Why I think that TrueWoW should launch a new PTE PvP server (reddit link)

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Zak Preston

Why I think that TrueWoW should launch a new PTE PvP server (reddit link)

#1 » Post by Zak Preston » 24 Aug 2017 14:22

https://www.reddit.com/r/wowservers/com ... te_server/

In short, the new PTE PvP server should attract plenty of people (if a decent promo campaign is launched).
I haven't joined your the PTE experience only because the realm was PvE with x-faction interaction (perhaps because of low-pop), but I definitely will if a PvP realm is launched.

lrctgl
Donor

Re: Why I think that TrueWoW should launch a new PTE PvP server (reddit link)

#2 » Post by lrctgl » 24 Aug 2017 14:31

its stated quite clearly many times in that reddit a new pte would spread the population and not bring enough in to compensate -1

Zak Preston

#3 » Post by Zak Preston » 24 Aug 2017 14:38

is it the only cons? People are scared that a new realm can kill the old one?

Owlcapwn

#4 » Post by Owlcapwn » 24 Aug 2017 15:19

Pretty certain it will. Plus with the new core in place, I'm not sure how much of the old work in vanilla is still existen the same as in vanilla phase, so my guess is that there still needs to be plenty of work to get vanilla working as good as during our original vanilla. That combined with the fact that the staff is already indicating they're spread thinly I would not be for another PTE server. Maybe around the same time or just before Primal hits wotlk, but now is not the time.

Zak Preston

#5 » Post by Zak Preston » 24 Aug 2017 16:24

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but the problem with the whole True\Primal-WoW project is the lack of proper promo. Lots of people on /r/wowservers are yearning for a fresh and good WotLK server. Check TrueWoW's population: 11 people online on a WotLK server despite a decent demand. Same can be said about Primal-PTE realm: a fresh start may and WILL attract content-hungry youtubers and crowd that is tired of vanilla-Vanilla (you know what I mean).

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#6 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 24 Aug 2017 16:55

Zak Preston wrote:
24 Aug 2017 16:24
Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but the problem with the whole True\Primal-WoW project is the lack of proper promo. Lots of people on /r/wowservers are yearning for a fresh and good WotLK server. Check TrueWoW's population: 11 people online on a WotLK server despite a decent demand. Same can be said about Primal-PTE realm: a fresh start may and WILL attract content-hungry youtubers and crowd that is tired of vanilla-Vanilla (you know what I mean).
People have been promoting the server for a long time on wowservers. There are 2 problems:
1) People on wowservers are lemmings. If you think they are yearning for a specific server type, you are largely mistaken no matter what they may say. People there want a server with a population base akin to a live server in 2008 with as little fuckups as possible. The paradigm there is that we're a small server and so most pass us by despite the fact that we're historically been a better server than most. It's a bullshit catch 22, but if you're looking for reasonable people on wowservers you will be disappointed.

2) The mods there recently made any promotion that matters against the rules. You can't self-post shit, basically, and even if the mods don't get you, as soon as you say something positive about a server you are labeled as a shill and largely ignored. A number of us used to post videos and streams there. I'm not sure if it really lead to a rise in playership but I always noticed a huge bump in views over the baseline videos which I didn't post there.

If you can't tell, I'm sliiiightly down on reddit right now :p. Sadly, the private server scene right now is largely a binary boom-or-bust atmosphere which is as much based on perception or word-of-mouth as it is on reality. I would argue that assisting in testing/bugtracking and simply logging in and having fun on the server will do as much to help the server as a "promo" work will right now.
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

natnat123
Former Staff

#7 » Post by natnat123 » 24 Aug 2017 17:04

Fitzpatrick wrote:
24 Aug 2017 16:55
Zak Preston wrote:
People have been promoting the server for a long time on wowservers. There are 2 problems:
1) People on wowservers are lemmings. If you think they are yearning for a specific server type, you are largely mistaken no matter what they may say. People there want a server with a population base akin to a live server in 2008 with as little fuckups as possible. The paradigm there is that we're a small server and so most pass us by despite the fact that we're historically been a better server than most. It's a bullshit catch 22, but if you're looking for reasonable people on wowservers you will be disappointed.

2) The mods there recently made any promotion that matters against the rules. You can't self-post shit, basically, and even if the mods don't get you, as soon as you say something positive about a server you are labeled as a shill and largely ignored. A number of us used to post videos and streams there. I'm not sure if it really lead to a rise in playership but I always noticed a huge bump in views over the baseline videos which I didn't post there.

If you can't tell, I'm sliiiightly down on reddit right now :p. Sadly, the private server scene right now is largely a binary boom-or-bust atmosphere which is as much based on perception or word-of-mouth as it is on reality. I would argue that assisting in testing/bugtracking and simply logging in and having fun on the server will do as much to help the server as a "promo" work will right now.
+!

Zak Preston

#8 » Post by Zak Preston » 24 Aug 2017 17:25

Fitzpatrick wrote:
Zak Preston wrote:

/r/wowservers consists of vocal minority, of course, but this minority is extremely vocal. There is no way Gummy's Felmyst (R.I.P :cry: ) could become so popular without it. But the project doesn't need to be hyped to become popular: Warmane is largely hated on this sub, but it's still one of the largest projects because of it's decent quality compared to other PServers.

IMO the perfect population is 2-4k on peak times, which is quite doable if the server is well-scripted, stable and has adequate administration.

In general, a decent project attracts more people, including youtubers, who in their turn make reviews and may even stay on this server for more experience and content for their videos.

natnat123
Former Staff

#9 » Post by natnat123 » 24 Aug 2017 17:58

the perfect pop is more like 1k-1500 or maybe 2k. not too little, not too much.

doom2099

#10 » Post by doom2099 » 24 Aug 2017 19:18

Fitzpatrick wrote:
I would argue that assisting in testing/bugtracking and simply logging in and having fun on the server will do as much to help the server as a "promo" work will right now.
This

kurthos

#11 » Post by kurthos » 25 Aug 2017 02:41

TrueWoW already has plans for a new WotLK server and had already announced it even.

Vanilla is unrealistic again as they would have to rework most of the content again after moving to the new core.

The progression path and release schedule from vanilla until WotLK for primal is already planned out (until 2022~).

Xenitron

#12 » Post by Xenitron » 25 Aug 2017 21:01

TrueWoW had better scripting than most of other servers,better moderation proportional to its player base than any server and still when u recommend it to new people everybody is like "meh, population is low,its graveyard" and then they go to warmane which everybody "hates", just because of high playerbase.In conclusion everybody "likes" good scripted server but high population is better even if everything is broken and GM don't actually moderate it,and ban everybody that starts pointing it out or say anything bad about server.

Plus to sustain player base you need snowball, since we witnessed past weeks that everybody starts leaving when they get DCed twice a day-but still when you can't log on server with 12k players and everything lags thats is normal.Bunch of hypocrites.

Doctor_J
Developer

#13 » Post by Doctor_J » 26 Aug 2017 12:09

Wel as we already know some pservers pay voting sites for top spots in voting lists even though we know this is not how this is meant to work but we all know it happens.

Think everyone has seen it when you have to come to vote and suddenly one day a pserver noone has ever heard of has taken top spot

and some of these voting sites are owned by pservers and you can guess where there priortitys lay