A shift in private community

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Jacobelark

Re: A shift in private community

#16 » Post by Jacobelark » 04 Jul 2013 10:24

Liebe wrote:
gullygodx wrote:I think its naive to expect an increase in population. Not many people want to devote their time to a x1 server with a 5 year old expansion. From the pvp point of view i think wotlk is great, but you cant keep yourself entertained forever with the same comps and same cornerstone items like dbw, bauble. It just got boring after a while, so i went to Cata which was pretty nice at the beginning with all the new spells, tactics and comps i was really enjoying it. That was until blizzard destroyed arena at the end of Cata with all the pve gear, spellcleaves dominating all brackets and rogues with legendary daggers and vials, it turned into shit. Now with the release of MoP the game saw some of the best changes ever done, like the addition of pvp/resi powers, no more forced raiding, no more pve to obtain gear for pvp, its just great. I think MoP is a very solid expansion, probably the best one, the only thing i dislike is the constant nerf/buff thing that blizzard does, one day your class is completely unstoppable the next day youre nerfed to shit. I mean i played a warrior at the beginning, when taste for blood was oneshotting poeple, then the second wind overhealing ridiculous ammounts, after several nerfs and a few buffs its back to normal state. But now hunters and ele shamans are just ridiculous, so i hope they work it out.

Regarding the bug state of cata, several servers including AT have opened their cata realms just a few days ago. They have united under http://www.omfg.gg project to speed up the developement, the progress is quite good, so hopefully there will be a bugfree cata realm soon. They dont plan on adding t13 pve gear or stuff like vials so it might turn out better than retail was at the time. PS this is not an advertisement.
I disagree.

Feenix runs 3 classic servers (one instant 60 server, one boosted rated server and one true 1x blizzlike server) that have a few thousand active players combined. Same goes for their BC server, which I think is capped at 3K and sometimes has a queue to log in (probably not now during the summer). Both of those versions are older than Wrath and they have loads of players.
1x leveling certanly turns a lot of people away, but at the same time it creates a great community (or at least generally better than boosted servers do). I'm leveling myself right now and meeting other people leveling, so it's not something people aren't ready to do. Also, transfer tool will help a ton once it's released.

As for omfg.gg - there are 4 servers:

- AT
- Wowreach (~200 population)
- Some French only server (200 or less players)
- Some German only server (200 or less players)

So basically their entire PVE population combined is the same as TrueWoW has, only that they are spread on 3 different servers. I'm sure AT developers will sort a lot of spells, abilities and made sure that arenas work well enough, but as far as all the PVE content goes it's hard to say. I played on Wowreach for a while and the whole thing looked like someone very capable set it up half a year ago, then left it in hands of some guys who are unsure what they are doing. To be fair they did seem to be doing their best, so good luck to them, but I kinda doubt that their PVE servers will take off.

Even though I'm focusing more on PVP myself, playing on a well populated PVE server is a lot more enjoyable because of a social component, when not every player on the server is a self absorbed l33t multi glad and where you can also do world PVP, BGs that actually matter and generally piss around. Even though I started in BC, Wrath was when I actually learned the game and enjoyed it the most, so Wrath will always be my favourite expansion.
Besides, here I can play balance without fear of it being nerfed again and again, as it's currently happening on live. I don't even know how Blizzard's devs see balance, it's like they are just throwing random things at it and then nerfing it some more, just in case.

Arena tournament has more than 3000 players at peak hour ..it is the best pvp experience and apprecieted by most

the other servers are just crap . they will fail .

you said truewow will rise its population..indeed i believe it too since more retail players want's the old lore..and old arthas ..and TW do has an amazing community which love this server and offers great feedbacks ..but i wish they would put more effort into developing..i wish i could see here all dungeons working ..ruby sanctum..and so on ..:(

yeah indeed mop damage is insane ..100k dps ...the fuck.:( it makes me cry when i see it .

solo arthas ..:(( so saaaad . but pvp in mop is amazing .. :o let's hope 6.0 will bring back some good lore .. :D anyway they should stop at 6.0 ..wow had enough expansions..if they do even more they'll destroy the game even more ..or they can make a new game based on wow but only for pvp lovers..just like LOL is . regarding pve content ..it's kinda ruined ..

Liebe

#17 » Post by Liebe » 09 Jul 2013 01:01

I think most people dont realize how much work running a private server means. There are only a few people on the entire scene that are able to live from it (yeah, there are a few).

I suggest you spend a couple of hours researching how to make a private server, how to promote it, how to develop it and what kind of knowledge is required. Then think that you are to do all this entirely for free and with absolutely no certain outcome (server might just die no matter how much effort you put into it).

If it was easy to have a good server running everyone and their dog would be doing it.

Eisen
Donor

#18 » Post by Eisen » 09 Jul 2013 10:52

Not exactly where this topic is heading, but jumping back a bit.
Discarnate wrote: HIGHLY MISLEADING NOSTALGIA GOGGLES
Explains every reason people play old expansions \o/

And I also agree with everything Disc said after that, other reasons people hate the expansions are that 1. Gameplay changes (it's almost a new game) because of spec/stat/plot tweaks and humanity hates change.
2. Suddenly their 6.7k gs SM Warr isn't worth anything.

Personally I would jump on the band wagon and play retail but for a few factors:
1. can't afford to -.-"
2. that would mean my 150+ day playtime here has been a total waste of time
3. hate leaving friends behind (sure skype and FB work but it's hardly a substitute for raiding and pvping together)

So it's best to think about stuff before going out there and screaming "cata/mop" suck! And I just thought I'd share my perspective on things (what the expansions to to guilds is almost as awesome as transmog \o/)
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka
I SHALL RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME!
bnet: Eisen#2183

struck3r

#19 » Post by struck3r » 18 Jul 2013 16:56

Gotta agree with Liebe on balance pov with MOP. D fuck is symbiosis?!!! Anyways, as per you Cata fans, you private server dev fans... No Cata server will anytime soon hit WOTLK level of bugfreeness until TC does the major part on auras, phasing, vehicle and similar stuff that requires true hard work. And the fact that auras/vehicles/mspline/phasing ain't near blizzlike on WOTLK just assures me the above statement is more than true... Sure, there are few servers that pay few people to make few dungeons "working", few encounters like GSB "working", new races, spells "working", few apear to be "working" cata quests... But the fanatic stories I hear about fantastic devs on fantastic private cata servers I know for a fact are to good to be true, and they are. No need for me to even bother changing my conf to see it. I have seen hundreds of commercials who's products are majorly developed by some1 that couldn't care less about their profit ( TC in this example ) , and ATM, cata servers are in teh picture.
Strucker, Salakavala, Eskimo, Kael, Trimada, Domestic, Gataka, Gamekind, Sucubbus, yeah, its all me.

Liebe

#20 » Post by Liebe » 18 Jul 2013 19:49

Honestly, WoW subscription in Europe is ~12 eu, that's 12 eu for one month. There are many legit reasons why 12 eu can be too much for a dear hobby, but I think most of them revolve around being very young.
Or, you know, spending more than that in one night buying drinks, cigarettes or maybe drugs, then coming home and saying "I can't afford retail :S".

Myaoming
Former Staff

#21 » Post by Myaoming » 18 Jul 2013 19:59

Liebe wrote:Or, you know, spending more than that in one night buying drinks, cigarettes or maybe drugs, then coming home and saying "I can't afford retail :S".
Lol'd xD
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Ashiel

#22 » Post by Ashiel » 18 Aug 2013 23:56

Well, a fun fact...myself, my brother, and 4 other friends of mine who I've introduced to the server are playing here because it's WotLK. We don't really care about Cataclysm. We like a few of Cataclysm's features (expanded classes for races, transmogrification), but ultimately we're not interested in playing anything besides WotLK.

TrueWoW currently targets a niche audience, but an audience that is essentially guaranteed. People who want to play on Cataclysm servers can find tons of them, while if you want a good, solid, x1 WotLK experience...you come to TrueWoW.

Now I wouldn't mind a new cataclysm realm to some degree, but I have to say that I have seen splitting the server population can be bad for a server. You might get lucky, or your population may suffer. The likelihood of drawing players from established Cataclysm servers seems poor to me, but if even portion of our current realm was to shift to the new server we'd have two servers with lower populations.

Not that I'm shooting this idea down. Merely these would be concerns that I'd have from the experiences I've had in the server community (I've been playing on private servers - a lot of them - since TBC when nothing worked on private servers) and I've seen similar things happen. I know that there's currently a Cataclysm test realm on the Realmlist, and that alone has sparked frightful worry amongst the playerbase and some people are already bracing themselves to find a new server if the Lich King server were made into a Cataclysm. A friend of mine I met on TrueWoW whispered me frantic about it, upset that she had finally found a good Lich King server and was afraid she was going to lose it.
Don't Be The Fool! Learn Logic and Reason Today!
Straw Man Fallacy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5vzCmURh7o
Red Herring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exdK7Lirngg
Ad Hominem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GzXVqwYHVE
Good Logical Structure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAmgEa1B1vI
Strong vs Weak Argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXMAR63TVDI

Myaoming
Former Staff

#23 » Post by Myaoming » 19 Aug 2013 00:20

Guys.. this Cata Test Realm was just made to test Cata TrinityCore. Just curiosity... No real Cata plans nor anything. TrueWoW isn't going Cata any time soon.
Elder Myaoming (aka Slardar): Level 80 Tauren Feral PvE/PvP
Siforosse of the Undercity: Level 80 Undead Affliction Warlock PvP/Demon PvE
Zibuluge of the Ashen Verdict: Level 80 Human Frost DK PvP/PvE
Inverse: Level 80 Human Fire Mage PvP/PvE
Slar: Level 80 Night Elf Resto/Feral Druid PvE

Ashiel

#24 » Post by Ashiel » 19 Aug 2013 11:50

Myaoming wrote:Guys.. this Cata Test Realm was just made to test Cata TrinityCore. Just curiosity... No real Cata plans nor anything. TrueWoW isn't going Cata any time soon.
That's pretty much exactly what I told her. I knew that TrinityCore supported both expansions with very minor differences. I personally was hoping that you guys were experimenting with the server for something spiffy...

Like Transmogrification in Lich King. :mrgreen:
Don't Be The Fool! Learn Logic and Reason Today!
Straw Man Fallacy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5vzCmURh7o
Red Herring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exdK7Lirngg
Ad Hominem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GzXVqwYHVE
Good Logical Structure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAmgEa1B1vI
Strong vs Weak Argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXMAR63TVDI

Eisen
Donor

#25 » Post by Eisen » 20 Aug 2013 10:31

Myaoming wrote:Guys.. this Cata Test Realm was just made to test Cata TrinityCore. Just curiosity... No real Cata plans nor anything. TrueWoW isn't going Cata any time soon.
I wish people were aware of this, maybe actually read the stuff on vote sites? Like:

TopG - Truewow
You will be nothing more than a tester on this server and everything you do is for educational purposes.
WoW servers are an excellent way to learn/practice how to be a DBA, while people may grow into the role of 'staff' there is far more to than just "I WNA BI BEST SVR!"
Eisenlicht - Eisenfaust - Shai - Eisenblitz - SyntaxError - Revan - Nugget - Eisen - Necriss - Heka

Raxxo

#26 » Post by Raxxo » 20 Aug 2013 12:38

The information on that site is really outdated.
We have moved server location 3x since that and the server specs are improved as well.

Eisen
Donor

#27 » Post by Eisen » 21 Aug 2013 10:51

Raxxo wrote:The information on that site is really outdated.
We have moved server location 3x since that and the server specs are improved as well.
True, but that's not what I was referring to, CONTEXT MAAAAN, IT"S EVERYTHING!! xD