Nostalrius community asking for Primal Wow to go PvP

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Sneakyrogue

Nostalrius Shut Down

#1 » Post by Sneakyrogue » 07 Apr 2016 03:33

I just read about Blizz shutting down the vanilla server Nostalrius, I am curious if Blizz is going to shut down TrueWoW? I really hope not....

ccrs
Former Staff

Re: Nostalrius Shut Down

#2 » Post by ccrs » 07 Apr 2016 04:22

Don't worry, there are many other primary targets before TW :P

Sneakyrogue

#3 » Post by Sneakyrogue » 07 Apr 2016 06:16

I hope to (insert higher power here) that Blizz either focuses on other private servers or just completely ignores TrueWoW.

Bingobjarne

#4 » Post by Bingobjarne » 07 Apr 2016 11:38

Hi, I was from Nostalrius, and I'm looking for a new place to play....How is the population here?

oooooooooolde
Donor

#5 » Post by oooooooooolde » 07 Apr 2016 11:42

Welcome BB

You can check out the server statistics and charts under the "server" tab.
http://www.truewow.org/online-charts
But pop is enough to get things going !
Keep in mind Primal is X-fac so about half the population is "needed"

Anyways, hope you're staying

-Juve

ItchyVortex

#6 » Post by ItchyVortex » 07 Apr 2016 12:16

Sneakyrogue wrote:I just read about Blizz shutting down the vanilla server Nostalrius, I am curious if Blizz is going to shut down TrueWoW? I really hope not....
No. Truewow isnt big enough to be targeted by blizzard and as long as the servers are outside NA we're safe anyway.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Quietly

#7 » Post by Quietly » 07 Apr 2016 12:47

Its not true that only servers in NA are targetted, I was on Ascension before Primal which was based in UK and they received a cease and desist order last July and Nost are hosted in France so it looks like Blizz have expanded their capability.

Roel
Founder

#8 » Post by Roel » 07 Apr 2016 13:48

Servers with a high population and influence get priority to be shutdown. TrueWoW has already survived for 6 years with the moderate population that we have. I believe our humble donation system and advertisement also help reducing the chance of something like that happening.

stukov55

#9 » Post by stukov55 » 08 Apr 2016 07:43

It's really sad that Blizzard is becoming an enemy of its own fanbase... without which they would have never become the big company they are today.

I can't figure out how they prioritze their targets, considering that Nostalrius was a generally "clean" place with a good reputation, while M****n (the server that shall not be named) raked in lots of money fom its members (which were actually stolen in the end), and yet was left alone.

But the thing that really infuriates me is the way Blizzard says "you don't want vanilla servers so don't ask for them". How arrogant do you have to be, to tell your own fans what they want or don't want? Sheesh...

Regent
Tester

#10 » Post by Regent » 08 Apr 2016 07:53

This made it to front page news on the web. High profile incident already. Jeez...
Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/ ... 4e0d1a152c
Polygon:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/7/1138415 ... n-blizzard

Regarding the shutdowns though, they've become a regular thing for Blizzard before new expansions come out.
This is their way of maximizing their reach to the largest possible number of potential new players by "freeing" them up from private servers they may be tied down to; plus all the usual stuff about copyright laws, etc.

In the past, Blizzard only went after servers that were hosted in North America (mostly US and Canada); Meanwhile - EU, Asian, AU based servers were usually "safe" from such DMCA based shutdowns due to different laws of each country.

However, now that they have demonstrated their ability to reach out and shut down servers across the globe, I'd personally be worried for TrueWoW more than anything else (as I understand it, Nostalrius was a French server too - hosted by OVH - with French lawyers acting on behalf of Blizzard involved in the shutdown).
While TW may not be a priority for Blizzard, they haven't exactly been very discriminate or choosy about their targets. More players equals more money. And considering the fact that their subscriber base has dipped to an all-time low, they will do anything to get more players back to retail.
Rest in Peace,
Sarah Melody Jones.
May 20, 1989 - May 12, 2018.
Beloved Girlfriend & Mother-To-Be.
When I close my eyes, I see you.
When I open my eyes, I miss you.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Regent- - - - - - - - -Regentt- - - - - - - - -Regennt- - - - - - - - -Regency

mcheka

#11 » Post by mcheka » 08 Apr 2016 15:32

Size hasn't seemed to matter to Blizzard in the past. One of the most involved legal battles with a private server was with the owner of the tiny vanilla server The Rebirth. Let's hope TrueWoW will not become a target in the future.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Loopylou1

#12 » Post by Loopylou1 » 09 Apr 2016 09:05

Roel wrote:Servers with a high population and influence get priority to be shutdown. TrueWoW has already survived for 6 years with the moderate population that we have. I believe our humble donation system and advertisement also help reducing the chance of something like that happening.
I'd have to disagree Prime, our guild came from Ascension server, that was a progressive PvE vanilla one - the first of its kind, also had a humble donation/ad system, the population was very small compared to Nost as it was in its infancy yet the Blizz hammer found them and served a C&D in July 2014 - interestingly enough they was also hosted in France so it might be worth thinking of moving the hosting to one of the countries that can't be touched at the moment.

Wilcox

#13 » Post by Wilcox » 09 Apr 2016 11:35

wasn't World of Opportunities (led by MaYeR) also shut down by Blizzard, the server that I consider the past of truewow?

ssishtar

Nostalrius community asking for Primal Wow to go PvP

#14 » Post by ssishtar » 09 Apr 2016 13:49

Hello, my name is Paul and I am speaking for several Nostalrius' raiding guilds. The problem is simple, we like the idea with the progressive Primal WoW server but the problem is it's pve, not pvp, therefore the Nostalrius community can't see Primal WoW as a solution, and the other True WoW server it's not progressive, so it fails as being a solution either.

I am currently talking and speaking with 7 raiding guilds from Nostalrius, 3 from Horde and 4 from alliance, so if we move here, more will follow. We only need a progressive realm that has PvP and we need it fast. Can we have an answer on this particular extremely annoying matter ? Time is of the essence here, our community needs a solution and a fast one.

I can also be found at https://discord.gg/0r1Mqo5RwRkc0b7P so if any admins want to talk about it, don't be shy.

Thank you for your time.

ssishtar

#15 » Post by ssishtar » 09 Apr 2016 13:51

if the admins will give us a pvp realm, we will come here. I am speaking for many guilds right now, so the only issues is that Primal WoW is pve and the other True WoW is pvp but not progressive, can we have a fast answer from admins on this ?