Fire Mage?

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Hypoterrian

Fire Mage?

#1 » Post by Hypoterrian » 28 Dec 2016 17:05

So I started playing as mage and it is very fun! I enjoy the class and I want to go for fire Mage but I don't know what spells should I use later and in the long run and which talents are the most suitable when it comes to the talents. So tell me some tips.

Brennus

Re: Fire Mage?

#2 » Post by Brennus » 28 Dec 2016 20:40

TrueWoW or PrimalWoW?
What level are you?
Plan on PvPing once in a while or just pure PvE?
Wanna level up quickly or avoid respecs at all costs?
Questing or grinding?

Can't help you much without knowing some stuff first :(

Some pieces of advice I can give you:

If you are level 30 or lower, cast frostbolt from max range first, and then, use your spell of choice. This way, mobs will take longer to get to you. At this level, grinding several mobs at once is not a good idea because of downtime (drinking, eating, corpse walking, etc.).

As fire mage, I don't really like Pyroblast early in the game, but if you do, then a good rotation might be:
If you are out of combat - target mob, then cast Pyroblast, Frostbolt (Rank 1), then Fireball them to death. Fireblast is nice once available, but it's not mana-efficient.
Remember, Frost Nova and Cone of Cold are also great friends.
If you are playing on Primal, then no Glyphs for you. Otherwise, I recommend that you get Glyph of Evocation as soon as you learn Evocation spell (this glyph makes your Evocation spell regenerate HP as well).

If you don't mind the costs, levelling with a semi-PvP spec is better, as it will improve some aspects like survivability, burst damage, crowd control, etc. which are nice for questing/grinding.

If you are broke and money IS a problem, then try to spend your talents more or less in a "max-level build" fashion.

Hope that helps, and I'm looking forward to see you in-game :D
•     Currently No longer Once again retired (now it's for real)     •

Fastor

#3 » Post by Fastor » 28 Dec 2016 20:41

Well first of all, l would not like to level up as fire mage, at least not up to level 60 where you get Living bomb. l strongly recommend going frost and l had already explained before in this topic Mage Leveling how and where to place talents up
Fastor wrote:As usual due to lots of spells doing better at higher level, frost spec is best for leveling since you slow enemies incoming on you and even if they live to reach you, you got shield.

Here is up to level 40 http://www.truewow.org/talent-calculator#oZZAccckbu0fz

At start you should strive to get Frostbite 3/3 so you got chance to keep enemy stuck far from you so you dont lose HP, after it priority is Precision 3/3 since you would need it when attacking higher level mobs. Between those two talents do Improved Frostbolt 5/5 since you are going to spam it all time.

You are now in pursuit of getting talent Shatter 3/3 but to unlock it you 4 more talents, l recommend Improved Blizzard 1/3 only one point just to add chill effect onto Blizzard spell so if you pull whole pile of mobs, Blizzard would slow them and with Frostbite, stun them. Also get Piercing Ice 3/3 to increase your damage done, which is better than Ice Shards since your crit rating would be still low to trigger it. After Improved Blizzard 1/3 and Piercing Ice 3/3 get Shatter 3/3 to increase crit rating on stunned enemies.

Your last stop would be Ice Barrier 1/1 via talent Winters Chill 3/3 which would increase your crit rating, however those talents are locked so you need to go other talents. l recommend getting Arctic Reach 2/2 first then Ice Shards 3/3. Grab Icy Veins 1/1 since its nice and we need one more talent anyway.

After that your path is clear, you grab Cold Snap 1/1 which is on way toward Ice Barrier 1/1, you grab Winters Chill 3/3 and since you missing 2 more talents to unlock Ice Barrier 1/1, you get Cold as Ice 2/2 which reduce Cooldown on Ice Barrier which is nice. And you get Ice Barrier and you are covered.

Taking 2 points in Improved Fire Blast might look nice at start, but later you will just spam Frostbolt all the time so its not so nice when you need talents, but never the less its still useful. Also after you get Ice Barrier, consider Permafrost to slow enemies even more and Ice Floes to reduce CD on Frost Nova for those moments when bunch of mobs are chasing you.

Frost Warding is waste actually, since point is to keep mobs slowed while you move away a bit before you shoot another Frostbolt and not to hold them off with your Armor.

Rotation: have Frost Armor/Arcane Intelect > cast Ice Barrier (Frost or Fire Ward if needed) > polymorph one mob if there are two of them > cast one Frostbolt at enemy > cast Ice Veins if mob does not have very few HP or its on CD > continue spamming Frostbolt > if enemy is getting too close to you start moving away but use Fire Blast since its instant cast > turn around and continue Frostbolt before debuff goes off mob > recast Ice Barrier if needed.

PS: Sorry for small comment, lm tired and cant explain more.
After when you reach level 60 and want to switch to fire, l recommend to use talents in fire tree as you would for FB/TTW spec which l explained here Basics of both Mages Fire specs.

Fastor

#4 » Post by Fastor » 31 Dec 2016 12:22

Why no one is talking about mages :(