Ironman challenge, warriors, and charge

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Skogar

Ironman challenge, warriors, and charge

#1 » Post by Skogar » 15 Apr 2020 19:29

Hi all,

I've started the ironman challenge but have some reservations about using a warrior, though I would like too.

"Known bugs which we will NOT allow death resets for include using Warrior's Charge, Mage's Blink, or lagging while riding the Undercity elevator."

I saw that 2 warriors finished the challenge. Did they do this without using charge?

Even if "falling" underground is a 1 / 1000 chance, I love to charge, and I think it would catch up with me eventually.
Skogar - Ironman Contender
Falmari - proud owner of a Winterspring Frostsaber

Axis
Senior Game Master

Re: Ironman challenge, warriors, and charge

#2 » Post by Axis » 15 Apr 2020 23:44

Skogar wrote:
15 Apr 2020 19:29
Hi all,

I've started the ironman challenge but have some reservations about using a warrior, though I would like too.

"Known bugs which we will NOT allow death resets for include using Warrior's Charge, Mage's Blink, or lagging while riding the Undercity elevator."

I saw that 2 warriors finished the challenge. Did they do this without using charge?

Even if "falling" underground is a 1 / 1000 chance, I love to charge, and I think it would catch up with me eventually.
No need to worry about such a trivial thing.
The intent behind that guideline is to warn players to avoid risky charges where it could put you under the textures.
Just avoid uneven or otherwise questionable terrain where it could get you killed as a result of the above.
If the ground isn't relatively flat, play it safe and don't use it.
Consider yourself fairly warned; Any death as a result of it will get you disqualified from the challenge.
ImageImageImage
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke.

Skogar

#3 » Post by Skogar » 17 Apr 2020 21:21

Thanks for the response.

I was trying to figure out if this is a random bug, or more of a deterministic exploit. After reading further it sounds more like a pvp tactic involving changes in elevation.

I think I get it. If the surface texture is not continuous strange things can happen when you compute a slope. In the case of an uphill charge, evidently a warrior could turbo through the surface boundary.

I do think it's a bit of a concern given the no-death goal and the time commitment involved. Charge works well on this server in general, but rarely there are issues with pathing and orientation.

Hopefully, the biggest challenge will be to avoid DUI wow sessions. It's awfully easy to right-click on that newbie quest reward (food with a +2 stamina buff).

Oops.

Axis
Senior Game Master

#4 » Post by Axis » 17 Apr 2020 23:06

Skogar wrote:
Any further questions, issues or concerns regarding this?
ImageImageImage
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke.

Skogar

#5 » Post by Skogar » 21 Apr 2020 18:36

No. Thank you for your response.

I've been reading through the ironman discussion on the forums. It's simply a difficult challenge.

Axis
Senior Game Master

#6 » Post by Axis » 21 Apr 2020 18:43

You're most welcome.
Good luck with the challenge.

Locked and archived.
ImageImageImage