World chat

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
User avatar
.Garmath

World chat

#1 » Post by .Garmath » 24 Jul 2015 12:11

This post is going to be talking about how toxic world chat is the reason it's so toxic and about banning people.


With the population of this server climbing it was only a matter of time for world chat to get like this. I cant even begin to explain to you wtf is going on in there. I made this post Because of the people who have gotten banned and the people who are at risk of getting banned Because of world chat. Right now world chat seems to be a place where people(most of them new players/alts who are leveling their Toon )talk shit and relieve boredom and stress. While this is a good thing as it gets people to know each other and promotes friendship. It also promotes at the same time anger dislike and toxic attitudes. People in world chat need to realize there is a limit to what should be said. With that said it is very easy to get carried away in all of it. I remember leveling my Toon and on Multiple occasions being an active member in conversations in world chat about things from Racism/Politics to sexy(at the end of the sexy discussion that lasted 3 hours Prime told us to calm down). I would like to see conversations like that happen in world chat again although I feel there are just too many people for it. I'm just asking for people in world chat to cool down a little bit have fun and not give a gm any reason to mute you.


With all this said People who are reporting please note that you have two options before you report someone in world chat /leave world and ignoring someone who is especially toxic. I understand that type of behavior is not right but I don't want to see any more people getting banned Because of what they do in world chat. Also imo I dont think perma banning people for what they say in any chat is right even if they insult a gm I don't think a perma ban is ok. I can understand prolonged mute and suspension but perma banning should be reserved for extreme cases not a toxic player.

Let's just remember to have fun with our conversations and not try and take anything too seriously love you guys. Nyah~

User avatar
PLAPTOP
Posts: 11
Joined: 19 Jul 2015 03:49
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: World chat

#2 » Post by PLAPTOP » 24 Jul 2015 12:44

They could start by imposing a level requirement (10) for access to world chat. As the population increases, they should eventually separate faction chat to keep the trash on each side of the fence.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
.Garmath

Re: World chat

#3 » Post by .Garmath » 24 Jul 2015 12:49

PLAPTOP wrote:They could start by imposing a level requirement



they already have one the level requirement is 5

User avatar
androx
Posts: 11
Joined: 13 Jul 2015 11:33

Re: World chat

#4 » Post by androx » 24 Jul 2015 12:54

Insulting a GM is not ban worthy? Yet, you don't want to see toxicity... Anyone who thinks he can insult another person (especially GM), should be banned. You can disagree, argue, even quarrel with someone, but insulting is where the line should be drawn. Maybe I am too harsh, but after spending a lot of time on all kinds of forums, servers, etc, I can see that people that lack the reasoning to refrain from insulting, cannot be reasoned with.

User avatar
.Garmath

Re: World chat

#5 » Post by .Garmath » 24 Jul 2015 13:10

I'm sorry but if you cant take an insult form someone who is clearly a man child you shouldn't be on the internet. No imo perma banning someone for insulting you is more childish than insulting someone.

User avatar
Nyeriah

Re: World chat

#6 » Post by Nyeriah » 24 Jul 2015 13:23

Hello,

As I have said in several other threads, we are currently discussing our moderation approach and how we'll stand towards chat moderation. The "report spam" feature will also be fully functional at next update if everything goes right (more info about that soon).

We don't permanently ban players over chat offenses of any sort. Insulting staff members severely may result in a 1-3 day ban depending on the offense.

Regards.

User avatar
.lordingmar1
Donor
Posts: 122
Joined: 11 May 2015 19:05
Location: Orgrimmar
Contact:

Re: World chat

#7 » Post by .lordingmar1 » 24 Jul 2015 13:28

Garmath wrote:This post is going to be talking about how toxic world chat is the reason it's so toxic and about banning people.


With the population of this server climbing it was only a matter of time for world chat to get like this. I cant even begin to explain to you wtf is going on in there. I made this post Because of the people who have gotten banned and the people who are at risk of getting banned Because of world chat. Right now world chat seems to be a place where people(most of them new players/alts who are leveling their Toon )talk shit and relieve boredom and stress. While this is a good thing as it gets people to know each other and promotes friendship. It also promotes at the same time anger dislike and toxic attitudes. People in world chat need to realize there is a limit to what should be said. With that said it is very easy to get carried away in all of it. I remember leveling my Toon and on Multiple occasions being an active member in conversations in world chat about things from Racism/Politics to sexy(at the end of the sexy discussion that lasted 3 hours Prime told us to calm down). I would like to see conversations like that happen in world chat again although I feel there are just too many people for it. I'm just asking for people in world chat to cool down a little bit have fun and not give a gm any reason to mute you.


With all this said People who are reporting please note that you have two options before you report someone in world chat /leave world and ignoring someone who is especially toxic. I understand that type of behavior is not right but I don't want to see any more people getting banned Because of what they do in world chat. Also imo I dont think perma banning people for what they say in any chat is right even if they insult a gm I don't think a perma ban is ok. I can understand prolonged mute and suspension but perma banning should be reserved for extreme cases not a toxic player.

Let's just remember to have fun with our conversations and not try and take anything too seriously love you guys. Nyah~
I'm sorry, but are you basically saying being toxic is oke as it promotes friendship!?
Voldemorph <Vanilla Knights>

User avatar
.Garmath

Re: World chat

#8 » Post by .Garmath » 24 Jul 2015 13:44

lordingmar1 wrote: I'm sorry, but are you basically saying being toxic is oke as it promotes friendship!?
No I'm pointing out Certain aspects of world chat that are good. While at the same time pointing out the bad.

User avatar
razmattaz
Posts: 19
Joined: 18 Jul 2015 21:49

Re: World chat

#9 » Post by razmattaz » 24 Jul 2015 14:09

Looks to me a case of a "few bad apples.."

End of the day, any abuse is not/should not be tolerated, its not big/clever/funny.

Honestly thought that after 10years of playing this game, people would have learnt mutual respect for one another. I played on Kronos before I started on primal and people were pleasant and helpful. While on primal, I have found that leaving world chat or popping it in its own window is best.

This should not be the case, like you have said, the sense of community is great when the channel is used correctly.

Unfortunately there is several who wish to ruin the experience as they want to be the centre of attention. This will drive new players and some current players away if not nipped in the bud
Image

User avatar
bbslam
Posts: 9
Joined: 22 Jul 2015 02:15

Re: World chat

#10 » Post by bbslam » 24 Jul 2015 15:33

someone call riot lyte, we need to change the internet.

User avatar
.doctorwho

Re: World chat

#11 » Post by .doctorwho » 24 Jul 2015 15:52

I don't use the World channel anymore because it's pretty much just a cesspool.

User avatar
crowncider
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Jul 2015 01:05
Location: Dio's Hideout

Re: World chat

#12 » Post by crowncider » 24 Jul 2015 16:25

If you cannot handle banter then don't use world chat. The other channels work just fine for whatever you might want or need in-game.

Also, these are the threads I don't like to see. I understand, admins, that to ignore these complaints means some people will leave; but I implore you to employ vigilance.
Something I see too often in communities is when admins and mods begin to tighten restrictions which turns into a slippery slope of continuous bans and new rules to the point where it's not even worth it to have discussion anymore.
It may be prudent to stiffen up on people who are outright disruptive though, but what that means exactly needs outlining; I'm sure you will figure it out, I like what you've got so far.
Furueru zo hāto! Moetsukiru hodo hīto!! Kizamu zo, ketsueki no bīto! SANRAITO IERO OBADORAIBU!!!
Image
Horde
Figs
Mikebrown

User avatar
razmattaz
Posts: 19
Joined: 18 Jul 2015 21:49

Re: World chat

#13 » Post by razmattaz » 24 Jul 2015 17:39

crowncider wrote:if you cannot handle banter then don't use world chat
This isn't a conversation about banter, banter is great and fun. One or 2 individuals spamming rubbish and vitriol is not.

I too think the mods are doing right at the moment in restricting people of certain amounts of time, but what happens if this fails to detur the individuals we are talking about.

End of the day I worry more about new players seeing that rubbish and thinking the whole pop is full of attention seeking fools, like i said before, thats the only way it'll affect me as I have the channel hidden these days
Image

User avatar
Virunus
Donor
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Jun 2015 20:40

Re: World chat

#14 » Post by Virunus » 24 Jul 2015 22:26

With all this said People who are reporting please note that you have two options before you report someone in world chat /leave world and ignoring someone who is especially toxic. I understand that type of behavior is not right but I don't want to see any more people getting banned Because of what they do in world chat. Also imo I dont think perma banning people for what they say in any chat is right even if they insult a gm I don't think a perma ban is ok. I can understand prolonged mute and suspension but perma banning should be reserved for extreme cases not a toxic player.
We talked a bit the other night (this morning, technically?), and while I admit its probably not a huge deal to have some crude back and forth banter or a tiny bit of spam here and there, I can't say I really agree with this quote for anything more than that. Yes, we have tools to get offenders out of our personal chat logs (ignore, leaving the channel) without reporting, but most of the time if I feel the need to report someone, its not because I can't handle seeing whats being said, or that I'm even offended, its that I recognize the chat is toxic behavior, and I don't want that to become the norm. I don't want new players to pop in and immediately be turned off because the default world channel advertised by the autobroadcast is 10x worse than retail Trade Chat.

Someone has messaged me on the forums telling me about how his wife and friend [IIRC] left already because of the toxic chat, and how he's leaving as well because he has no reason to be here without them. This kind of thing will be the norm if certain behavior goes unpunished. As already said, people are not getting perma bans for chat reports. Mutes and temp-bans are fine. They let people know to settle down without forcing them to leave the server.

If people realize they're actually going to get punished for the crap they pull in chat, then chat will become less toxic. Right now, GMs can't be on all the time. Reporting people means GMs get to make a decision on if something is worthy of punishment or not even when they can't be there to see it themselves. At most I would be okay with certain standards for accepting player reports. (ie: if screenshots, include a screenshot of the chat page above and below for completeness)

Anyway, thats my opinion on the topic. But, in the end, if THIS:
I'm just asking for people in world chat to cool down a little bit have fun and not give a gm any reason to mute you.
happens, then there will be no reason to report them in the first place. That's the end goal.

Edit: Its worth mentioning that the GMs likely won't ever moderate private channels like a Guild or non-"endorsed" custom chat channel. Maybe with the exception of real harassment. If people want to talk about something they know isn't okay for world chat, they should do it in a private place like that, where the folks they're talking to probably won't care.
Last edited by Guest on 24 Jul 2015 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Oscar
Banned
Posts: 92
Joined: 24 Jun 2015 02:05

Re: World chat

#15 » Post by Oscar » 24 Jul 2015 22:29

Elinara wrote:Hello,

As I have said in several other threads, we are currently discussing our moderation approach and how we'll stand towards chat moderation. The "report spam" feature will also be fully functional at next update if everything goes right (more info about that soon).

We don't permanently ban players over chat offenses of any sort. Insulting staff members severely may result in a 1-3 day ban depending on the offense.

Regards.
But Nutty wants to ban over stuff I say lol look

Kaughn and Lee muted. (Last chance for Lee before he gets into ban territory.) Tutorial and Abraao have been warned.

Yes, in the meantime we get more GMs to help out, reporting these cases is appreciated.

Thank you for your report.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests