Killing blow required for quest credit.

Talk about and get help with the countless quests in World of Warcraft.
Belthezar

Killing blow required for quest credit.

#1 » Post by Belthezar » 09 Jan 2014 15:14

Not sure if this is a recent change in server fixes for all quests or if it's quest-specific

Quests The Rider of the Unholy and The Rider of Blood (I'm gonna presume also The Rider of Frost) required you to have the killing blow to get credit, therefore if you're not able to solo them, which I doubt many can pre-80, and you're downing them with some help from another level 80, you will only get credit if your damage is the one to finish him off.
Did them 3 times before I tested killing blow to see if that would work since GMs apparentely had no idea about it and weren't giving any specifically useful help

Just wanted to let this be known, if it's a fix or bug, mainly to GMs so that next time someone like me makes a similar ticket, the right advise can be given.

Forgive my ignorance of forum posting, imma just copy+paste quest links as I don't know how to better make a link to them, in case someone was so familiar with these quests.
The Rider of the Unholy: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=13161/the- ... the-unholy
The Rider of Blood: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=13163/the-rider-of-blood
The Rider of Frost: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=13162/the-rider-of-frost

On a side note, would like to ask that if a GM is not currentely ingame and cannot currentely help me directly with my ticket issue, via whispering or ''face-to-face'', please leave the ticket for someone who can. I prefer not to converse via tickets simply because the ticket answer wasn't sufficient and the problem still present.
Check out my WTB list all you silent farmers out there!
http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13204

Devosan

Re: Killing blow required for quest credit.

#2 » Post by Devosan » 09 Jan 2014 15:46

I'll just go and let out my irritation on this topic. Quests that are being fixed, is ofcourse a great thing, that will improve the server a big deal. However, fixing means fixing.
This would mean that if there is "a trick" to do the quest, it's NOT fixed. People that attempt the quest for the first time, will not know this. They'll assume it's bugged and either open a ticket, post it on the forums or skip the quest.
"So what's the problem, then?" The server isn't going to improve if quests are "fixed" in this manner. The only thing this will give is annoyed people.
I know the target with fixing quests is to bring an end to the Quest Completer tool, and all quests just being doable as supposed. However, I ask you, request you, BEG you, do NOT remove quests from the QC, if they are only completable by "A TRICK". This means they are NOT fully fixed, and are very difficult, if not impossible to complete if you do not know this. Just like with the quest Anatoly Will Talk, which used to be doable with "a trick", is now back on the QC, I would like to see this happen to other quests that are only completable with a trick.
This should for example apply to the quest Escape from Silverbrook, where the horse you're mounting is pulling aggro from every creature in Grizzly Hills, dismounting the horse means the horse too will attack you, and not lose their aggro after traveling a couple of lightyears. The horse is supposed to run a waypoint. As soon as he's attacked, he'll stop and you must manually travel, also not good. The worst part, it's a quest that leads to a great chain. Undoable, for this quest is undoable.

I'd love to see you guys give a SERIOUS reply to this, as this is something that is not stimulating the server by having it "fixed", but rather bugging the server by not being fixed properly.

Doctor_J
Developer

#3 » Post by Doctor_J » 09 Jan 2014 16:01

Actually this is same with a lot of group quests, affraid its the way core works

You and your party must do at least 51% damage to the npc in question, damage from pets, minions, other npcs does not count towards this, also suspect damage from dots may not count either so only direct damage spells
If you are in group and you go out of range to leave combat to heal then your share of damage may also get reset so as you got removed from threat list due to leaving combat, this also applies to spells which cause you to leave combat.

Basically its down that you must do at least 51% damage with direct damage spells and you must stay in combat the whole time so threat does not get reset.

The bit about dots comes from that I know that if a mob is already engaged in combat with another player(s) or mob(s) and you cast dots it does not always put you in combat the dot will only put you in combat if it does initial damage (not just damage over time) same as warlock curses behave same way.

Belthezar

#4 » Post by Belthezar » 09 Jan 2014 16:18

I know all that already, but regarding my post and issue it's quite irrlevant as the problem for me not getting credit was regarding killing blow, not party damage, not combat leaving, or anything else you stated and the person who tried helping me previously stated as well. Really don't get why people keep repeating this to me.
As far as dot combat is concerned, I've always gained combat if even my party player friend simply engages near me.
But anyway, this was regarding killing blow, not that other stuff.

emsy
Former Staff

#5 » Post by emsy » 09 Jan 2014 16:22

Belthezar wrote: Quests The Rider of the Unholy and The Rider of Blood (I'm gonna presume also The Rider of Frost) required you to have the killing blow to get credit, therefore if you're not able to solo them, which I doubt many can pre-80, and you're downing them with some help from another level 80, you will only get credit if your damage is the one to finish him off.
Did them 3 times before I tested killing blow to see if that would work since GMs apparentely had no idea about it and weren't giving any specifically useful help
Is this a description of how it works (and is wrong) or how or should work?

Belthezar

#6 » Post by Belthezar » 09 Jan 2014 16:23

How it works, just realised I wrote required, my bad, I meant to say require (no idea why I wrote required)
Whether it's wrong or not I don't know, but it seemed that the GM answering my ticket multiple times didn't either so I wanted to let it be known
Some (Not GMs) said it may have been a fix, however strange it may sound

Polkic
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Polkic » 09 Jan 2014 19:01

Well here is what you should always do; Read the quest...we get tone of tickets cuz people do not read them correctly. Once you read it you should try complete it. If you cannot complete try QC. If it is not there ask on global if maybe somebody knows something. Also it happens many time, that our quest fixes get override by TC and we must readd them, making the quest bugged till next restart(witch can be up to 5 days). I do agree that sometimes, quest can get bugged for a specific player and will work in general. We must fix those by hand and opening the ticket is the only way.

Belthezar

#8 » Post by Belthezar » 09 Jan 2014 19:30

Seriously? Why do you presume I didn't do all that already? In case you didn't understand it, there was no mention of credit being obtained via killing blow in quest log, nor did anyone on world know, nor was it in qc. For the last time, I was no in raid group, my party did 100% of damage, I did not break combat, I did not leave or go outside of boss' range, both me and my friend stayed alive from beginning to end of fight, we both damaged, we were both near when he died. Only when I was the one to supply the killing blow I got credit, the other times got nothing. But all this is just to prove to you guys that I'm not any random crybaby asking for help when I can help myself. The point of this forum post however was to let it be known that those quests gave credit that way, not to be given advice which I presume was clear I didn't need. I don't know the cause of it nor was I blaming anyone for it, just announcing it.

Devosan

#9 » Post by Devosan » 11 Jan 2014 13:30

I love seeing how staffmembers take problems like these, that matter a lot to the playerbase, very seriously!

Nyeriah

#10 » Post by Nyeriah » 11 Jan 2014 13:42

Yeah... I see you are... ehm trying... to help, a lot.

Just because no one replied to your ranting, doesn't mean we have ignored the issue. People are always free to open bug reports about whichever issue they find while questing. And if you say that quests are being ignored, that's an utter lie, just look at Docmin and Polkic, which are pretty much full time focused on fixing them.

The problem here is that badly approached suggestions tend to receive badly approached answers. But I guess that's just the way it comes that is the way it goes.

Regards.

tl;dr - knock the sarcasm off already, you're not getting anywhere with it

Belthezar

#11 » Post by Belthezar » 12 Jan 2014 19:45

Can only hope GMs actually understood the point I was trying to make, including the requested future ways of taking care of tickets, instead of just literally repeating what they did in the ticket even after I explain everything in the 1st post. One wouldn't think so from the replies

Nyeriah

#12 » Post by Nyeriah » 12 Jan 2014 19:57

When most of the tickets can be taken care while not being logged in, no, we will not specifically log in-game when we are busy with other things unless it's really needed.

The other option would be not help people at all when we are not in-game, which would cripple our costumer support service significantly.

We don't hold every answer. We don't know everything. I'm glad that your issue is solved and also appreciate seeing your reviews. But fact is, we are not always right and guessing what people's issues are isn't entirely easy. And yeah, you got it right, guess. Because you can never be entirely sure about what the problem actually is, could be anything.

You were given the expected answers for your issue. I don't know what the problem here is. As you said, even the players you asked told you the same thing...

Of course, since they've seen such issues before and you can be sure that what they've told you has worked for them, they'd tell you to try the same. But bad luck, not this time. GM's would not in any situation complete the quest for you.

If you could take your time and post a report at our bugtracker it'd be more helpful, however, so the developers may look into it and try to solve the issue.

I hope this helps clearing things up a bit...

Regards and thank you for your time.

Devosan

#13 » Post by Devosan » 13 Jan 2014 10:25

Personally, I'd rather have no reply, than a ticket response. A ticket response is a one-way form of communication, and therefore very frustrating if someone misses the point, which, if I take a look at just this topic alone, happens a lot.

Nyeriah

#14 » Post by Nyeriah » 13 Jan 2014 14:07

When tickets are completed players are asked if they need more help, if so it leads them to opening another ticket. This has been working great so far so I believe your thoughts about it happening often are mistaken. Just the fact that there's no other complaints prove that. Having no more than 20 tickets open at any given time in a server with 600 players ain't also easy, but we've been accomplishing that, we've even hired some workforce as of recently to help us keep it up.

So at this point I believe our services ain't perfect, but we are slowly walking towards it. Our response time has increased dramatically since when we started using the bridge, apparently the newest implementation even allows whispering from irc... well, we'll see what comes out if it.

Doctor_J
Developer

#15 » Post by Doctor_J » 14 Jan 2014 14:50

Ok this should no longer be an issue with Rider of Blood, Rider of Frost, Rider of the Unholy, whole conquest pit chain and whole amphitheatre chain and the last quest from the ring of blood,

Have had to add additional script to these npcs as ye seems using target invoker/invoker party on creature death event only awards credit to the player which invoked the event which caused death of the npc and not whole party,

Once theres been a restart all of these will award credit to all players who where in player group when mob was engaged, note players invited to party after the mob has entered into combat probably wont get credit unless they make the killing blow,