Can we talk about the speed of fleeing mobs?

anniefelis

Can we talk about the speed of fleeing mobs?

#1 » Post by anniefelis » 12 Oct 2015 01:37

I've noticed an issue with cowardly mobs that flee once they get to low HP: their speed varies. Mobs tend to run towards other nearby mobs to aggro them, which is how it's supposed to be. However the speed they're running at depends on how close or far the spot they're running to is. If it's not far, they run slowly. If it's farther, they run faster. So fast at times that not even my feral druid can keep up with them in cat form with two levels of Nature's Swiftness (30% run speed). If my druid can't catch up with them in time to prevent them from aggroing others, what other melee classes can? And yes I know about dash but I can't plan on using that every time.

Running mobs are supposed to run at about the same speed as a player, and the "x turns cowardly and runs" message is your warning to start chasing after them so you can finish them off while keeping them in your skill/melee range. Some are meant to actually run slower than players, like kobolds, murlocs and gnolls. The run speed on Primal is buggy so the only time any mob runs slower than the player, it's when they only have a few yards to run.

pvescrub

Re: Can we talk about the speed of fleeing mobs?

#2 » Post by pvescrub » 12 Oct 2015 16:41

I thought I was just having some weird lag issues when this happened to me. Apparently not.

Off the top of my head can't remember whether or not any slows affect the fleeing mobs. I'll experiment a bit on that.

anniefelis

Re: Can we talk about the speed of fleeing mobs?

#3 » Post by anniefelis » 12 Oct 2015 18:55

I have a frost mage and it does affect them, but since it's percentage-based slowing the super-fast mobs trying to run to someplace farther away are still moving pretty quickly. Besides, playing a ranged class like mage makes it so running mobs aren't a problem. It's problematic when you're playing melee.

However from playing a frost mage, I did discover another annoying bug with running mobs: if they're rooted/frozen in place, they teleport over to the spot they plan on running to, and very often are suddenly out of range. It's crazy.