[PW] PvP Tier List

Discuss Player versus Player mechanics and tactics with both stout friends and vanquished foes from the battlefield.
skyx

[PW] PvP Tier List

#1 » Post by skyx » 27 May 2017 05:43

Hi guys,

I want to establish a tier list for all specs and classes currently on PW for PvP (Battlegrounds for now).

I have only played on PW for a few days so please advise me on what tier a class+spec should assigned to and if you

agree/disagree with the list. Currently, the following is entirely my opinion on what I have seen (so don't taze me bro!)

(Assuming equal gear and skill)

S = Strong
A = Above Average
B = Balanced
C = Not viable/hardly viable

Code: Select all

S - 
Shadow Priest,
Aff. Warlock, Dest. Warlock,
Ret. Paladin,

A -
Bal. Druid, Resto. Druid, Feral Druid,
Fire Mage,
Ele. Shaman,
MM Hunter,
Arms Warrior, Prot. Warrior,

B -
Frost Mage,
Holy Paladin,
Resto. Shaman, Enh. Shaman,
BM Hunter,
Disc. Priest,
Sub Rogue,

C -
Arcane Mage,
Demo. Warlock,
Prot. Paladin,
Holy Priest,
Fury Warrior,
Surv. Hunter,
Combat Rogue, Mut. Rogue,

Notes:

Warlocks are strong as hell. They are the strongest class in WOTLK and they aren't reliant on haste gear as much as other caster classes. Their PW TBC version will almost be their WOTLK version minus haunt/Chaos bolt. Tons of burst damage and CC.

Shadow Priests have access to Psychic Horror and Devouring Plague as standard. This is huge as a 2.4.3 Shadow Priest didn't have access to an additional CC and non Undead/Night Elves didn't have access to an additional DoT.

Mages don't have access to the Wotlk version of mage armour (-50% DoTs on the mage). Also the lack of haste on gear affects the frost spec.

Retribution Paladins do a lot of damage when their enemies have 0 resilience. This was also the case in s5 WOTLK.

Rogues that are not Subtlety spec are boned on PW. They are not mobile enough without the ability "Preparation". Their abilties cost too much energy but they have early access to "dismantle" (an ability which was not available until WOTLK).

Arms Warriors are currently lacking spell reflect (will have during TBC) and armor penetration gear. They are still unstoppable wrecking machines with a healbot supporting them however.

Please critique below.

EDIT: Moved Prot Warrior to A tier.
Last edited by skyx on 02 Jun 2017 05:28, edited 5 times in total.

Floss

Re: [PW] PvP Tier List

#2 » Post by Floss » 27 May 2017 10:02

Gonna comment only on Rogues :

I would get Subtlety down to "Hardly Viable" , the damage is a joke with hemo , and you said it : if we try Backstab/ambush which are considered normal attacks, we would lose alot of energy.

Actually , Combat might be the only balanced spec for PVP .Although it lacks Killing Spree but atleast you get Prep and some good energy compensation (Lower energy cost on SS,Vitality and AR for burst). maybe even Combat Potency.

But like i said before ,i personally prefer Mobility(Shadowstep) , we'll see.

Good job with the post , love to hear more comments.

loveable

#3 » Post by loveable » 27 May 2017 10:39

Floss wrote:
27 May 2017 10:02
Gonna comment only on Rogues :
I would get Subtlety down to "Hardly Viable" , the damage is a joke with hemo , and you said it : if we try Backstab/ambush which are considered normal attacks, we would lose alot of energy.
maybe because u r using Mace , hemo does 110% weapon damage and 160% if u equip dagger
also i would say hemo is matched by "sinister calling" talent , but if u want to go for this talent , u cant spend many talent on assasin tab which u lose 10 energy talent but , still u have better choice to use "master of subtlety"
almost noone use this talent specialy in wotlk , but in vanila and tbc its so usefull
maybe try this :
subt

also as u use dagger for what i said , is better to use ghostly strike talent and and malice 1/5
subt 2
Beating Everything In WoW -> Ghost <-
Get Rekt , Get Rekt , Get Rekt = RBG
Get Rekt , Get Rekt , Get Rekt = Not RBG

Floss

#4 » Post by Floss » 27 May 2017 13:34

loveable wrote:
27 May 2017 10:39
maybe because u r using Mace , hemo does 110% weapon damage and 160% if u equip dagger
also i would say hemo is matched by "sinister calling" talent , but if u want to go for this talent , u cant spend many talent on assasin tab which u lose 10 energy talent but , still u have better choice to use "master of subtlety"
almost noone use this talent specialy in wotlk , but in vanila and tbc its so usefull
maybe try this :
subt

also as u use dagger for what i said , is better to use ghostly strike talent and and malice 1/5
subt 2

1)Already did the testing, Slow mace dmg x1.21 is same as a fast dagger x1.75 (items of save ilvl).
My current spec is hybrid and not viable in any normal world but it's ok dps for now , TBC plans will be different so just ignore it.
2) Your spec is basic Wotlk but it will have super low damage on hemo and "ok" damage on backstab(no Puncturing Wounds or Leathlity), regardless , it loses alot of energy.
3)Ghostly strike is just another ability that barely has benefit over hemo(also costs more energy and has a cooldown).

Edit : i just did some testing on PTR , the only normal dps specs are the following (both without prep).
1) Mutilate :
https://truewow.org/armory/talentcalc.p ... ,0&realm=p

2)Combat (with double maces for Arp increase) :
https://truewow.org/armory/talentcalc.p ... ,0&realm=p

skyx

#5 » Post by skyx » 02 Jun 2017 05:20

Rogue specs without Preparation (in BGs) are simply meals on wheels.

Sub rogues remain in B tier imo because they can 2-shot with T2 gear/daggers ambush spec (i.e. heavily gear dependant but viable nevertheless).

I am also moving prot warriors up due to the overall survivability, damage and cc they put out while hardly doing much.

Enhancement Shamans might be A-tier material but I have not seen much.

Healers in general are in B tier except resto druids because they have to hardcast their heals. Holy Paladins might deserve to be A tier due to Holy Shock and overall survivability/utility but I feel they are too easily crowd controlled. Please remember that we currently have brainless ret paladins training down everything just by pressing a few buttons while back pedalling and then using LoH/DIvine Shield (that can't be dispelled).
Last edited by skyx on 02 Jun 2017 05:35, edited 1 time in total.

Brennus

#6 » Post by Brennus » 02 Jun 2017 05:34

You putting frost mages way below Ret. Paladins, Warlocks and Shadow Priests makes me want to play Primal and roll Frost Mage so badly mate :twisted: 8-)

Such a pity I probably won't :(
Hardly have time for sleeping... let alone for playing this game :cry:
Spoiler:
I have a twink 79 Frost Mage on TW, and I still regret not leveling him earlier...
By the time he was ready, the 70-79 BG bracket was already dead :cry:
•     Currently No longer Once again retired (now it's for real)     •

skyx

#7 » Post by skyx » 02 Jun 2017 05:44

Brennus wrote:
02 Jun 2017 05:34
You putting frost mages way below Ret. Paladins, Warlocks and Shadow Priests makes me want to play Primal and roll Frost Mage so badly mate :twisted: 8-)

Such a pity I probably won't :(
Hardly have time for sleeping... let alone for playing this game :cry:
Spoiler:
I have a twink 79 Frost Mage on TW, and I still regret not leveling him earlier...
By the time he was ready, the 70-79 BG bracket was already dead :cry:
Not trying to belittle you or anyone but it is my opinion. I have played WOTLK frost mage for a long time now. I have two mages with 2200+ experience (from AlphaWoW and OmegaWoW '12-'14) but even then, I consider myself a Shadow Priest main.

lv 60 mages currently do not have access to spell steal and wotlk mage armour, making it harder to deal with these classes I deem S tier atm. Also their damage output isn't as great as others due to low to zero haste ratings and the lack of ice lance for shatter combos (until TBC).

But yeah, Frost Mage might indeed be A tier material or I should add sub-tiers to add it in between A and B.

Brennus

#8 » Post by Brennus » 02 Jun 2017 07:29

Hmm, so, is this for level 60?
Oh, sorry then, I thought this was a (like a) prediction of Primal TBC phase... You know... level 70s doing BGs and Arenas (and ganking people in Hellfire Peninsula/Isle of Quel'Danas :lol: )...

I think Frost Mages are where they deserve...
Yes, Vanilla gear is "very cruel" to Mages :cry:

Also, Feral Druids? Hmm...
That would be the last thing I would play during Vanilla to be honest...
But, if they are above average, that makes me very happy!
And no, I did not play retail Vanilla.

I guess there is no need for a tier/subtier between A and B.

Edit: Almost forgot... WotLK client will probably result in a lot of balance (perhaps).
Plez giff POM+Pyro!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

skyx

#9 » Post by skyx » 02 Jun 2017 09:15

Feral Druid have the ability set to kill most classes and survive hence why I rated them highly.

PrimalWoW is still 3.3.5 based at the end of the day so it is not hard to say which class+spec is strong even with limited exposure.

Brennus

#10 » Post by Brennus » 02 Jun 2017 10:22

skyx wrote:Feral Druid have the ability set to kill most classes and survive hence why I rated them highly.
Sounds fair.

skyx wrote:PrimalWoW is still 3.3.5 based at the end of the day so it is not hard to say which class+spec is strong even with limited exposure.
My opinion about Feral Druid was based on the gear available to them during Vanilla.

I mean, doesn't this look like Blizzard guys were on mushrooms?

They could work with Rogue gear though... in that case, no set bonuses. :(