Changing a guild name

Step in and share ideas and experiences on in-guild and inter-guild relationships.
Zaronis

Changing a guild name

#1 » Post by Zaronis » 19 Jun 2011 05:29

A bunch of my friends made a guild on the server for hanging out while we level up, but several of our members are not happy with it, and feel like splitting off to form their own guild. I want to have the guild name changed to kill the drama, without disbanding and reforming. Our current guild name is not infringing on the policies of TrueWoW, but I find it hard to believe that several names haven't been offensive enough to warrant GM intervention.
Noblebeastx wrote: Step 3 : Once you have your 9 signatures, go back to the <Guild Master> NPC, and go 'How do I form a guild', then 'Register a guild charter'. Be sure that you've chosen the right name for your guild, with proper capitalization, as once it's registered the only way to amend the name is to reform the guild,
Just wanted to point out that I can read, but I am still looking for an alternative.

Can we get some GM or Admin help?

Kraith
Former Staff

Re: Changing a guild name

#2 » Post by Kraith » 19 Jun 2011 06:25

We don't rename guilds just as Blizzard doesn't. We only do manually as punishment for names.
Kraith - RIP Maelstrom - 80 Troll Huntard
Retired GM, Inactive from game/forum

Protective

#3 » Post by Protective » 19 Jun 2011 08:09

I believe Blizzard does change names, but only on certain problems. At least I read somewhere that Blizz changes names when you make a very good ticket with very good reasons in-game. (Not only for inappropriate names).

Cover25

#4 » Post by Cover25 » 20 Jun 2011 20:54

"- A guild's name may be changed by the guild master contacting a game master by in-game ticket, and politely requesting that the guild name be changed. The guild master must be the person to contact the GM, and the name being changed to must be within Blizzard's naming policy. "

http://www.wowwiki.com/Guild

Protective

#5 » Post by Protective » 20 Jun 2011 21:27

Cover25 wrote:"- A guild's name may be changed by the guild master contacting a game master by in-game ticket, and politely requesting that the guild name be changed. The guild master must be the person to contact the GM, and the name being changed to must be within Blizzard's naming policy. "

http://www.wowwiki.com/Guild
Yeah, that's what I read before when I was looking up the different kind of guild possible :P.

Zaronis

#6 » Post by Zaronis » 20 Jun 2011 22:50

So after we submit a ticket with a pool of new names, maybe someone who knows how the system works will see the ticket first and give us a one-time-only name change.

Cover25

#7 » Post by Cover25 » 21 Jun 2011 00:07

No, i just linked that because Kraith said Blizzard doesnt.(The question is, is Cata or WOTLK? I have no idea.)

Kraith
Former Staff

#8 » Post by Kraith » 21 Jun 2011 06:04

In game text from Blizzard > wowwiki

Even if Blizzard does, we will not.

Zaronis

#9 » Post by Zaronis » 21 Jun 2011 21:44

Aw. That's too bad.
Cover25 wrote:No, i just linked that because Kraith said Blizzard doesnt.(The question is, is Cata or WOTLK? I have no idea.)
Blizzard has allowed guild renaming since Burning Crusade at least, maybe Vanilla.

rainking

#10 » Post by rainking » 24 Jun 2011 05:57

i don´t see why GM´s won´t do this favor to some of us.
i´m wanting to change my guild´s name since i found i was´t so originnal as i thought when i created it..
every server have a guild with this name, and that makes it really hard to organize a blog or or something like this for my guildmates

cabbagestsai

#11 » Post by cabbagestsai » 27 Jul 2011 18:09

lol me 2 my friend who created it has a typo and now our guild has a funny name, it would be really nice if you can change the name for us

Kraith
Former Staff

#12 » Post by Kraith » 27 Jul 2011 19:31

Read the 10 post thread and you'll see my answer twice.

Xentok

#13 » Post by Xentok » 27 Jul 2011 20:28

Remember kids, YOU work for the GM's.

Cass

#14 » Post by Cass » 10 May 2012 10:30

FIRST - I apologize for necro-ing this topic.

SECOND - this is something that Blizzard has been doing since 2010, so it's not Cata-specific.

"A guild's name may be changed by the guild master contacting a game master by in-game ticket, and politely requesting that the guild name be changed. The guild master must be the person to contact the GM, and the name being changed to must be within Blizzard's naming policy. The other option is if the name is reported for violating Blizzard's naming policy. A Guild Tabard can be changed at any time by the guild master by simply visiting a Guild Master in any home city. The cost of this is 10g . "

Could this be implemented with, perhaps, a voter-point cost instead of a gold cost? Or would it still be too much of a burden, given that it probably has to do with opening up the MySQL and manually changing the entry in the database?

narcissa

#15 » Post by narcissa » 10 May 2012 10:46

The gold cost is for the tabard, not the name, and it can already be changed by npcs.