How can we help

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Beowolf009

How can we help

#1 » Post by Beowolf009 » 04 Aug 2017 21:52

I am just curious if there's anything us regular players can do to assist you guys in your work to keep the server maintained, besides the usual voting, donations, bug reports. I seem to have issues with the bug tracker, myself.
Rum before 10AM makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic...

Jiranthos
Admin

Re: How can we help

#2 » Post by Jiranthos » 04 Aug 2017 22:36

Yes, there are tons of things you can do to contribute.
You can apply for GM and do customer service. You can learn some basic SQL and contribute fixes for quests and NPC abilities, eventually becoming a Developer. You stay outside of the Staff as a regular player, but join the Testing team and give us information on what is broken and what is not. You can retest Bug Tracker reports if they are still broken or not, you can submit new Bug Reports. You can make some fun events.
Maybe there is something you specialize in and are skilled in that you would like to do.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

Beowolf009

#3 » Post by Beowolf009 » 05 Aug 2017 02:31

Beautiful answer, I have SQL books and some very basic programming knowledge. I dont know how to look at the stuff that would need to be fix, though. I'll look around and see what I can learn. I seen the staff list. Lot of developers, but never enough. Thank you for the reply.

SilverWolf

#4 » Post by SilverWolf » 07 Aug 2017 19:33

You may also want to look at Nyeriah's Developer's Den blog, http://nyeriah.blogspot.com.br/. It hasn't been updated recently, but it's a good place to start.

I would also be interested in learning more about developing fixes for TrueWow/PrimalWow. If the best way to do that is to work directly on TrinityCore, I can, but if there's a more TW/PW specific way, I'd prefer that.

IronSharona
Former Staff

#5 » Post by IronSharona » 07 Aug 2017 19:38

SilverWolf wrote:
07 Aug 2017 19:33
I would also be interested in learning more about developing fixes for TrueWow/PrimalWow. If the best way to do that is to work directly on TrinityCore, I can, but if there's a more TW/PW specific way, I'd prefer that.
Many of the fixes we require do come from bugs in TrinityCore as well. If you get a local install of TC and look through the bug tracker, see if you can find issues that 1) Do occur in base TC and 2) You think you can fix. [If they've already been resolved that's fine. I'm suggesting a way to practice first. Once you feel confident you can grab unresolved issues and request to submit fixes for them.]

Most of the simple fixes can help you get to know the database well and make more complex, server specific problems a breeze. :)
Welcome to the new decade! Let's hope the Roaring 20's come with just as much jazz, but a bit less prohibition and Great Depression. 8-)

SilverWolf

#6 » Post by SilverWolf » 07 Aug 2017 23:18

1. What is the recommended platform for developing with TrinityCore to be most similar to here? (Linux?)
  2. I'm guessing that the 3.3.5 version of TrinityCore would be the proper place to start, correct?
  3. Is there an easy way to check if something has already been fixed here that's not in TrinityCore already?
  4. What is the recommended way of submitting a patch?
  5. Is there someplace else I should ask these questions? ^_^

Eronox
MVP

#7 » Post by Eronox » 07 Aug 2017 23:35

1. Any which u feel confident in tbf
2. yep
3. bugtracker
4. not sure, share full fix through PMs I suppose (to not have it exposed)
5. PM an Admin is probl the most rewarding gate as of information to that :)

Thanks for true interest, hopefully we shall see more of you

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

necropola
Donor

#8 » Post by necropola » 10 Aug 2017 02:13

Are you or are you not contributing back to TC-3.3.5?
I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many. I am the Borg

Beowolf009

#9 » Post by Beowolf009 » 10 Aug 2017 03:08

Silverwolf, thank you for the blog post, the basic introduction and ability to see running programming helps point out what I should be looking for. Bare with me, not as experienced in programming as I could be, but the practice to do something live should help get me back into everything.

Sothan

#10 » Post by Sothan » 21 Aug 2017 20:18

Beowolf009 wrote:
05 Aug 2017 02:31
Beautiful answer, I have SQL books and some very basic programming knowledge. I dont know how to look at the stuff that would need to be fix, though. I'll look around and see what I can learn. I seen the staff list. Lot of developers, but never enough. Thank you for the reply.
The sql stuff is something any one can help with and is not to hard to get into I really was getting into it before the tbc launch and helping with stuff. I been thinking of putting up a small guide to help others using the stuff I learned for it. I pretty well dropped off doing that stuff myself though. But start on small bugs and start trying to fix them. You don't need a lot of major sql experience more of just learning how to do things in trinity core.

Sothan

#11 » Post by Sothan » 21 Aug 2017 20:25

Sothan wrote:
21 Aug 2017 20:18
Beowolf009 wrote:
05 Aug 2017 02:31
The sql stuff is something any one can help with and is not to hard to get into I really was getting into it before the tbc launch and helping with stuff. I pretty well dropped off doing that stuff myself though. But start on small bugs and start trying to fix them. You don't need a lot of major sql experience more of just learning how to do things in trinity core. Testers are always needed though hard to fix bugs when they are not getting reported.