Modified clients

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
venzel

Modified clients

#1 » Post by venzel » 07 Jul 2015 16:53

Hello everyone,
I read that on [some server] they are using a modified Wrath of the Lich King client, one that acts as a normal client (as far as I know), except that it uses the new character models and textures Blizzard introduced in the Warlords of Draenor expansion.
What I'd like to know is: Does such a client require some special server support? If not, are we allowed to use it?
I have read the server rules but there doesn't seem to be a straight answer there either. The only point that says anything about modified clients is No. 12., but there is no mention of custom skins or models. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: For the ones who just found this and don't want to read all the posts, but still want to know what we've found out in this topic:
:arrow: You can use a client that supports the updated models, as long as it doesn't affect the gameplay.
:arrow: The other server's client only supports a few hairstyles, and does not support Blood Elves and Draenei.
:arrow: This supports all the races, nearly all the hairstyles and special features (facial hair, Undead dangling jaw and tongue, Draenei horns, etc.), but it turns goblins into tiny green silhouettes. If that doesn't bother you, I recommend this.

I'll update this with new info every once in a while for as long as this topic is alive.
Last edited by venzel on 12 Jul 2015 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Nyeriah

Re: Modified clients

#2 » Post by Nyeriah » 07 Jul 2015 17:26

It should be fine. Could you give me a link to that client? It does sound interesting.

venzel

#3 » Post by venzel » 07 Jul 2015 17:44

Of course, the link should be in your private inbox.

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#4 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 07 Jul 2015 18:11

please make it public, we all want to play with updated models
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Torcano
Donor

#5 » Post by Torcano » 07 Jul 2015 18:19

Send me a PM of the client too pls. :D
Infinite Rage!
gave my toons away /inactive/

venzel

#6 » Post by venzel » 07 Jul 2015 18:23

I didn't want it to look like I'm advertising the other server. Here's the download page for the other client. It's the one that's not tagged as "old".
EDIT: I haven't actually tried downloading and running the "new" client, I just read that it uses the new models and skins.
Last edited by venzel on 07 Jul 2015 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

Folkk

#7 » Post by Folkk » 07 Jul 2015 18:27

Blacklustersoldier wrote:please make it public, we all want to play with updated models
Updated models for 3.3.5 are available for months

Edit:
venzel wrote:I didn't want it to look like I'm advertising the other server. Here's the download page for the other client. It's the one that's not tagged as "old".
EDIT: I haven't actually tried downloading and running the "new" client, I just read that it uses the new models and skins.
I looked into the client and it seems legit. It has an extra "patch-w.mpq" that is about 1.30 gb large. Given the fact that the patch with character models is about 700mb, the extra size should be because of the textures.
Folkk -Subtlety/Combat
Fleaks - Discipline/Holy

Nyeriah

#8 » Post by Nyeriah » 08 Jul 2015 02:41

It looks nice but there are some missing textures (like some undead facial markings, tauren horns and certain hair styles) which cause graphs to look glitched at times, so that's sadly a minus for me. BUT! It also doesn't seem to support blood elves (and yeah that's why I won't use it, I can stand faceless undeads but without belves then there's no profit to me =\).

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#9 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 08 Jul 2015 05:18

What about draenei? Also I know folkk, I wasn't able to find one already made patch or client, just complicated tutorial on how to extract the models and make your own patch.
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Folkk

#10 » Post by Folkk » 08 Jul 2015 07:58

http://modcraft.superparanoid.de/viewto ... 3.5+models

This guy released a patch with updated models. Look through that topic as there are updated versions.
Oh and Nyeriah there is also a patch with only BE models in that topic. Works good with the exception that you get an error when you exit the game.
Folkk -Subtlety/Combat
Fleaks - Discipline/Holy

Nyeriah

#11 » Post by Nyeriah » 08 Jul 2015 08:34

Thanks for the heads up!

I have checked it out. See below

[hide="WARNING! Elf rated content below. If you don't like elves, do not proceed!"]Image
Image[/hide]

So yeah it's quite decent seeing the limitations there is. The face is a bit weird, but it's weird on retail too so not considering that :D

Looks fun. Thanks for sharing once again.

MerelyASetback
Donor

#12 » Post by MerelyASetback » 09 Jul 2015 13:35

What about world edits? Are those allowed?

I'm thinking of World of SnowCraft, Autumn Durotar and Reznik Era.

Most of these are just retextures and reskins but might contain different 'entrances' e.g. Stormwind in the Reznik Era.

(You should also check out his other videos of unreleased or alpha wow content,it's pretty interesting!)

Nyeriah

#13 » Post by Nyeriah » 09 Jul 2015 13:40

As long as it doesn't affect the gameplay or disrupts anything for other players pretty much any mod is fine.

venzel

#14 » Post by venzel » 11 Jul 2015 18:48

Folkk wrote:http://modcraft.superparanoid.de/viewto ... 3.5+models

This guy released a patch with updated models. Look through that topic as there are updated versions.
Oh and Nyeriah there is also a patch with only BE models in that topic. Works good with the exception that you get an error when you exit the game.
I tried using the "Patch-J.mpq" from that link along with the updated client and things didn't go as smooth as I hoped; Draenei and Blood Elves looked really beautiful, but after trying to see the other races, the game crashed. After going through that a couple of times, I gave up and started searching for an .mpq that has all the updated models along with all the haircuts and features (such as the Undead dangling jaw or tongue). The result was this thing, which is a bit large, but it's almost flawless, it supports all the haircuts and features I checked and I have yet to feel an FPS drop. There's also a video guide for it here.
EDIT: To clarify, I used the patch I linked with the "old" client, not the "new" one I originally asked about.

Iniyam

#15 » Post by Iniyam » 11 Jul 2015 21:31

Wanted to test out this client thingy, and it turned out my bank alt is actually Shia LaBeouf...
Cheating is bad. Using an item to cheat is bad. Regardless of how said item was obtained, use of said item is bad. Bad people will be banned.
Iniyam                                      Inimin