Xavia

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Guided

Xavia

#1 » Post by Guided » 01 Apr 2011 22:07

Ok, the thing is, i wanna know if the word "bastard" is a swear word or not? Bc of this word 1 guy got muted for 120 mins for saying "lame bastard" to Xavia and i got muted for asking if it is a swear word and for saying that it aint, thus i came to ask you ppl if it is a swear word or not. Xavia himself said that its a rude word, but nothing sais that rude words are mutable...."suck" is also a rude word, but why aint this mutable. If "bastard" aint a mutable word, like i know it aint, then Xavia abused his mod/gm powers and i demand a righteous judgement (hopefully he wont be a power abusing mod here again if this turns to be like this). ty for your attention.

Rassidan

Re: Xavia

#2 » Post by Rassidan » 01 Apr 2011 22:11

I guess it can be considered as a swear - but i am very surprised to get muted for such word.

Anyways I just have a question.

Am I the only one one of the qualifications of mods should be level 80 since in that way they really have

much higher chance to understand about the server's players and have higher chance to maintain

balance between discipline and immature /mutes for random people ?

Photon

#3 » Post by Photon » 01 Apr 2011 22:28

:shock: is just stupid to mute someone for saying bastard...
i think someone has abused powers, personal issues i guess

Revernance

#4 » Post by Revernance » 01 Apr 2011 22:44

that word in english is considered a very nasty insult and yes rassidan we do have to be level 80, but all our chars are mods, not just the one.

And hamerona it was a 30 or 60 minute mute, the 120 was for coming back, doing it again on an alt only a few mins later and ofc at same time mute evading

you consider the mute immature or unjust, but i consider the need to swear constantly just another bit of evidence that people just cannot express their feelings / emotions using normal words that have been around for 100s of years, instead of swearing just use another non rude word
Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2011 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Roel
Founder

#5 » Post by Roel » 01 Apr 2011 22:46

I would ban for mute evading.

Felnight

#6 » Post by Felnight » 01 Apr 2011 23:12

Am I the only one one of the qualifications of mods should be level 80 since in that way they really have

much higher chance to understand about the server's players and have higher chance to maintain

I personally feel, being level 80 doesnt make you understand players, or doesnt show you know how to distinguish between discipline and immature. Trying to keep world chat cleaned and spam free shows you can discipline those who are being immature.

Just because a mod mutes, because he/she feels that your using something he would consider a curse word, and you dont. Doesnt mean he/she is immature. Different people = Different upbringins, Different cultures. So in that mods defense, he/she may have been brought up considering that word an offensive swear word.

Oh and before i see this arguement start up again.The word in "Bastard Sword" does NOT mean the same thing as calling someone a bastard.

Dodging your mute by going on another character and argueing your mute, and repeating the word. In my opinion shows lack of immaturity.

Overall, Different People = Different Opinion. Respect someone who might be offended by something you say. A warning, 'Please dont say that' or whatever, could have been used, maybe it was too. But dont argue a mute, if you said something that could potentially be considered a swear word to someone. Appoligize and get on with your life.

Rassidan

#7 » Post by Rassidan » 01 Apr 2011 23:23

Felnight wrote:

I personally feel, being level 80 doesnt make you understand players, or doesnt show you know how to distinguish between discipline and immature. Trying to keep world chat cleaned and spam free shows you can discipline those who are being immature.

Just because a mod mutes, because he/she feels that your using something he would consider a curse word, and you dont. Doesnt mean he/she is immature. Different people = Different upbringins, Different cultures. So in that mods defense, he/she may have been brought up considering that word an offensive swear word.

Oh and before i see this arguement start up again.The word in "Bastard Sword" does NOT mean the same thing as calling someone a bastard.

Dodging your mute by going on another character and argueing your mute, and repeating the word. In my opinion shows lack of immaturity.

Overall, Different People = Different Opinion. Respect someone who might be offended by something you say. A warning, 'Please dont say that' or whatever, could have been used, maybe it was too. But dont argue a mute, if you said something that could potentially be considered a swear word to someone. Appoligize and get on with your life.
I personally think it really does. Being lv80 and getting around many players make you understand them more. Another point we are angyr about mods and gms is that these random people just pop up from nowhere and just mute us without warning mostly.

Revernance

#8 » Post by Revernance » 01 Apr 2011 23:40

the concept of no warning is that you should after a certain amount of play time, have seen enough warnings and mutes, and know the chat well enough to know what is right or wrong also at the same time you could say a warning doesnt exactly have the effect of stopping you as we have warned alot of the people in the channel and they continue still

Marind

#9 » Post by Marind » 02 Apr 2011 00:09

I've yet to see the word pidinsky, but who's to say if i'd get muted for it or not, not a good enough reason in my eyes.

Guided

#10 » Post by Guided » 02 Apr 2011 01:14

well, as for me it was my second mute here during the many months of game play, the first one i got when i said the f word for others leaving in oculus and i also added to my text that a gm/mod should mute me, but anyways, i the main question was if the word "bastard" is a swear word or not, mute evading isnt allowed that im aware of >.>, thats why i only got 30 mins.

Intervention
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Intervention » 02 Apr 2011 01:25

I'd say it is a swear word..the context on how you said it depends on a mute. I think i'd give a warning for that word first.

However 'suck' is not a swear word, and i would never mute for that.
Chicken, Fried Chicken
Send me mail in-game or a PM if you need to contact me!

Revernance

#12 » Post by Revernance » 02 Apr 2011 01:35

The context was in relation to people who join a queue and then dont accept and that they are bastards,

that is as far as i remember the usage of the word, and i took it as a personal attack against the person that yes did do somthing annoyingly noobish but at the same time, didnt neccessarily deserve the rude comment

Vaati
Banned

#13 » Post by Vaati » 02 Apr 2011 01:44

I don't think this is filtered by the Mature Language Filter so I wouldn't consider it a swear word. At least not a muteable swear word.
Biscuit - Level 80 Arms/Fury Warrior (Horde)
Bisquick - Level 80 Feral Druid (Formerly Narcissa's) (Horde)
Bisquit - Level 80 Elemental/Resto Shaman (Horde)
Biscadin - Level 80 Retribution/Holy Paladin (Horde)
Bisclock - Level 80 Affliction Warlock (Ally)
Bisc - Level 80 Shadow Priest (Ally)
Biscation - Level 80 Retribution/Holy Paladin (Ally)
Formerly known as Patregis - Undead Rogue
Roel wrote:What's wrong with your brains?

Revernance

#14 » Post by Revernance » 02 Apr 2011 01:48

The problem is that in english it is a bad word, in other countries or languages it might not be considered rude / abusive.

It means

Bastard may refer to: A child whose birth lacks legal legitimacy—that is, one born to a woman and a man who are not legally married; Bastard

so it is essence insulting your parents, it's meaning was alot stronger back when i was a young child.

narcissa

#15 » Post by narcissa » 02 Apr 2011 02:10

Exactly cause of the literal meaning it can't be considered swearing, much more rude. If you get offended being called a child of an unmarried couple you live in the wrong era.

Edit: If you wanna play with English language, there you go.
—Synonyms
fake, imitation, imperfect, sham, irregular, phony

Is it over the board to mute someone for such a phrase? Totally. Can we complain or change things? Absolutely not. Therefore I'll shut it when I'll leave, and we'll all be happier ^^