PW - Dimishing returns on Taunt - discussion

HuarHaer

PW - Dimishing returns on Taunt - discussion

#1 » Post by HuarHaer » 17 Jan 2017 18:30

Hello.

Recently, diminishing return on Taunts was added to alot of bosses. In my opinion, this makes some of the boss encounters, around various raids, awful. To namedrop a few:
Ragnaros, Kurinaxx, Princess Yauj of the Bug Trio, Fankriss, Firemaw, Ebonroc, Flamegor, Jin'do the Hexxer.
Jin'do with his 2 threat-wipers, and Ebonroc who requires frequent tank-swapping are particular offenders; so are taunt-able bosses who apply mortal-strike like stacking debuffs on the tanks.
Some of these bosses can probably be done without triggering the dimishing returns threshold, but on eg. Ragnaros, just one instance of taunt immunity means around 8 seconds of Ragnaros hammering on melees.
In my opinion, on the bosses where tank swapping with Taunts is the intended strategy, the diminishing returns should be retracted.

I´d love to hear other peoples opinion on this :)

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

Re: PW - Dimishing returns on Taunt - discussion

#2 » Post by Errorista » 17 Jan 2017 18:34

those bosses have Taunt Diminishing flag atm, if you believe they should not have it, provide some sources and we can look into it

HuarHaer

#3 » Post by HuarHaer » 17 Jan 2017 23:00

As far as I understood it, Taunt Dimishing returns was not even a thing in Vanilla? I´ll see what i can find though.

Eronox
MVP

#4 » Post by Eronox » 17 Jan 2017 23:05

HuarHaer wrote:As far as I understood it, Taunt Dimishing returns was not even a thing in Vanilla? I´ll see what i can find though.
Always been used :)
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Diminishing_re ... d_hotfixes

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Glonz

#5 » Post by Glonz » 17 Jan 2017 23:19

Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Taunt Diminishing Returns: We've revised the system for diminishing returns on Taunt so that creatures do not become immune to Taunt until after 5 Taunts have landed. The duration of the Taunt effect will be reduced by 35% instead of 50% for each taunt landed. In addition, most creatures in the world will not be affected by Taunt diminishing returns at all. Creatures will only have Taunt diminishing returns if they have been specifically flagged for that behavior based on the design of a given encounter.

In short: Taunt immunity/Taunt DR is a case by case basis and should not apply to every single boss out there, esp in vanilla. Keep in mind that taunt was limited by melee range in vanilla, not 30 yd like it is now in Wrath. A lot of the above mentioned bosses should not be susceptible to taunt DR.

HuarHaer

#6 » Post by HuarHaer » 22 Jan 2017 10:37

Glonz formulated my opinion alot better than I did - thank you :) I haven't been able to find good sources on wheter or not they should have DR on taunts, so I don't really know how to proceed from here.

Gnurg

#7 » Post by Gnurg » 22 Jan 2017 11:21

Provide me the ids of the bosses that shouldn't have the Taunt DR flag in this format: (boss_id1, boss_id2, .... boss_idN) and I will apply it for the next update.

Please, only take the bosses that MUST not have it.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

#8 » Post by Errorista » 23 Jan 2017 14:38

HuarHaer wrote:Hello.

Recently, diminishing return on Taunts was added to alot of bosses. In my opinion, this makes some of the boss encounters, around various raids, awful. To namedrop a few:
Ragnaros, Kurinaxx, Princess Yauj of the Bug Trio, Fankriss, Firemaw, Ebonroc, Flamegor, Jin'do the Hexxer.
Jin'do with his 2 threat-wipers, and Ebonroc who requires frequent tank-swapping are particular offenders; so are taunt-able bosses who apply mortal-strike like stacking debuffs on the tanks.
Some of these bosses can probably be done without triggering the dimishing returns threshold, but on eg. Ragnaros, just one instance of taunt immunity means around 8 seconds of Ragnaros hammering on melees.
In my opinion, on the bosses where tank swapping with Taunts is the intended strategy, the diminishing returns should be retracted.

I´d love to hear other peoples opinion on this :)
Gnurg wrote:Provide me the ids of the bosses that shouldn't have the Taunt DR flag in this format: (boss_id1, boss_id2, .... boss_idN) and I will apply it for the next update.

Please, only take the bosses that MUST not have it.
until someone bring better list

UPDATE `creature_template` SET `flags_extra`=`flags_extra` & ~524288 WHERE `entry`in(11502,15348,15543,15510,11983,14601,11981,11380);

Gnurg

#9 » Post by Gnurg » 24 Jan 2017 15:07

Next update.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Gala

#10 » Post by Gala » 24 Jan 2017 16:06

Gala approve