Mage Armor (Rank 5)

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
skyx

Mage Armor (Rank 5)

#1 » Post by skyx » 31 May 2017 17:36

(PvP suggestion)

Consider enabling Mage Armour (rank 5) at lv 70 (usually lv 71).

Since we are on patch 3.3.5 at the end of the day, other casters such as Shadowpriests and warlocks have access to extra spells and DoTs unlike their 2.4.3 versions.

The Wotlk version of mage Armour reduces harmful spell duration by -50% and this extra effect was introduced in Wotlk in order to provide adequate defence against enemy casters.

Vaen

Re: Mage Armor (Rank 5)

#2 » Post by Vaen » 31 May 2017 18:32

-1, mages will be solid enough that they won't need reduced magic effects duration just yet.
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

majstorfanta

#3 » Post by majstorfanta » 31 May 2017 18:35

-1 from me also
Jackofclubs
Aceofhearts
Kynlovesrets

skyx

#4 » Post by skyx » 31 May 2017 19:01

Vaen wrote:
31 May 2017 18:32
-1, mages will be solid enough that they won't need reduced magic effects duration just yet.
You sure about that?

One set of DoTs from a lock (UA, corruption, CoA)/shadow priest (VT, DP, SWP) already destroys a mage without much effort.

This is on top of death coil/fear/how of terror and psychic horror/scream.
majstorfanta wrote:
31 May 2017 18:35
-1 from me also
You need to explain yourself.
Last edited by skyx on 01 Jun 2017 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

majstorfanta

#5 » Post by majstorfanta » 31 May 2017 19:52

I was reffering I agree with Vaen. I played pvp since the start of primal and mage is god tier alongside with locks and spriest, having shileds at same state while dmg is nerfed by 33 % which makes shield 33 % more effecitve and even more so since the uptime of the shield is longer I mean cd is the same
Jackofclubs
Aceofhearts
Kynlovesrets

skyx

#6 » Post by skyx » 31 May 2017 20:06

majstorfanta wrote:
31 May 2017 19:52
while dmg is nerfed by 33 %
source?

Also, mages haven't gained any new spells/cc that aren't chance procced (compared to their 2.4.3 version). Meanwhile, other caster classes have.

http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage

Have a look.

Lastly, Warlocks are overall the strongest caster class in WOTLK despite mages having -50% harmful spell reduction on their mage armour.

majstorfanta

#7 » Post by majstorfanta » 31 May 2017 23:48

Just compare the dmg outside bg and you will see it is 33% less inside. Also mages in TBC didnt have fingers of frost and brain freeze procs as far as i know it so they did gain. And those two are kinda strong so not liek they got sth, they got sth big on top of them being god tier class. Mages ruled pvp scene on primal as long as they had equal gear to their contenders
Jackofclubs
Aceofhearts
Kynlovesrets

skyx

#8 » Post by skyx » 01 Jun 2017 01:33

I guess it is best to wait and see what happens.

Please close this thread.

Mizzeeh

#9 » Post by Mizzeeh » 01 Jun 2017 06:48

You're comparing mages to spriests and warlocks to make an argument that they should get wotlk mage armor instead of giving reasons for why they should get wotlk mage armor.

Shadow Priests getting psychic horror and improved devouring plague is not a reason to give mages wotlk mage armor, it's just a factor that contributes to making shadowpriests stronger than they were on retail, has absolutely nothing to do with giving mages wotlk mage armor.

The argument you should be making is that mages are not viable in PvP because they suffer so much vs shadowpriests, warlocks and moonkins, and right now this is not the case for at least 2 reasons. 1) Mages are currently one of the best PvP classes and look like they'll be strong in TBC too, and 2) Mages are one of the best classes to play against Shadowpriests.

skyx

#10 » Post by skyx » 01 Jun 2017 20:19

Mizzeeh wrote:
01 Jun 2017 06:48
You're comparing mages to spriests and warlocks to make an argument that they should get wotlk mage armor instead of giving reasons for why they should get wotlk mage armor.

Shadow Priests getting psychic horror and improved devouring plague is not a reason to give mages wotlk mage armor, it's just a factor that contributes to making shadowpriests stronger than they were on retail, has absolutely nothing to do with giving mages wotlk mage armor.

The argument you should be making is that mages are not viable in PvP because they suffer so much vs shadowpriests, warlocks and moonkins, and right now this is not the case for at least 2 reasons. 1) Mages are currently one of the best PvP classes and look like they'll be strong in TBC too, and 2) Mages are one of the best classes to play against Shadowpriests.
Mages are indeed viable in PvP. However, 3.3.5 was most likely balanced on the assumption that mages had access to the improved mage armour against spell CC and DoT-ing classes such as Shadow Priests, Affliction Warlocks and even MM Hunters.

If you played any actual balanced and competitive PvP game, you would know that any buff to a class/character/spell etc has an indirect impact to others so me making an argument by comparing mages to other classes is valid.

And as I said earlier,
skyx wrote:
01 Jun 2017 01:33

IronSharona
Former Staff

#11 » Post by IronSharona » 01 Jun 2017 20:49

skyx wrote:
01 Jun 2017 01:33

Done. Thank you. Please send a staff member a message in the future if you wish to re-address this topic so we can unlock.
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)