State of the server - September

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
.kurthos

State of the server - September

#1 » Post by .kurthos » 20 Sep 2015 18:05

The purpose of this thread is to contain and discuss major events within the community, both positive and negative, to provide feedback and review the content to tackle pressing issues.

PvE

Molten Core - There are many scripting issues within the instance dealing with bosses and trash. Most of these issues were only recently reported, but the dev teams seem to be acknowledging and fixing things at a decent rate. Tuning feels good for both new and farming guilds; I feel this is the raids best current feature. I would rate this encounter at 5/10 due to many things just being missing or working incorrectly. Hopefully we will see much improvement by the time our October state of the server discussion rolls around.

Onyxia - In my opinion, the difficulty of this encounter is ideal for our community right now. This fight is a natural step up from molten core and feels good in general. It pushes all roles to play well together as it stands. The script is well executed and I personally believe Onyxia is the standard of quality the server should aim for when releasing content. The dev team seem to be fine tuning and getting rid of bugs every update. The only issues really arise from issues with the Onyxia attunement scripts on alliance. I would rate this instance 7/10 in terms of how complete it feels.

Zul'Gurub - This instance's difficulty in its current implementation is moderately high for most encounters. There are many missing scripts and issues with various encounters being unkillable for most groups. Until this week most fights were either too easy or too hard. Primal will definitely want to avoid releasing instances in this sort of state in the future. I rate this instance at 4/10 due to bugs, incomplete scripts and missing encounters.

Overall, for most guilds here, the difficulty of instances have not been an issue as we all seem to push and clear the content over time. Many people enjoy the challenge, but, I do not think it is healthy for the server to be this way. Zul'Gurub was designed as an instance which was meant to bridge a gap for guilds entering Molten Core to be able to push into BWL. The major issue with Primalwows design results from content that was supposed to be entry level, below MC or equivalent, to require gear from MC. The result is that ZG requires 40 man gear to complete the instance.

I propose that the community consider how much we would benefit from setting ZG scaling to a point where it was puggable as a whole. There is a large content gap for PvE players currently, especially those at the entry level. I feel that by making ZG a puggable instance you will retain newly leveled players as a whole, while not hurting hardcore guilds who have already gotten their server firsts. Three day reset timers will allow cross guild raid groups to form more often and it will result in an overall stronger community.

There is also an epidemic of exploiting bosses who are currently considered unkillable by even hardcore guilds. By making the content puggable you remove the motivating factors for abusing weak points in scripting. The evidence for this is sown in various raiding guilds to the point that some feel it is necessary to stay competitive. If an encounter is so overtuned the obvious counter is to remove the motives.

Tanking - Tanks seem to have adequate gearing available to plow through all content. All three tanking classes have been used in all current content to success.

Healing - Healers in Molten Core are starting to swap to more throughout oriented gear as guilds are picking up huge stat increases from world buffs like hearts of hakkar and heads of Onyxia. Shaman, Druids, and priests all seem competitive in varieties of different specs and itemizations, but aside from their utility, Paladins seem very weak.

Melee Dps - Rogues both cry and rejoice with the 6 pc shadowcraft nerf while pulling Nightslayer out of their banks. Dps Warriors of all kinds seem to push to the top of the meters on most fights. Enhance shaman and feral cats seem to be jealous of their Retribution counterparts as they seem to be getting invites for the buffs they uniquely bring while usually falling asleep during their autoswing rotations.

Ranged Dps - Warlocks seem to be dominant in most encounters. Balance Druids doing great in aoe and single target as well. Mages feel stuck to frost arcane due to itemization though some bold players are testing the waters as fire. Hunters seem to stick with beast mastery for the most part and have yet to find the new dominant pet after the recent raptor nerf. Elemental shaman seem to be unheard of outside of the dungeon finder. Shadow priests seem to be on the cusp of top 5 but the lack of aoe hurts them on most encounters.

PvP

Arenas - The new gear releases seem to have led to a spike in both interest and queues. This will result in more pvp overall as people seem to push to farm gear for pve and pvp. Some claim that certain classes are strongest, but there doesn't be a specific comp dominating the arena scene. I would rate the arena situation at 8/10 because of the overall variety of comps currently doing well.

Battlegrounds - There seems to be balancing issues on how the server wants to handle player survivability which is resulting in certain classes dominating games. In addition, there are many issues with players ghost queuing resulting in empty games which prevents players who enjoy PvP the ability to actually play the game. I would rate the current battleground situation and metagame at 6/10 due to inconsistencies in policy, though people still seem to enjoy the game as it stands currently.

.kurthos

Re: State of the server - September

#2 » Post by .kurthos » 20 Sep 2015 18:14

All together, I remain hopeful for the coming months. I feel like there are a lot of things we as a community take for granted and we seem to get caught up in the negativity of it all. I think what we have on this server isn't common when it comes to private servers and we should push to better our server in whatever ways we can.

.cosminn123

#3 » Post by .cosminn123 » 20 Sep 2015 19:01

I really enjoyed reading this. Good job!
Image Wulf - Restoration Shaman

Image Tedd - Feral Combat Druid

Image Marax - Beast Mastery Hunter

Snow22

#4 » Post by Snow22 » 20 Sep 2015 19:09

Awesome overall. Look foward to this each month!

ice4keep

#5 » Post by ice4keep » 20 Sep 2015 23:27

+1

doomeddragon

#6 » Post by doomeddragon » 21 Sep 2015 16:18

kurthos wrote: ...Shaman, Druids, and priests all seem competitive in varieties of different specs and itemizations, but aside from their utility, Paladins seem very weak.
...Paladins seem very weak.
This is so true, prot paly don't get any good gear, lolret is just lolret nuff said. While holy pala heal for rubbish because of healing debuff.
No love for us :(

piniok123

#7 » Post by piniok123 » 21 Sep 2015 16:45

Awesome job Kurthos, +1 from me.
Cheers.

.Sorrugis

#8 » Post by .Sorrugis » 21 Sep 2015 18:15

kurthos wrote:All together, I remain hopeful for the coming months. I feel like there are a lot of things we as a community take for granted and we seem to get caught up in the negativity of it all.
Well said. Even though arenas don't pop nearly as often as I'd like them to, I'm having a blast here.

Really looking forward to the first few weeks of hardmode BWL.

On another positive note, I've been informed by one of the developers (Drewdis, who I am hoping is actually a dev) that work is going to start this week on fixing the issues with blink and charge.

anniefelis

#9 » Post by anniefelis » 21 Sep 2015 20:38

Sorrugis wrote:
kurthos wrote:All together, I remain hopeful for the coming months. I feel like there are a lot of things we as a community take for granted and we seem to get caught up in the negativity of it all.
Well said. Even though arenas don't pop nearly as often as I'd like them to, I'm having a blast here.

Really looking forward to the first few weeks of hardmode BWL.

On another positive note, I've been informed by one of the developers (Drewdis, who I am hoping is actually a dev) that work is going to start this week on fixing the issues with blink and charge.
I'm happy about getting a fix for blink/charge (I've blinked through the world so many times). That's a problem that plagues private servers that never gets fixed. RDF works beautifully here, which is something that did not work on all of the 3.3.5 realms I've played since 2009 or so. After slogging through dozens of crappy servers for the past seven years, it's really nice to play on a good one where not only skills and quests work, but scripting does as well.

Really though, when I say I'm not worried about the state of the server I really am not worried because the quality of this server is fantastic, and because of that we're drawing more quality players. There's always a few idiots on any realm, but for the most part my experiences here have been really good.

.Alexandros

#10 » Post by .Alexandros » 21 Sep 2015 21:55

Props to Kurthos for a very well-written and balanced look at the server. Kurthos is further into the raid content than I am, and I don't PvP, but in terms of how the various classes handle with respect to each other, it all matches with my own personal experience. I also agree with his suggestion regarding ZG and its relative difficulty, but that's a larger community issue to resolve and I won't be chapped if it's left alone for a while.

Like other responses to this thread, I'm hopeful for the coming weeks and months. The devs will keep doing their thing to continue improving scripting and mechanics. A little advertising to attract some more players wouldn't hurt though.

Arturo

#11 » Post by Arturo » 21 Sep 2015 23:16

Again +1 Kurthos
Rosario
Lilith
Machismo
Rosa

Mezcal
Savage

Wellhard

#12 » Post by Wellhard » 22 Sep 2015 15:24

+1 Kurthos. Well written and thought through.

.landgin

#13 » Post by .landgin » 22 Sep 2015 19:00

Your most likely not going to find a ele shaman until deep aq/nax. The gearing just isnt there.

.kurthos

#14 » Post by .kurthos » 23 Sep 2015 08:10

Itemization wasn't "there" for shadowpriests in 1.12, but they still received raid invites and did get gear.

Elemental Shaman have access to:

Mish'undare, Circlet of the Mindflayer/Spellweavers Turban
Twin Emps/AQ20 Ossirian Head Neck/Dianas Pearl/Choker of the Firelord
Deep Earth Spaulders from MC/Naxx Trash Shoulders/Gluth Shoulders
Cloak of Consumption/Cthun Cloak/Sapphiron Cloak/Hide of the Wild
Bloodvine/T2.5 Chest/Robes of the Archmage/Volatile Robes
Rockfury Bracers/WSG Bracers/Bracers of Arcane Accuracy/Gothik Bracers
Bloodtinged Gloves/Cthun Gloves
Banthok Sash/Mana Igniting Chord/Naxx Trash Belt/Cthun Belt
Bloodvine Pants/Sartura Pants/Black Blizzard Pants/Chrommagus Pants/Naxx trash pants/Leggings of Polarity
Bloodvine Boots/Snowblind Boots/BWL Trash Boots
Flashlight/Nef Tear/Argent Dawn Trinket/Briarwood Reed/Hakkar Heart/TOEP

Seems to me like they have access to plenty of itemization throughout the game.

useronly

#15 » Post by useronly » 23 Sep 2015 20:51

Shadowpriests, or more like the lone shadowpriest, wasn't necessarily brought for the DPS, but for the shadow weaving. And a review of your list pretty much confirms the initial statement that ele shaman likely won't be viable for a while. 70% of what you listed is yet to be available, and the crit-heavy items are from aq and beyond.