Auction House changes

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
bairchan

Auction House changes

#1 » Post by bairchan » 06 Nov 2013 01:59

I noticed that recently the auction house fees were changed. It used to be that there was only a 1s deposit and no ah cut. There are posts that this was a change done by Roel to stimulate the economy. I understand that this was extremely low. Now it is 150% of vendor price as deposit(48hr) and a 7.5% ah cut on sale price. This seems excessive, and was done without notification. I've looked through announcements and changelogs and can find no reference to the increase or reason for it.

Can we please have it put to a more reasonable 60% of vendor price(48hr) and 5% ah cut on sale price?

Devosan

Re: Auction House changes

#2 » Post by Devosan » 06 Nov 2013 02:03

Actually, if you've done your research, you had bothered to read to front page on the website, where this change was mentioned.
The AH indeed says it's a 150% deposit, however this is 75% vendor price deposit instead, also mentioned in that same post. Perhaps try looking harder before complaining.

Aside from this, I do think it was better the old way, because since this update I won't bother selling anything on the AH for the risk to lose money if it doesn't sell. As a leveling toon I don't have that much money and the vendor gives steady prices at least.

bairchan

#3 » Post by bairchan » 06 Nov 2013 02:10

Ok, I see that on the front page now.

However, what I said about the deposit stands. My client shows that it is going to be a 60% deposit, but then it takes a 150% deposit (48hr auctions). Also the ah cut is actually taking 7.5% of the sale price.

It is worth noting that these fees are 50% of the Neutral AH fees, not 50% of faction specific AH fees. We don't have faction specific AH currently. I don't agree with the fees being based on the Neutral AH fees, I understand that we don't have the population to support separate AHs.

Doctor_J
Developer

#4 » Post by Doctor_J » 06 Nov 2013 10:00

Well AH was never intended to be free to use, if you don't want to pay ah fees you are free to use trading channel to sell your items,

AH fee/cut is partly a gold sink but is also to try and prevent certain things which were happening.

First one is players repeatedly placing same items on ah at extortionate prices and then not selling but due to there been no deterrent (ie fees) against this player would place items back on ah at exact same price, rather than pricing items competitively so they have a better chance of selling.
Second one is undercutting, previously without fees if someone placed items at lower price than your own items, you could cancel all of your auctions which had been undercut and replace items on ah at new price,

and deposit is 50% of the price shown to you by client when you place items in ah (standard pricing is for 24 hr auctions), of course if you put 48 hr the cost doubles.

If you want to sell items on AH now you have to sell items at a fair price unless you want to waste money on ah.

And AH fees actually do 2 things, first is deterrent to prevent certain things been done, ie repeatedly undercutting everytime you get undercut yourself, repeatedly placing same items on ah at extortionate prices), since ah now charges deposit and deposit is lost if items dont sell, second ah fees/cut act as a gold sink to get excess gold out of the economy (much like 20k mammoths, motorcycle parts and portable holes.

AH was never meant to be free to use, and fees are actually half of what they should be,

Arvit

#5 » Post by Arvit » 06 Nov 2013 13:15

bairchan wrote: It is worth noting that these fees are 50% of the Neutral AH fees, not 50% of faction specific AH fees. We don't have faction specific AH currently. I don't agree with the fees being based on the Neutral AH fees, I understand that we don't have the population to support separate AHs.
I think he raises a good point here.

Also I think the crazy undercutting will only get worse now since people don't want to loose their deposit.
Anyway I guess I have to use the trading channel now like you suggested.

bairchan

#6 » Post by bairchan » 07 Nov 2013 01:43

Doctor_J wrote:Well AH was never intended to be free to use, if you don't want to pay ah fees you are free to use trading channel to sell your items,

AH fee/cut is partly a gold sink but is also to try and prevent certain things which were happening.

First one is players repeatedly placing same items on ah at extortionate prices and then not selling but due to there been no deterrent (ie fees) against this player would place items back on ah at exact same price, rather than pricing items competitively so they have a better chance of selling.
Second one is undercutting, previously without fees if someone placed items at lower price than your own items, you could cancel all of your auctions which had been undercut and replace items on ah at new price,

and deposit is 50% of the price shown to you by client when you place items in ah (standard pricing is for 24 hr auctions), of course if you put 48 hr the cost doubles.

If you want to sell items on AH now you have to sell items at a fair price unless you want to waste money on ah.

And AH fees actually do 2 things, first is deterrent to prevent certain things been done, ie repeatedly undercutting everytime you get undercut yourself, repeatedly placing same items on ah at extortionate prices), since ah now charges deposit and deposit is lost if items dont sell, second ah fees/cut act as a gold sink to get excess gold out of the economy (much like 20k mammoths, motorcycle parts and portable holes.

AH was never meant to be free to use, and fees are actually half of what they should be,
I think you're missing my point here. I'm not saying it should be free. The point is they are not half of what they should be. In the announcement it says it will be half of what your client shows. My client shows that the deposit is 15% for 12hr, 30% for 24hr, and 60% for 48hr auctions (% of vendor value). The announcement on the front page says it will be half of what my client shows, so that should mean it actually would charge me 7.5% for 12hr, 15% for 24hr, and 30% for 48hr. Instead, I get charged 37.5% for 12hr, 75% for 24hr, and 150% for 48hr.

Again, I'm not asking for the AH to be free. If it had been what the client shows of 15% for 12hr, 30% for 24hr, and 60% for 48hr, I would not have brought up the issue. I just am asking it to not be in excess of what the client shows it should be.
Last edited by bairchan on 07 Nov 2013 06:04, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor_J
Developer

#7 » Post by Doctor_J » 07 Nov 2013 02:32

well strange but my client shows more than 15% and fee is half what is shown in client all look at the ss'es below, character had exactly 100g before placing the auction, placed 2 primordial saronite saronite client said the deposit was 21g when I placed the auction ah took 10g50s deposit leaving me with with 89g50s, since 10g50 is half of, another way to think about this is the deposit displayed is the same about as the vendor price of the item, the deposit is worked out from the vendor price of the item not the price you put,

bairchan

#8 » Post by bairchan » 07 Nov 2013 05:45

Ok, so disabling addons, my screen now shows the same percentage as yours(75% for 12hr, 150% for 24hr, and 300% for 48hr). My addon must assume the server is using blizzlike values... As I stated before, these percentages are based on the price you sell it to the vendor for, not what you post for in the auction house.

While it is half of what is shown in the client, what is shown in the client is not what is normal for the auction house.
blizzlike is 15% for 12hr, 30% for 24hr, and 60% for 48hr

I guess I should rephrase that as blizzlike for faction AHs. Neutral AH is the same percentage as what is shown in the client without my addons. 75% for 12hr, 150% for 24hr, and 300% for 48hr.

I do understand that we have a joined auction house, but I think it is unreasonable to have the AH price based off of a neutral AH, since the neutral AH deposit is 5 times that of the normal auction house. In other words, you say it is half price, but in reality it is 2 and a half times as much as normal, since 5 / 2 = 2.5

Again, I'm not asking for it to be free, just for it to be what the normal(not neutral) AH deposit/fees are.

emsy
Former Staff

#9 » Post by emsy » 07 Nov 2013 08:11

I never knew that neutral AH has higher cuts than faction AHs D:

It makes sense the cuts are taken from neutral AH since we have crossfaction enabled.

So the cuts and deposits should be lowered to 10% instead.

bairchan

#10 » Post by bairchan » 08 Nov 2013 01:53

I didn't know that either until I saw that the fees had changed and I started researching it to see why they were so high.

Yes, 10% of Neutral AH deposit is 50% of Faction AH deposit.

It is made a little more complicated because while the deposits for Neutral AH is 5x that of faction AH, the neutral AH cut is 3x (15% of sale price) that of faction AH(5% of sale price). Whether you want to set them both to 10% of neutral AH or have different percentages so they are both the same % of faction AH is up to you the dev team (and I guess partially on how the server software handles this, I'm not that familiar with trinity core)

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#11 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 08 Nov 2013 03:15

Well I'm glad to see the changes done to the AH even though I never actually use it.
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Leaf

#12 » Post by Leaf » 09 Nov 2013 15:58

The AH is stealing 2.5% of every sell - it takes 7.5% instead of 5%! <- not blizzlike
- Introducing the all new eyePhone 2.0!
[People cheer and take out their money.]
- Dumb bastards.

emsy
Former Staff

#13 » Post by emsy » 12 Nov 2013 23:06

rates lowered to 0.1

Teal Deer

#14 » Post by Teal Deer » 13 Nov 2013 01:45

0.1 = 10% of vendor price?

bairchan

#15 » Post by bairchan » 13 Nov 2013 04:18

emsy wrote:rates lowered to 0.1
Thank you very much Emsy! :D
Teal Deer wrote:0.1 = 10% of vendor price?
.1 meaning .1 of Neutral AH(which is 5x Faction AH), so the percentages of vendor price for deposits are:
12hr: 7.5%
24hr: 15%
48hr: 30%