Changing a guild name

Step in and share ideas and experiences on in-guild and inter-guild relationships.
Cass

Re: Changing a guild name

#16 » Post by Cass » 10 May 2012 10:59

ACK! Okay, forgive the n00bish question, but how? I've tried the guild crest, but that's just for changing the tabard, and attempting to purchase a charter so I can enter a new name results in "You are already in a guild." Those are the only two options open to me...that I can see, anyway.

(Sorry, can't think clearly...very tired and very sore from a lot of physical work this past week)

narcissa

#17 » Post by narcissa » 10 May 2012 12:53

I assume you're the guild master, right? Cause if you aren't you can't change the tabard.
Cass wrote: I've tried the guild crest, but that's just for changing the tabard
I'm confused, isn't this what you wanted?

It's been quite some time since I last did this, but I'm sure as a guild master the tabard can be changed anytime from that same npc.

Cass

#18 » Post by Cass » 10 May 2012 22:18

narcissa wrote:
Cass wrote: I've tried the guild crest, but that's just for changing the tabard
I'm confused, isn't this what you wanted?

It's been quite some time since I last did this, but I'm sure as a guild master the tabard can be changed anytime from that same npc.
Sorry for any confusion, but not the tabard (and yes, the tabard is able to be changed from the NPC). No, I'm looking at being able to change a guild's name. I'm okay with it right now, but I am considering changing it to something else if everyone in the guild is okay with it. The problem is being able to do this as it doesn't seem to be possible on this server, even though it was possible with Blizzard even before the Burning Crusade hit.

Admittedly, Blizzard has a much larger staff than TrueWoW, so maybe that's why? I imagine that it does take opening up the database and finding that entry which could potentially cause lag for the players...hmm...:?

narcissa

#19 » Post by narcissa » 10 May 2012 22:24

Cass wrote:A Guild Tabard can be changed at any time by the guild master by simply visiting a Guild Master in any home city. The cost of this is 10g . "

Could this be implemented with, perhaps, a voter-point cost instead of a gold cost?
I was answering to that, saying that the gold was for the tabard not the guild name, and it can already be done by npcs (the tabard that is). The name can't be changed by npcs like it can't on retail either. Whether or not it's easy and what is needed for the change, I can't answer, that is up to the staff.

roninkenji

#20 » Post by roninkenji » 20 Apr 2013 11:11

So...after reading the posts on this topic, nothing has really been answered in my opinion. Can a guild name be changed or not? Can I get a GM to answer this please? If Blizzard does indeed do this, then so should TrueWoW. I am interested in changing my guilds name, and a concrete answer would be great. Thank you for your time.

Bluebell
Former Staff

#21 » Post by Bluebell » 21 Apr 2013 01:15

Kraith wrote:We don't rename guilds
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Intervention
Former Staff

#22 » Post by Intervention » 21 Apr 2013 04:43

That post is so old, Bluebell, that it doesn't even apply anymore.

A guild can be renamed http://www.truewow.org/?p=server&sub=policy_naming if it fits within that policy.

Guilds can also be renamed for a few other unique reasons, if the guild is new and the name is spelled wrong, the guild can be renamed for example. I have encountered a few other reasons, none off the top of my head though.

If you want your guild renamed for reasons like this or similar to the following, then it is a no...

- No longer like the name
- Guild name is spelled wrong and the guild is old, by old i mean more than a month old.
- You have taken over the guild from the old guild master and the name no longer suits your own personal or your groups mission statement.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

roninkenji

#23 » Post by roninkenji » 21 Apr 2013 09:48

Oh well...it was worth a shot I guess. The other Guild-mates and I want to rename the Guild "Riders on the Storm"...but it looks like I have to let them all down (my Guild-mates and several other players who wanted to join the guild and THIS server...IF the guilds name were changed). Sad really...considering the ease in renaming a character or even the name on an account. I thought that something like this would be a walk in the park and not so much a bother to the "powers that be". Tisk tisk......

roninkenji

#24 » Post by roninkenji » 21 Apr 2013 10:21

I apologize if my last post may seem hostile. I did not intend for that impression initially. We (my Guild and I) just wanted to change our Guild's name. If it is not within the power for the GM's to do so, then I apologize for this intrusion and assumption. In a short retrospect, our Guild's name (as it stands) is original and unique. In post-translation, it fits in total accordance and perception in regards to Alliance name-sake. So....no harm-no foul I suppose. I wish everyone well, and may all who do or do not read this have a great day/week/month/year. TRUEWOW FOREVER!!!

Intervention
Former Staff

#25 » Post by Intervention » 21 Apr 2013 10:28

The other Guild-mates and I want to rename the Guild "Riders on the Storm"...but it looks like I have to let them all down (my Guild-mates and several other players who wanted to join the guild and THIS server...IF the guilds name were changed).
If you have so many friends wanting to join the guild and the server, then signing a guild charter and moving your items over to the new guild is not such a hard task and to be honest, i encourage you to do so. You may even create a larger guild community by requesting more signatures or advertising that you wish for signatures on global channels. Hopefully the right channel of course. :lol:

Blizzard do change guild names on demand, that is true. Of course, you must comply with their own naming policies and the name must be available. However, this is a paid service.
When purchased individually, the Guild Master Faction Change costs $40 USD, the Guild Master Realm Transfer costs $35 USD, and the Guild Name Change costs $20 USD.
Why is it a paid service? Because it takes time (thus money) and effort (thus introducing new work tasks and goals to accomplish).

If we are to allow guilds to demand name changes whenever they please then so be it, but we would expect some payment for an option players have the ability to consider in-game. That option being, signing a guild charter. Think of using our services as a shortcut, of course, easy ways out generally used paid services. I do not mean payment via $$$ by the way, i mean payment by our voting currency. Something to consider adding to 'character tools' perhaps. :idea:
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

roninkenji

#26 » Post by roninkenji » 21 Apr 2013 10:53

It sounds easier than it is. Being as Guild bank tabs are expensive, and said tabs are the main issue when trying to KEEP a guild. When you and your guild have spent hard earned gold to unlock such precious bank space...starting a new guild seems ludicrous and downright stupid. Many of the options you mentioned DO indeed cost money on real servers...however 90% of those options are already free here on Truewow. In conclusion...changing a guild's name should be a given freebee, if not an economical reward-point change option in the shop section. I like the way you think Intervention...and I agree somewhat. If needed, and with educated direction...I would gladly donate a sizable and charitable portion of real money to ensure that matters such as this be dealt with in accordance to my unique situation.

Salidin

#27 » Post by Salidin » 08 Oct 2014 15:21

i came here hoping to request a guid name change. i first searched ofc for any existing information in the subject. having read this thread can i just throw my support behind the paid service, either cash or vote-points, for cahnging guild names. as mentioned already its not the guild itself but the guild bank tabs and for many ppl the co-ordination of moving everyone over from one guild to another just for the name.

Kindzadza
Former Staff

#28 » Post by Kindzadza » 08 Oct 2014 15:23

Sorry we are not offering such services and we've never did.

ColdStep

#29 » Post by ColdStep » 10 May 2015 14:08

Kraith wrote:In game text from Blizzard > wowwiki

Even if Blizzard does, we will not.
isnt this a BlizzLike? ;)

ColdStep

#30 » Post by ColdStep » 10 May 2015 14:09

Update:

Im pretty sure Roels words was to have truewow as close to blizzlike as possible, but just in another expansion. Hence the "true" wow