How about some PvP event?

Discuss Player versus Player mechanics and tactics with both stout friends and vanquished foes from the battlefield.
Zekai

How about some PvP event?

#1 » Post by Zekai » 30 Aug 2014 20:06

WANTED: DEAD OR DEAD

It would be pretty simple. GMs pick a player/volunteer so he is flagged for both factions PvP. This could also apply for a whole party of Wanted Players.

Selected player(s) must have time, of course, and would be forbidden to leave the selected area/enter sanctuaries/teleport/hiding in stupidly hard to find/reach/blink only locations. That kind of stuff.

This would include no Flying Mount (Normal mount would be ok) and no forever stealthing/prowling. Just have some GM watching over him or smth. You could also choose an Azeroth location for this, as they are big enough and you can't use flying there.

Drop the player/party in a World Zone that's big enough. Give them some time to move, then have all the bounty hunters set in different locations (really spread so they don't engage each other at start) and give them the signal to start the hunt.

The wanted player gets a boost to stats, be it health, mana, damage or healing, or all. Dunno how much, that would depend on how people think of this. You could buff them all and have them scattered across the map, of slightly buffed and bunched as a group.

All "bounty hunters" are flagged for PvP for both factions. Exception would be players on party (like Gurubashi Arena). No raids allowed.

The mission would be to kill the Wanted Player and have a screenshot (or the GM watching the Wanted player could judge, dunno).

Now comes the funny part. Since you can only be in party, a max group of 5 players would be hunting the Wanted Player, but the other bounty hunters could also attack them to ruin their chances of getting the kill. The player/party with the killing blow on the Wanted Player(s) would be the winners and get dunno, some kind of prize or shit.

The point of the event would be to have some world PvP fun, as all bounty hunters would have to fight each others to cripple their opponents chance of winning. Also, the joy of fighting as a group some players that are slightly more powerfull than your current party.

You could make it "kill all the targets" or "kill THE target with bodyguards" for the winning credit. As I said, no players in the event zone (Grizzly Hills or something big and with lots of obstacles) could use flying mount, only regular mounts. This includes druid flight form.

GMs could announce clues to the target current location too :D

As for the prizes, you could have every participant give some coin and the winner gets all. The wanted player could do it for fun, some VP reward (pet or smth) or the gold pot if he/they survive all the event time. Couple of hours maybe?

Cmon, you know it sounds like fun. Whatdaya guys think?
Abandonation - Level 80 Undead Priest
Numquam - Level 80 Human Priest
Arcticx - Level 80 Human Mage
Many other dead or unused alts.

Justicelight
Donor

Re: How about some PvP event?

#2 » Post by Justicelight » 30 Aug 2014 20:38

Its a nice idea, from what I read this is more like "The Hunger Games" type :D which is nice. Maybe something based on that movie can be done here also :D
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Mnemonic

#3 » Post by Mnemonic » 30 Aug 2014 20:50

Sounds like an awesome idea hope to see it in action

Animal

#4 » Post by Animal » 30 Aug 2014 21:29

I was wondering why doesn't this server have a bounties thread, is world pvp dead? My previous server had over 100 pages where people want some player dead and pay gold for screenshots of it.

Zekai

#5 » Post by Zekai » 30 Aug 2014 21:30

Justicelight wrote:Its a nice idea, from what I read this is more like "The Hunger Games" type :D which is nice. Maybe something based on that movie can be done here also :D
Not a Hunger Games, as it's not a "Last Man Standing" but a "Kill the Target" spree. You would kill other hunters on sight as you don't want them to pile up near the target, but also you wouldn't want to focus too much on Bounty Hunters as target could survive long enough and win.

Crusader Aura is not an unfair advantage, as Event is limited to a single game zone, and also you could reach them using terrain. They could also run into other players that are in the opposite direction.

I just thought about a new adition.

The Wanted Player would win if he survives long enough, but even would suck if he gets zerged and killed in a couple of minutes, so I though of adding some Juggernaut.

When a Hunter kills the Wanted, he becomes the Wanted and the timer is reset. This would mean the timer would be shorter, from a couple of hours to 40 mins OR The long timer stays, but the player who is the "Wanted" player when the time ends wins (and of course, so does his party)

The event is really flexible, so it would rick if you guys commented about the rules, aswell as a GM telling if it could be implemented. GM aprovation is important, as we need a whole area where all players are hostile to each other regarless of faction (This is because population unbalance, and because one big part of the event is about interfering with other Hunters, which can't be done if you are in the same faction.
Last edited by Zekai on 30 Aug 2014 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Zekai

#6 » Post by Zekai » 30 Aug 2014 21:36

Animal wrote:I was wondering why doesn't this server have a bounties thread, is world pvp dead? My previous server had over 100 pages where people want some player dead and pay gold for screenshots of it.
World PvP is somewhat dead, as most PvP population is Horde, and Horde can't attack itself. And the Alliance PvPers stay in towns and sanctuaries, not giving chance to face them in World PvP (Hard to find a bunch of players in a HUGE zone).

That's exactly why I'm limiting the event zone to a single Game Zone (maybe two) I:E, Hillsbrand, Alterac Mountains, The Barrens, Silithus). If there's a zone huge enough in Outland or Northrend it would be awesome, but it would require players not being able to use flying mounts (too hard to track who does and who doesn't, and this would lead to disputes and ruin the fun) which I guess is more complex than just enabling PvP among same factioneers like Gurubashi Arena grounds do.

As I don't know the coding difficulties, I'd like a GM to tell us if this event would be viable and in what terms.

Peanuts

#7 » Post by Peanuts » 02 Sep 2014 03:50

correct me if im wrong but i thought world pvp died back in vanilla when wsg was released. Afterwords "world pvp" was just guilds retaliating to ganks on their members
Peanuts - 80 pvp shadow/ pvp disc Priest (inactive)
Peanutsz - 80 Multi/Sub pvp Rogue (inactive)
Peanut- 80 Blood Tank/ 2h Frost Tank DK (inactive)
Nutters- 80 Prot Tank/ Arms pvp Warrior (inactive)
Shenuts - 80 Demo/Affliction PvE Warlock (inactive)
Peanutz - 80 Holy/Ret PvE Paladin (inactive)
Pyrocircus - lvl 19 Resto druid twink (inactive)
Kapital- lvl 79 Enhance/Resto Shaman twink (inactive)

Dymond
Senior Game Master

#8 » Post by Dymond » 02 Sep 2014 12:07

I like the idea of a bounties thread. I could think of a few I would pay to be killed :) As long as after the player was killed and screenshot posted, the bounty on his head would be lifted.
"Grief is the price we pay for love."

SyntaxError
Former Staff

#9 » Post by SyntaxError » 02 Sep 2014 12:18

Dymond wrote:I like the idea of a bounties thread. I could think of a few I would pay to be killed :) As long as after the player was killed and screenshot posted, the bounty on his head would be lifted.
Tsk tsk, you're totally gonna have to change your forum signature :P Or is this merely black-widow love? "Yeah I love them, they must die!"
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!

Justicelight
Donor

#10 » Post by Justicelight » 02 Sep 2014 13:27

It will be nice if an environment like gurubashi arena can be created, the ones that hunt the bounty will forcily be placed in same party to prevent hostility (if this will be a game setting) while the seeked one will be out of the party.

Don't know about scripting, just givin' an theoretical idea.
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

shaun03

#11 » Post by shaun03 » 02 Sep 2014 14:00

I like the idea, solely for it being something new.

Doubt it would be implemented. You know that little old issue of it not being blizzlike and all.

The bounty thing may be a more suited idea.

In the end, it's interesting that some of the horde members are finally getting bored of the little pvp that is going on. The whole pvp thing lost its spark ages ago. There is nothing really that drives alliance members to want to go out in the world and waste an hour to kill / be killed by one player of the opposite faction. Especially if a "not so regular" pvp'er manages to kill a badly geared alt of some pro, only to be met with a fully geared player 5 minutes later. Not so much fun.

I've been on this server for 5 years nearly, and I think most of us old guys (on the Alliance at least) miss the days where we used to plan careful raids of the horde cities, to have fun, rather than just rushing to each boss, killing it, tele'ing out only to start again.

This idea won't motivate any alliance members to join in on it. You'll get the odd rebel, but there really isn't anything enticing about it.
Feeling as though I've infringed your right to freedom of speech?

[hide="Yes"]Stop being so sensitive, and practice what you preach.[/hide]

[hide="No"]Good for you, your opinion wouldn't matter anyways.[/hide]

Danielkerr

#12 » Post by Danielkerr » 02 Sep 2014 19:01

A bounty thread sounds fun, parameters could be set by the poster
eg. 1k gold for the first 20 to kill and SS with recount >player name here<
i would have some fun with it i unno
The only time self-deceit should be entered into is when it’s fun, and with awareness. But then, it’s not self-deceit!

Naljs

#13 » Post by Naljs » 03 Sep 2014 17:02

If someone put a bounty on me, I'd log off and get a friend to my location, let him claim the bounty and then we could split the cash. Just saying.
Better have some Honorable kill and Dishonorable kill (HK/DK) thread where you post bounties and can post screenshots of "dishonorable kills" such as a lvl 80 camping a lvl 40 area/player, which will make everyone want to camp him in return. The reward being simply the fun of it, prove you did it etc. Or use the gold reward system if you'd like, but that could (and most likely would) be exploited by the target for beneficial purposes.
"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
King Charles XII of Sweden (1682-1718)
Yes, I know there is a special place in Hell for me.
It's called a Throne.

kermo14k

#14 » Post by kermo14k » 03 Sep 2014 17:57

Nice idea, i have actually had this kind of even in a fun server i used to play when i got bored of blizzlike. It's really fun if you get good pvpers as bodyguards and have a healer :D
Wtfnoheals Prot PvE/Retri PvE
Izu - Marksmanship PvE/PvP
Windcaller - Resto PvE/ Ele PvP
Retired from TW.Went off to find cheeki breeki in different places. Didn't find it here!

Zekai

#15 » Post by Zekai » 03 Sep 2014 23:04

Well, while the Bounty is indeed nice idea (it's the theme that inspired my post) I feel like it would be too hard to implement, as there are few PvP players, and World is HUGE. Besides, there's little to no reason to leave main cities knowing you are being targeted.

That's why I was planing this Bounty Hunter event, as an EVENT doesn't have to be 100% Blizzlike, since it's temporal (may be repeated from time to time) but the concept is to script something to entertain players for a while.

Also, beacuse the "event" setup and reward not only for the killer, bt for the "hunted" too would be good to convince players in both side to join and search in World. Problem is the lack of intent of going out the cities. You could also add that most players don't have the gold to offer to players who kill their "bounty" target many times. I have like 13k gold atm, which would mean around 13 kill orders if I pay 1k each. If I get paid to hunt, but get nothing from being hunted besides being camped/zerged, why would I leave the city?

Also, since the game is huge and players are few, it's be nice if you could limit the zone you can move in, to make thing effective instead of chasing a player forever (more the so since Pala and DK have extra mount speed for example)

Finally, some classes have too huge avantage against others, while others are plain unkillable by oneself (Hpala, for example, is almost impossible to kill for most classes. Rogue can kill a Feral without getting a single hit, etc etc etc. ). This would some people to group up to manage a kill anyways, and also is way funnier to have groups fighting than just going 2-3 players to zerg a single one, SS, and it ends there.

All these points are what I thought of while I posted the idea, but it seems I was thinking too much xD