[Pending] Split Donation and Vote Points + Allow Gifting Through Donation Points

Hansrutger
Former Staff

[Pending] Split Donation and Vote Points + Allow Gifting Through Donation Points

#1 » Post by Hansrutger » 29 Dec 2015 02:40

So I was thinking about this when I bought a friend retail wow, you can gift stuff on battle.net however in our shop you cannot really gift others anything. It would be both kinda hard and not, you would still not need to know their username or email, just gift it to a specific character.

Simple UI:

Problems:
If you want to go the lazy way out you simply just do like above. However, notice the red marked circle. This is only thing that could create a problem. But if you go the lazy way (described below) you simply don't have to mind so much about it.

Lazy way:
Player pressed the Gift btn, it doesn't take into count which character you picked but instead will create a new webpage (or remove all previous elements and create new ones, whichever you want) and take in only 2 textboxs where first one is to pick from which account to take the voting points from, where the second one is where player can type a characters name to send the item to. The input will be searched for after player presses "Send item" and if the character was found && enough vote points was found on the senders account it will be sent.

Not-lazy way:
You need to redo the whole shop in order to make this function somewhat fancy.
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

mcheka

Re: Gifting people!

#2 » Post by mcheka » 29 Dec 2015 03:47

+1, nice idea. Might take awhile to implement, though.
Aurelian the Immortal
<Massive Forearms>
Danuvius of Inquisition

Fastor

#3 » Post by Fastor » 29 Dec 2015 04:03

Reason why this was Rejected several times before is to prevent "alternative vote points transfer" that is to prevent that players vote on one account so they would send items to other account.

However, moving vote points that are gained by donation has already been done, so buying gifts from donated vote points would seem somewhat OK.

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#4 » Post by Hansrutger » 29 Dec 2015 04:16

If that's the issue then they need to seperate what is donating points and what is voting points, as I mainly meant to gift others with voting points earned by donating.
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

Roel
Founder

#5 » Post by Roel » 29 Dec 2015 10:53

Or it would need to be done at the donate page, actually sending the web points to a different account. Then the other player can choose a gift from the shop themselves.

Anyway at the moment you can send me a message and I can manually move donated points to a different account. This Xmas there was even someone who wanted to gift to a dozen different accounts. But overall there aren't that many requests.

Wilcox

#6 » Post by Wilcox » 29 Dec 2015 12:07

^

if this was implemented to the vote shop, people would simply gift their own characters. in retail, you pay for an account, and paying even more to have another account AND even even more to gift something from one account to other seems highly unlikely

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Hansrutger » 29 Dec 2015 15:55

Well I strongly suggest at least a simple html page is done with explanation like Roel posted, about that information and then people could PM Roel with right title and content format so it would be even easier for him.
Retired

Nyeriah

#8 » Post by Nyeriah » 29 Dec 2015 16:29

Just sending the points is the easy way, but it's not the optimal. I mean, it kinda breaks the feelings the fact they'll have to end up buying it themselves :(

It'd be better if they were split, actually, they don't exactly need to, but, the donated funds need to be recorded elsewhere. And then on the first purchase the donated funds are subtracted over the vote points. So as long as the donated balance is positive, and they have enough web points to complete the purchase, the gift would be sent. I would also go ahead and allow people to send a message of their own in the item gift mail if they felt like it, etc.

It's a good idea, that I have also suggested before, but as Fastor said, it was shot down due to these reasons. And then when I mentioned finding a way to make it work later, if I remember correctly, perka wanted to shoot me so I didn't really bother further with it.

I guess it's something we could see further down this year I guess if the discussions end up positively here.

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#9 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 29 Dec 2015 17:50

WHAT IF!
instead of when people donate they can earn donation points instead of vote points and they can use their donation points to
a. gift some item on the vote shop to someone
b. turn them into regular vote points at the ratio of 1:1

Nothing would change except the fact that donors would have to press one more button to convert their donation points to vote points
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Nyeriah

#10 » Post by Nyeriah » 29 Dec 2015 18:47

Honestly, whatever we come through right now would be just a detour from what probably should have been done from the start, which is, splitting the points originating from donations and voting. From the amounts of work required, and how less intuitive it might be, I'm not sure now if we'd wish to do it at this point. So it needs some time to see what'd be the best approach to it.

Mythilogic

#11 » Post by Mythilogic » 29 Dec 2015 18:59

Roel wrote: at the moment you can send me a message and I can manually move donated points to a different account..
A gifting page for this would be both easy, fast and effective for those who desires to be nice.

Using a template somewhat like this:
Amount of DonatePoints: [______]
//Your Price Will be:

Gifting To: [_____] (Character Name)

[GIFT]
And if it's a specific item, just add a tab or something in "/shop" called "Gifting" where there's an option to send the specific item to a character. Like, this character gets the ITEM through ingame-mail with regards from whoever sent it.

A little extra feature, now if you actually will do this, is to add a comment box on this tab. A box where the user can write a custom message to the receiptant.

In all general, +1 for this idea!

Wilcox

#12 » Post by Wilcox » 30 Dec 2015 01:08

Nyeriah wrote:Honestly, whatever we come through right now would be just a detour from what probably should have been done from the start, which is, splitting the points originating from donations and voting. From the amounts of work required, and how less intuitive it might be, I'm not sure now if we'd wish to do it at this point. So it needs some time to see what'd be the best approach to it.
so let's make it like this.

voting gives you vote points, donating gives you donation points

prices on the market are all the same, for example, faction change is 500 vote points and 500 donation points, but additionally you can use donation points to gift stuff to other players. however, with vote points you won't be able to

get me?

Mythilogic

#13 » Post by Mythilogic » 30 Dec 2015 01:21

Wilcox wrote:
Nyeriah wrote:Honestly, whatever we come through right now would be just a detour from what probably should have been done from the start, which is, splitting the points originating from donations and voting. From the amounts of work required, and how less intuitive it might be, I'm not sure now if we'd wish to do it at this point. So it needs some time to see what'd be the best approach to it.

prices on the market are all the same, for example, faction change is 500 vote points and 500 donation points, but additionally you can use donation points to gift stuff to other players. however, with vote points you won't be able to

get me?
+1

Nyeriah

#14 » Post by Nyeriah » 30 Dec 2015 06:26

Wilcox wrote:

get me?
What you described is the clear assumption of how it would work if split. Which eventually is exactly what I said when I mentioned it should have been split from the start.

You're ignoring that whatever approach is decided, it'll still need to be put to work. I haven't even looked at the shop scripts yet to see how 'easy' would any changes bend in. However it's safe to assume a redesign won't come in easily.

I also assume vote points would have priority over donation points when consolidating a sale. Also, users would likely not be able to complete the points they're missing by mixing currencies (which might be inconvenient).

These are the two first things that passed through my mind when I wrote that. I guess more will show up once we start working on it, if we start working on it.

It's not the "go and do the obvious" kind of thing. Get me? [emoji14]

Roel
Founder

#15 » Post by Roel » 30 Dec 2015 09:00

Blacklustersoldier wrote:WHAT IF!
instead of when people donate they can earn donation points instead of vote points and they can use their donation points to
a. gift some item on the vote shop to someone
b. turn them into regular vote points at the ratio of 1:1

Nothing would change except the fact that donors would have to press one more button to convert their donation points to vote points
I think this is the most reasonable option. Essentially it's splitting the points but still allowing people to combine them for one big purchase in the shop. It's probably also one of the easier ways to implement it.