[PW] - PvP Gear compared to PvE Gear

Discuss Player versus Player mechanics and tactics with both stout friends and vanquished foes from the battlefield.
Blazensoul
Donor

[PW] - PvP Gear compared to PvE Gear

#1 » Post by Blazensoul » 02 Mar 2017 21:04

I've never really gotten into end game PvP or PvE so be gentle on me...

Can someone point me to a forum or explain if max PvP gear is equivalent to raid PvE gear when it comes to competing in PvP (I'm not talking about comparing PvP/PvE gear for raids, strictly for PvP)? I'd like to get into PvP because I don't typically have a predictable play schedule to plan on what days I can raid. I'd just like to know if it's possible to keep up with those who have raid gear compared to those who have PvP gear in BG's.

Thanks

Gnurg

Re: [PW] - PvP Gear compared to PvE Gear

#2 » Post by Gnurg » 02 Mar 2017 21:34

PvP gear in Vanila isn't really PvP gear. The difference between them and PvE gear is just that they have more stamina. Resilence (damage reduction + some other stuff) isn't added in before TBC, so you can easily PvP with PvE gear. I ran battlegrounds with 3000 health as a warrior and it went fine. The 2000 extra health I have now doesn't really make much difference, DoTs kill me anyways if I don't get any healing. I do btw not use any PvP items in my PvP set right now, end-game PvE items are better, afaik (atleast for a warrior).

You can buy the second best 'PvP' set for a small price (like 30k honor), which can easily be earned in one or two days.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Blazensoul
Donor

#3 » Post by Blazensoul » 02 Mar 2017 21:40

Gnurg wrote:You can buy the second best 'PvP' set for a small price (like 30k honor), which can easily be earned in one or two days.
So if I get this set I would be on somewhat of an even playing field? Regarding gear not skill :p

Gnurg

#4 » Post by Gnurg » 02 Mar 2017 21:43

Blazensoul wrote:
Gnurg wrote:You can buy the second best 'PvP' set for a small price (like 30k honor), which can easily be earned in one or two days.
So if I get this set I would be on somewhat of an even playing field? Regarding gear not skill :p
Even without it, you would be on fairly even ground (if you don't count in class-advantages). The extra health the PvP gear provide doesn't make that much difference, Imo. The set is probably a nice start, though.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#5 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 03 Mar 2017 02:08

This really depends on your class and spec, to be honest. For example, PVP Druid gear is outstanding for ferals. The shaman gear isn't really great for any spec. In general, PVP is loaded with Stamina, but some classes PVE sets are already stamina heavy. One of the major benefits of PVE gear over PVP, however, is that weapons are *much* easier to get raiding than in PVP, where Arena rating is required.

Don't forget when looking at PVP gear that there is also decent stuff from the BG vendors (WSG in Ashenvale/Barrens, AB in Arathi, AV in Alterac).

Good luck!
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick