Item level

Discuss Player versus Player mechanics and tactics with both stout friends and vanquished foes from the battlefield.
spectralzenith

Item level

#1 » Post by spectralzenith » 09 Sep 2016 20:50

Hi, can someone explain why PvE items always have a higher item level than PvP items? As you may know, ICC25H gear has 7 levels more than Wrathful gear and it is even more if we compare some item types. Is resilience really that strong, or PvE players are supposed to have some chance against PvP players as a reward for killing the main boss on the highest difficulty?

Eronox
MVP

Re: Item level

#2 » Post by Eronox » 09 Sep 2016 20:54

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

spectralzenith

#3 » Post by spectralzenith » 09 Sep 2016 21:00

"MoP Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Added."

mcheka

#4 » Post by mcheka » 10 Sep 2016 08:48

I don't have a good answer for you, and probably only Blizz knows. As a result of this, some PvE items are superior to some PvP items even for PvP. Who knows what Blizz was thinking back when designing these systems back in WotLK.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Naljs

#5 » Post by Naljs » 04 Dec 2016 08:27

Isn't it simply because PvE items need to be stronger so they are needed in raids? So people don't go wintrade some and get PvP gear to clear things like ICC? I think it's directly related to that.

That PvE items are surperior to PvP items even for PvP is a matter of perspective. If you get focused in 3v3 with say 1000 resilience you will most likely go down pretty fast. In this case PvP items weigh in heavier and becomes more valuable.
However, sometimes you can equip a PvE piece with a desired stat (arpen, mp5, haste..) and still be at a desired resilience level. This doesn't make the item better per se, just more fitting to the situation and build.
"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
King Charles XII of Sweden (1682-1718)
Yes, I know there is a special place in Hell for me.
It's called a Throne.

mcheka

#6 » Post by mcheka » 05 Dec 2016 06:48

Naljs wrote:Isn't it simply because PvE items need to be stronger so they are needed in raids? So people don't go wintrade some and get PvP gear to clear things like ICC? I think it's directly related to that.
That's not quite true. PvP items waste itemization on resilience and stamina, so at the same item level, a PvE item will beat a PvP item in PvE scenarios.

There are rare exceptions to this, for instance, such the ilvl 277 Wrathful agility 2-handed weapon, which is the true BiS for Feral tanks in this patch simply due to the insane amounts of stamina (it even beats the ilvl 284 Oathbinder heroic from LK25HC).
Naljs wrote:That PvE items are surperior to PvP items even for PvP is a matter of perspective. If you get focused in 3v3 with say 1000 resilience you will most likely go down pretty fast. In this case PvP items weigh in heavier and becomes more valuable.
However, sometimes you can equip a PvE piece with a desired stat (arpen, mp5, haste..) and still be at a desired resilience level. This doesn't make the item better per se, just more fitting to the situation and build.
Show me one warrior who will take off his DBW heroic in PvP. :)
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

skyx

#7 » Post by skyx » 07 Dec 2016 01:26

mcheka wrote:[
Show me one warrior who will take off his DBW heroic in PvP. :)
I know one.

ON TOPIC:

High endgame PvE gear is much better than PvP gear and causes a ton of imbalance.