 (TW) - Pay to Win (ish)

avoidone

Instant 60 (PW) / 80 (TW) - Pay to Win (ish)

#1 » Post by avoidone » 18 Nov 2016 19:25

Hello folks,

Preamble:
I was looking at transferring a character from Retail to PW, but as I don't have a level 100 (stopped seriously playing at Cata), I was poised to pay for Legion, pay for a month sub to login to the game, boost a toon instantly to level 100, fill out the character transfer request form here on TW and boom!, instant level 60 toon (if everything I've read is accurate and level 100 is still the requirement...and my application is approved).

Suggestion:
While the above seems to be possible, I'd much rather pour such funding into this server as I have exactly 0 plans to return to Retail. My suggestion is to allow players to pay to get to high level with the same restrictions set forth in transfers (no flight points, no mount, very little gold and only basic gear). Additionally, set the price tag high to mimic that of the method I mentioned above -- $60+ USD. I do not support purchasing of anything else (i.e gear, prof skills, pvp ranking, etc.) and only suggest this as a means to generate more funding and population for the server.

Note that I'm typically very opposed to pay to win options of this nature, but as it would gain no advantage over transfers, using the method I described above, perhaps it's workable.

Cheers
-Redsweater

Nymunne
Former Staff

Re: Instant 60 (PW) / 80 (TW) - Pay to Win (ish)

#2 » Post by Nymunne » 18 Nov 2016 20:26

The level for PrimalWow was set because we have decided that it would take about the same time to level 1-100 (not counting boosts, and instant level up) as it took to level 1-60 in Vanilla. Leveling in a Vanilla expansion and even on PW takes longer than leveling on any other expansion.

Of course we run at WOLTK so it might speed up the process compared to 1.x patch but out of all servers out there I believe retail transfers are the ones that we can call free transfers. Why? Because you can pretty much boost your char, level instantly and we can say it like "no one really cares" but when it comes to any other private server players need to have a certain amount of played time, quests, dungeons, battlegrounds, arenas done and so on just so they could get that "free character".

Maybe once PW hits TBC the level requirements will be changed and lowered but for now this way worked well for Primal and there are still high demands of transfers from retail. Now there comes the part where players want to cheat their way in with faking transfers and some might succeed up to one day when they will end up having their account permanently banned for doing this in the first place but yea there is a point where they brag on how they mislead Staff and cheat the system so because of this I personally am not too found of retail transfers to begin with and hopefully in the future the system will improve to prevent players for trying to abuse it so much.

Regarding your suggestion about levels for donation: well as great as donations are for the server I don't like the idea much. Yes we can say retail has this and it's blizzlike (thinking of the tokens) but I don't think it would work on our servers mostly because:

1. Donors will get more benefits with this and we will turn into a type of server where people with donor rank think they own the server and the Staff. Sadly there are people out there who think like this even without having this feature and they fail to understand that no one forced them to donate or asked them for money else they would be banned from the server.
2. This way players could buy characters and this will lead into more people scamming and then trying to sell accounts for real money.
3. When people purchase a char they will make demands on having not only levels but gears and starting gold and whatnot if you think of the same way as like having it when it comes to predefined transfers.

So in the end I am not a big fan of having options to instant level up and give people characters for donations or VP or w/e you might think of but please keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and it has nothing to do with what the whole staff thinks about this suggestion.

avoidone

#3 » Post by avoidone » 18 Nov 2016 21:20

Thanks, Nymunne, for the quick response. I see your points and agree that it might go the route of being abused or otherwise add more drama/political issues into the community. It's good to hear perspective from the other side :).

I'm curious to hear others' points of view and I'll continue leveling my lock to 60 the good ol' fashioned way as it's really one of my favorite parts of the game, aside from raiding.

Cheers!
-Redsweater

olabola

#4 » Post by olabola » 03 Dec 2016 00:38

If people indeed are buying the instant 100 or is it 110 now? Just to get a transfer to PW/TW, it is worth looking into for the team here.. It is "money lost" if I can put it like that. Sure, I don`t really agree with it, but atm you are allowing it to happen, except you get none of the money involved, blizzard would get it. Make it the same price, and if someone is willing, put it to use on the server?

Nyeriah

#5 » Post by Nyeriah » 03 Dec 2016 00:46

Seeing how rare these cases would be I don't honestly think the profit from this would have been worth the backfire the server image gets from such services.

Eronox
MVP

#6 » Post by Eronox » 06 Dec 2016 23:23

This would harm the community since it would jump off the original trail of Spirit. The backfire would be greater and the change it self wouldn't affect anything in a enlarged addition of positivity

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

night

#7 » Post by night » 18 Jan 2017 03:34

Nymunne wrote:The level for PrimalWow was set because we have decided that it would take about the same time to level 1-100 (not counting boosts, and instant level up) as it took to level 1-60 in Vanilla. Leveling in a Vanilla expansion and even on PW takes longer than leveling on any other expansion.

Sooo.. this has bugged me since I first saw the rule ages ago. I understand it... both sides make sense. Although, if someone hasn't played in ages, has a 60, 70, or 80 that is cap at that time, then reason says they've earned the time investment... yes? no?
So, my thought now is what if they bring proof of the 'era' they last played? If they require a 100 now (110?), does that interpolate to a 90 during Pandaland? 85 for Cata?

Because there is a bit of info available ..

Ancestor

#8 » Post by Ancestor » 18 Jan 2017 04:06

OT:
[hide]leveling should be part of game...everyone wants max level instant and then afk in "lets say" dalaran?[/hide]
pay2win is 50/50 chance to work as we see from high populated servers, they got players but not quality, we have it viceversa
ppl got old and dont want to level anymore, rarely see now some 12 years playing if @ all