Time-walking on TrueWoW?

Share your victories and discuss tactics, encounters and group composition, and look to future challenges for your band of heroes.
Gnurg

Time-walking on TrueWoW?

#1 » Post by Gnurg » 14 Nov 2016 17:41

This isn't a suggestion and I don't know if it will ever be possible to implement, but I would like to know if there would be any interest in this. It isn't a future I have seen on any other server.

One of the drawbacks with TrueWoW is that we have reached the end of the expansion and don't intend to progress into further expansions. We're therefore stuck raiding the same raid on a weekly basis, where the older raids have become trivial and obsolete (no good gear!). It's really a shame, because quite a few of these older raids have been polished in newer time and there are quite a few players who miss out on the experience of raiding those raids with the gear corresponding to that release. For new players, it doesn't seem very appealing to join the ranks of already geared players to farm Icecrown Citadel on a weekly basis.

Timewalking?
You have a variable, timewalking, which can be enabled/disabled (.set timewalking on/off). Should it be disabled, all raids work as they did before. Should it be enabled, it will work as described below.

Upon entering a raid (i.e. Naxxramas), your items would be changed out with your Naxxramas timewalking items. To begin with, this should be nothing, just some empty bags. Upon leaving the raid, you change back to your normal items, meaning you can't bring any of the obtained items outside the raid.

Only raid members with timewalking enabled should see each other, so you can't work play together with an Icecrown Citadel geared player inside Naxxramas, they would have to use their Naxxramas timewalking gear as well.

There should be vendors giving free starter gear (Naxxramas would have some blue items, Ulduar would have some Naxxramas items, etc.), allowing you to prepare for the current tier. They would as well provide enchants, gems... basically, everything you need to raid the instance.

There should be no economic gain from playing in this mode. There should not be possible to disenchant or sell gear, they have to be deleted if you want to get rid of them.

Give me your feedback on this. Look away from implementation obstacles.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

ccrs
Former Staff

Re: Time-walking on TrueWoW?

#2 » Post by ccrs » 14 Nov 2016 18:17

It is possible development wise, quite a nightmare, but possible nonetheless

and yeah, I personally like the idea. though I dont know how it can fit on a blizzlike server :P

kermo14k

#3 » Post by kermo14k » 14 Nov 2016 18:24

Gotta attract people someway !
Wtfnoheals Prot PvE/Retri PvE
Izu - Marksmanship PvE/PvP
Windcaller - Resto PvE/ Ele PvP
Retired from TW.Went off to find cheeki breeki in different places. Didn't find it here!

Nyeriah

#4 » Post by Nyeriah » 14 Nov 2016 19:07

That's enormous work to implement such complex system. And what exactly would they get for doing timewalking reward wise? People hardly do Naxxramas nowadays even with the t3 challenge in place, I don't know. I like the idea too but I'm not quite sure we'd have the results we'd expect

Gnurg

#5 » Post by Gnurg » 14 Nov 2016 19:43

Nyeriah wrote:That's enormous work to implement such complex system. And what exactly would they get for doing timewalking reward wise? People hardly do Naxxramas nowadays even with the t3 challenge in place, I don't know. I like the idea too but I'm not quite sure we'd have the results we'd expect
Why do people do Icecrown Citadel week by week (even when they've beaten the instance before)? I honestly don't know...

I'd say the biggest difference between doing an old raid with the correct tier vs. ICC gear is the challenge. You can breeze through both Naxxramas and Ulduar (to some degree) without many problems. You don't have to collect items because you're already way above BiS for that raid tier. It becomes very simple and the progression aspect disappears, because you downed the whole raid on less than 2-3 hours without following any tactic what so ever.

With time-walking, you bring back the progression aspect, because the first week you would have to venture into Naxxramas with your blue items, being super thrilled if you were to pick up an ilvl 200 epic from Patchwerk after the n-th attempt. It's just as if Naxxramas was re-released. Should you not feel like progressing in Naxxramas that week, you instead go timewalking in Ulduar, where you have your Ulduar timewalking items (which are independent of the other raids). Creating a variated raiding schedule for the players.

It might attract new players as well, should the rumour about the concept be spread properly. Who doesn't like the idea of progressing multiple raids at once?

I would never consider giving rewards for this, but you could perhaps have some statistic displaying what bosses a player has downed on timewalking-mode. This is nothing that should be discussed now, as for this to be successful, people need to be interested in the idea alone.

As for complexity, I believe it lies in the item-transaction between timewalking and non-timewalking mode. Should that be manageable, everything else should be of minor problematics.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Nymunne
Former Staff

#6 » Post by Nymunne » 14 Nov 2016 19:49

It's not a bad idea but I am not sure if we have someone who would work on developing something like this.

Gnurg

#7 » Post by Gnurg » 14 Nov 2016 20:00

Gnurg wrote:Give me your feedback on this. Look away from implementation obstacles.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

mcheka

#8 » Post by mcheka » 14 Nov 2016 20:11

Though your implementation differs, your idea is fundamentally to turn TrueWoW into Dalaran-WoW minus the requirement to complete previous raids to enter the next tier.

I'd be all for this ruleset, but I don't think it would work on TrueWoW. The only way in which it would be appealing, imo, would be if all achieves for all those dungeons would be wiped. I don't think that's very fair though. Otherwise, you're left in the scenario us Inquisition people are in right now - "realm first boss X conditioned on new rule Y" where Y is a certain set of fixes, ICC buff changes, and so forth.

I think, unfortunately, that would be best on a new server. I wouldn't be against having this on TW because it's been a dream of mine for long to do Ulduar in Naxx/Ulduar gear here. I don't think that'd be worth the potentially huge implementation cost for the devs.

Evening ignoring implementation cost, I'm neither a +1 or a -1 because sadly I don't think the feature would be used much.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Gnurg

#9 » Post by Gnurg » 14 Nov 2016 20:37

mcheka wrote:Though your implementation differs, your idea is fundamentally to turn TrueWoW into Dalaran-WoW minus the requirement to complete previous raids to enter the next tier.

I'd be all for this ruleset, but I don't think it would work on TrueWoW. The only way in which it would be appealing, imo, would be if all achieves for all those dungeons would be wiped. I don't think that's very fair though. Otherwise, you're left in the scenario us Inquisition people are in right now - "realm first boss X conditioned on new rule Y" where Y is a certain set of fixes, ICC buff changes, and so forth.

I think, unfortunately, that would be best on a new server. I wouldn't be against having this on TW because it's been a dream of mine for long to do Ulduar in Naxx/Ulduar gear here. I don't think that'd be worth the potentially huge implementation cost for the devs.

Evening ignoring implementation cost, I'm neither a +1 or a -1 because sadly I don't think the feature would be used much.
Don't they allow later raid's items in older raids there too? Besides progression, I don't see much similiarities as this would be an optional future for when you're bored of farming ICC.

If you want achievements, those could be shown together with what bosses you've done (custom for what you've done on timewalking mode), but again... that shouldn't be made the pushing point.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

mcheka

#10 » Post by mcheka » 14 Nov 2016 21:01

Gnurg wrote:Don't they allow later raid's items in older raids there too? Besides progression, I don't see much similiarities as this would be an optional future for when you're bored of farming ICC.
No. Which means you can never really get carried, and even if you get "The Immortal" years after the server is launched, the achievement is just as impressive as it was years prior. It's not a bad idea for TW either, and you suggest something similar except optional and not enforced.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Longi

#11 » Post by Longi » 14 Nov 2016 22:19

-1 just why.... People dont care about old raids. Tw doesnt have community for things/ events like this. Players here want only ICC over and over again and those few Who care more is not enough.

adiba

#12 » Post by adiba » 15 Nov 2016 06:31

Longi wrote:-1 just why.... People dont care about old raids. Tw doesnt have community for things/ events like this. Players here want only ICC over and over again and those few Who care more is not enough.
Wrong, at least me myself can fill a 10 man raid for Naxx. There are enough, not a lot but enough to even fill 25 man pugs.
+1.

Gnurg

#13 » Post by Gnurg » 15 Nov 2016 10:50

Bump.

I want both positive and negative feedback.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Longi

#14 » Post by Longi » 15 Nov 2016 11:04

adiba wrote:
Longi wrote:-1 just why.... People dont care about old raids. Tw doesnt have community for things/ events like this. Players here want only ICC over and over again and those few Who care more is not enough.
Wrong, at least me myself can fill a 10 man raid for Naxx. There are enough, not a lot but enough to even fill 25 man pugs.
+1.
can you fill 10 man raid for naxx ? Cool, you dont need this. there is difference to do Naxx with full ICC gear when it take lets lay less than hour and everything is easier and if you have to do it in Naxx season gear when some bosses are harder than bosses in ICC. as I wrote before TW doesnt have this type of players, and you can see it in ICC too, none will do it hard way if there is easy way. Most of people have achievements already and none will do it for gear. If you have a good group of friends who can do Naxx with you, you are lucky and you can do this in every raid. there is not needed special command for " time traveling "

milanlord

#15 » Post by milanlord » 15 Nov 2016 11:11

I agree with Longi, its nice to hear you can gather people for Naxx, but this feature...and many others that people were thinking to make as a suggestion is just a step away from Blizzlike.
Retired - Sadly I can't agree with cf bg's being a good choice for the server. The only thing we got with this feature is less bg's nowadays and less people online and I can't participate in this big mistake.