World chat

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Oscar
Banned

Re: World chat

#16 » Post by Oscar » 24 Jul 2015 22:30

Oscar wrote:
Elinara wrote:Hello,

As I have said in several other threads, we are currently discussing our moderation approach and how we'll stand towards chat moderation. The "report spam" feature will also be fully functional at next update if everything goes right (more info about that soon).

We don't permanently ban players over chat offenses of any sort. Insulting staff members severely may result in a 1-3 day ban depending on the offense.

Regards.
But Nutty wants to ban over stuff I say lol look

Kaughn and Lee muted. (Last chance for Lee before he gets into ban territory.) Tutorial and Abraao have been warned.

Yes, in the meantime we get more GMs to help out, reporting these cases is appreciated.

Thank you for your report.

Virunus
Donor

#17 » Post by Virunus » 24 Jul 2015 22:37

But Nutty wants to ban over stuff I say lol look
He never said perma ban. "Ban Territory" easily falls within the 1-3 day suspensions talked about here.

Dreadnought101

#18 » Post by Dreadnought101 » 24 Jul 2015 22:39

Its a mess, players feel very entitled to the idea that they can post whatever they want and not get in trouble. I think its fine that moderators ban those players for an hour or two from chatting just to get the message across that this is a Private Server.

"Its the Devs World, you just live in it!"

That being said moderators should be careful not to impose stricter punishments for repeat offences until it gets personal and players are specifically attacking a player or moderator, thats where I would like to see them draw a hard line and start dipping into bans from playing the game temporarily/permanently.
Degaris
-
A wise man once introduced me to this game "It shall protect your virginity my lad." He said...

Oscar
Banned

#19 » Post by Oscar » 24 Jul 2015 22:53

Bloodrayne said he'll make an exception to ban me lol

Kaughn

#20 » Post by Kaughn » 25 Jul 2015 01:16

Just think about it, how would moderation be a applied to trade chat in retail or how has it been applied for 10 years?

It hasn't.

I have never seem a GM interfere in a chat in Blizzard realms except for spam cases. Filtering spams and punishing agressions made against Devs is understandable, but what players say to each other in a public chat is their own business.

Complaining on the forums about what another player said to you is downright childish.

This isn't middle school, grow up and let the staff worry on bugs and other important things.
Last edited by patriks132132 on 25 Jul 2015 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

Corpses

#21 » Post by Corpses » 25 Jul 2015 01:16

But what if /World chat is all a well placed net for GMs to catch pray to excercise mutes/bans?
Please discuss.

Zheromer

#22 » Post by Zheromer » 25 Jul 2015 01:33

Kaughn wrote:Just think about it, how would moderation be a applied to trade chat in retail or how has it been applied for 10 years?

It hasn't.

I have never seem a GM interfere in a chat in Blizzard realms except for spam cases. Filtering spams and punishing agressions made against Devs is understandable, but what players say to each other in a public chat is their own business.

Complaining on the forums about what another player said to you is downright childish.

This isn't middle school, grow up and let the staff worry on bugs and other important things.
You might not have seen it, but its there no doubth. You can get banned for shorter and even permanent if its bad enough.

https://eu.battle.net/support/en/articl ... um-conduct

Virunus
Donor

#23 » Post by Virunus » 25 Jul 2015 01:50

Kaughn wrote:Just think about it, how would moderation be a applied to trade chat in retail or how has it been applied for 10 years?

It hasn't.

Blizzard absolutely does moderate chat on retail, but, even moreso than here, they rely 100% on player reports. They don't have the manpower to sit in some 200 realms of trade chat 24/7 to watch for rulebreakers. If people are reporting a player enough, they look into it. Its the same here, but the realm is smaller so they don't have to wait for 30 people to report the same person within a 10 minute time span to bother checking the report.

Speaking of childish, its pretty childish to expect "anything goes" to be in effect in chat. It sounds to me like you'd prefer a world with zero moderation, and that's just not feasible if you want a community that isn't the scum of the earth.
but what players say to each other in a public chat is their own business.
This would make more sense if you said private chat rather than public chat, but even in a private setting, something like harassment should be reported rather than just /ignored. I mean, both, sure.

crowncider

#24 » Post by crowncider » 25 Jul 2015 02:37

razmattaz wrote:
crowncider wrote:if you cannot handle banter then don't use world chat
One or 2 individuals spamming rubbish and vitriol is not.
Welcome to society, get comfortable because it's not going to change.
Furueru zo hāto! Moetsukiru hodo hīto!! Kizamu zo, ketsueki no bīto! SANRAITO IERO OBADORAIBU!!!
Horde
Figs
Mikebrown

crowncider

#25 » Post by crowncider » 25 Jul 2015 02:39

Dreadnought101 wrote:Its a mess, players feel very entitled to the idea that they can post whatever they want and not get in trouble. I think its fine that moderators ban those players for an hour or two from chatting just to get the message across that this is a Private Server.
What the hell? You don't get to complain about how the admins are dealing with rules and enforcement of discussion then say it's their world in the same breath.
If they wanted what you wanted we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Furueru zo hāto! Moetsukiru hodo hīto!! Kizamu zo, ketsueki no bīto! SANRAITO IERO OBADORAIBU!!!
Horde
Figs
Mikebrown

Dreadnought101

#26 » Post by Dreadnought101 » 25 Jul 2015 03:19

crowncider wrote:
Dreadnought101 wrote:Its a mess, players feel very entitled to the idea that they can post whatever they want and not get in trouble. I think its fine that moderators ban those players for an hour or two from chatting just to get the message across that this is a Private Server.
What the hell? You don't get to complain about how the admins are dealing with rules and enforcement of discussion then say it's their world in the same breath.
I am saying what they are currently doing is fine, and those that complain about their ... 2 hour mutes is the over-reaction is not warranted. (hence the locks on those threads, and its also not the right medium to talk about their punishments)
crowncider wrote:If they wanted what you wanted we wouldn't be having this conversation.
No idea how this would be the case, I like this conversation because its a conversation, not a shouting match.
Degaris
-
A wise man once introduced me to this game "It shall protect your virginity my lad." He said...

.doctorwho

#27 » Post by .doctorwho » 25 Jul 2015 03:34

crowncider wrote:
razmattaz wrote:
crowncider wrote:if you cannot handle banter then don't use world chat
One or 2 individuals spamming rubbish and vitriol is not.
Welcome to society, get comfortable because it's not going to change.
Except in this particular society said individuals can be rendered impotent or removed altogether at the press of a button.

crowncider

#28 » Post by crowncider » 25 Jul 2015 04:01

Except in this particular society said individuals can be rendered impotent or removed altogether at the press of a button.
Just because you can doesn't make it OK, The discovery of safe amputation didn't make removing someone's tongue OK.
Horde
Figs
Mikebrown

.doctorwho

#29 » Post by .doctorwho » 25 Jul 2015 05:06

crowncider wrote:
Just because you can doesn't make it OK, The discovery of safe amputation didn't make removing someone's tongue OK.
The fact that we are guests here, though, does make the silencing and/or removal of disruptive elements completely justified.

crowncider

#30 » Post by crowncider » 25 Jul 2015 06:14

doctorwho wrote:
crowncider wrote:
The fact that we are guests here, though, does make the silencing and/or removal of disruptive elements completely justified.
Yes, but like you said it's their server, thus it's their rules and they have not seen to change the rules so far; which is why I said if your opinions were similar we would not be having this conversation because this thread wouldn't exist.
Horde
Figs
Mikebrown