about Ability of hunter : Deterrence in BG

Discuss Player versus Player mechanics and tactics with both stout friends and vanquished foes from the battlefield.
Sareh

about Ability of hunter : Deterrence in BG

#1 » Post by Sareh » 25 Apr 2011 14:07

Hi all
" if you think i did wrong post please move it not remove , thanks"

here my screenshot :

isn't that Deterrence immune to physical hit ? when player cast Deterrence , they appear around body , so other player can't attack from behind.any idea?

Stray

Re: about Ability of hunter : Deterrence in BG

#2 » Post by Stray » 15 May 2011 00:25

Dodge is a form of melee mitigation where the entire melee swing is avoided.
Only close range melee attacks can be dodged; a ranged attack or a spell cannot be dodged. Players can only dodge attacks if they are facing their opponent, however a mob can dodge attacks that are from behind. Incapacitated targets (stunned for example) cannot dodge.
Block is the ability of a shield to absorb melee damage in addition to its armor value.
Blocked atacks against players cannot be a critical strike.It should be noted, however, that only special attacks—i.e. yellow-damage instant attacks such as Claw, Overpower, and Sinister Strike, and yellow-damage on-next-swing attacks such as Heroic Strike and Raptor Strike—have been observed as inflicting blocked crits. Normal white-damage auto-attacks have never been seen inflicting a blocked crit, and are probably subject to the same mutually-exclusive-attack-result rules that attacks made against players are. Attacks from the rear cannot be Blocked.
Parry Targets of melee attacks can have a chance to parry each incoming frontal attack. Miss chance and Critical chance are unmodified by Parry, so you're not "waisting" Parries on misses nor are you able to Parry a Critical. A successful parry nullifies the attack (for the attacker it is like a miss) and reduces the swing timer of the defender. Attacks from the rear cannot be parried.
Although about Deterrence.
WotLK Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): This ability now allows the hunter to parry spells and attacks from behind as well as in front. Now has a new visual spell effect.
That means you were either incapacitated (stunned for example) or it bugged. Anyway nothing to complain since you actually can parry even critical strikes on the server (don't think it is usually like that).

Matsy

#3 » Post by Matsy » 15 May 2011 12:16

Why do you think when hunters use that they start to backpedal? :lol:
Matsy pls
Mats - Frost PVE Troll Death Knight - Retired
Matsy - Moonkin/Restoration Druid (Laz0r Chicken)
Mat - Beastmaster Orc Hunter
Matz -Retribution Paladin
Matu - Troll Shadow Priest
Bolts - Elemental Troll Shaman
Kungfu - Orc Fury Warrior
Trollage - Troll Arcane Mage
Mato - Orc Affliction Warlock
Findme - Troll Assassination Rogue

I Pity the Fool who's illogical
Friends are just people you hate the least
I reject your reality and substitute my own

ribbaribbahey

#4 » Post by ribbaribbahey » 24 Jul 2011 12:38

Tho sometimes happens with cyclone too,when ur cycloned you still take white damage
As you should deflect all you shouldnt be able to be stunned or be under similar effects after casted deterrence as there is no ability that isnt is those 3 groups: melee attack (parry/dodge) , ranged attack (miss? / deflect) , spell (deflect). The only thing that can touch you are DoTs if you had them b4 casting deterrence and AoE(not sure about aoes)
Don't go crazy on this because in arena if someone sees you popping deterrence he just waits doing something else or switchs target

Ribbaz - 2300 2v2 Enhancement
Pokimans - 2100 2v2 Fire
Cazzuto - Arms PvE / 1950 2v2
Dextr - Blood Dps PvE / Frost "priority list" Dps PvE
Ribba - Beast Mastery PvP / Survival PvE

My Enhancement PvP guide

Kniteknite

#5 » Post by Kniteknite » 12 Sep 2013 23:31

Deterrence should have a 100% chance to deflect spells , on top of the parry/dodge. so it should deflect all spells except for Chaos Bolt , which ignores all dmg reducing abilities. Unfortunately things like stunning physical attacks are getting through. ~ i'll try to test to see if Overpowers are able to be granted if I'm facing away from the warrior, as dodges should only be possible when facing an enemy. Deterrence should grant 100% parry from behind as well as in front, so I'm curious to see what the result will be. Seems I have been Overpowered from behind a few times, but have no evidence. I bet that sounds funny :D
btw~"Block is the ability of a shield to absorb melee damage in addition to its armor value." Is it possible to block w no shield equipped, just based on armor/ defense rating? I thought that wasn't possible in pvp
Last edited by Kniteknite on 30 Nov 2013 11:01, edited 3 times in total.
" French fries are like steaks, where the potato is the cow and gets cut up, like meat does, only on a smaller scale. "

Eisen
Donor

#6 » Post by Eisen » 13 Sep 2013 10:33

Deflecting is now a damage reduction? That's a new one to me.
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!
bnet: Eisen#2183

Myaoming
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Myaoming » 14 Sep 2013 18:44

It just bugs sometimes for some unknown reason, Kniteknite.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Boxis
Donor

#8 » Post by Boxis » 14 Sep 2013 19:33

If you are talking about cheap shot then it should go through,so beware not to detterence when rogue stealths.

Vaen

#9 » Post by Vaen » 15 Sep 2013 02:05

Judging by the combat log you probably were stunned right before casting deterrence (but that would be weird considering how intolerant trinity is to stuff like double sap double blind and so on)
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

Myaoming
Former Staff

#10 » Post by Myaoming » 15 Sep 2013 12:50

This is old by the way.
And for what Boxis said, it's true. Every attack that requires the player to be behind his target can go through Deterrance.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Kniteknite

#11 » Post by Kniteknite » 16 Sep 2013 01:22

I think it needs to be fixed so that the deflect property is first, Blizzard changed it to just deflect and took out the parry/dodge, most likely because of this bug, the parry/dodge from behind not working, also, Overpower is an attack that procs from dodge, but should be able to be DEFLECTED , if not dodged/parried. It can miss too, but i think the deflection aspect of deterrence is not working correctly or in tandem

a few examples http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/407/nm1u.jpg

http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/24/0ob0.jpg
http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/96/rg7y.jpg
http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/600/9d1b.jpg

http://www.wowwiki.com/Deflect http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/203/xwhr.jpg
http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/706/5g9f.jpg
http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/600/806v.jpg
" French fries are like steaks, where the potato is the cow and gets cut up, like meat does, only on a smaller scale. "

Kniteknite

#12 » Post by Kniteknite » 05 Oct 2013 02:41

Just yesterday http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/96/lths.jpg like i said there is something wrong with the way spells and attacks are being treated by Deterrence , some judgements seem to be treated as ranged attacks, and the attacks that should be parried from behind are being treated as though Deterrence cannot parry attacks from behind

emsy
Former Staff

#13 » Post by emsy » 05 Oct 2013 11:24

Kniteknite wrote:Just yesterday http://imageshack.com/scaled/1600x1200/96/lths.jpg like i said there is something wrong with the way spells and attacks are being treated by Deterrence , some judgements seem to be treated as ranged attacks, and the attacks that should be parried from behind are being treated as though Deterrence cannot parry attacks from behind
you CANNOT parry attacks from behind

Justicelight
Donor

#14 » Post by Justicelight » 05 Oct 2013 13:12

Oh rly? :D:D:D:D

http://www.wowwiki.com/Deterrence :

" Wrath-Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): This ability now allows the hunter to parry spells and attacks from behind as well as in front. Now has a new visual spell effect."

GG.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Nyeriah

#15 » Post by Nyeriah » 05 Oct 2013 15:33

Judgements are spells. And yeah, it should deflect everything except tthings which are stated to not be dodgeable or parriable such as cheap shot etc