Guide to the Unique Benefits of the different Professions.

innocentguy

Guide to the Unique Benefits of the different Professions.

#1 » Post by innocentguy » 30 Jan 2014 10:11

"Which profession is best for Class A, B, C?"

I've seen (and had) a lot of questions about professions. So here's a general guide to some of the unique, endgame benefits of actually having certain professions on your character. I will not include, of course, the obvious benefits of being able to craft your own gear / cut your own gems, etc.

Acronyms that should be obvious:
SP - Spell Power
AP - Attack Power
Sta - Stamina
GCD - Global Cooldown
ICD - Internal Cooldown

** It should be noted that most professions give a standard, extra increase of
46 SP, 80 AP or 60 Sta.

Enchanting:

Unique Ring enchants.
46 SP - 2x Enchant Ring - Greater Spellpower,
80 AP - 2x Enchant Ring - Assault or
60 Sta - 2x Enchant Ring - Stamina.

Leatherworking:

Fur Lining for Wrists.
46 SP - Fur Lining - Spell Power vs Enchant Bracer - Superior Spellpower,
80 AP - Fur Lining - Attack Power vs Enchant Bracers - Greater Assault, or
62 Sta - Fur Lining - Stamina vs Enchant Bracers - Major Stamina.

Also various other Fur Linings that can be used for spell resistances.
As well as cost savings in being able to use Jormungar Leg Reinforcements and Nerubian Leg Reinforcements over Frosthide Leg Armor and Icescale Leg Armor, respectively.

Tailoring:

Funky Cloak enchants.
Chance to gain 295 SP for 15 sec (60 sec ICD) - Lightweave Embroidery, or
Chance to gain 400 AP for 15 sec (45 sec ICD) - Swordguard Embroidery, or
Chance to gain 400 Mana - - - - - - (60 sec ICD) - Darkglow Embroidery.

Of course, these cloak enchants have to be compared to the various options from Enchanting and Engineering (see below)
(Usually, 23 Haste, 22 Agi, 225 Armor or 16 Defense Rating enchants are used).
Also Northern Cloth Scavenging (rofl) and Frostweave Net,
as well as cost savings in being able to use Sanctified Spellthread and Master's Spellthread over Brilliant Spellthread and Sapphire Spellthread, respectively.

Powerful Shoulder enchants
46 SP - Either Master's Inscription of the Storm or Master's Inscription of the Crag vs either Greater Inscription of the Storm or Greater Inscription of the Crag,
80 AP - Master's Inscription of the Axe vs Greater Inscription of the Axe, or
40 Dodge Rating - Master's Inscription of the Pinnacle vs Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle.

The above "Greater" shoulder enchants from the Sons of Hodir are purchased for about 100g, this profession should result in some cost savings (depends on how you obtain your Snowfall Ink).
Note: Some tanks prefer the PvP enchant Greater Inscription of the Gladiator due to the benefits of stacking Sta in ICC.

Blacksmithing:

2 extra prismatic sockets
Socket Bracer and Socket Gloves.
E.g. 46 SP from 2x Runed Cardinal Ruby or 60 Sta from 2x Solid Majestic Zircon.

The 2 extra sockets allow you to gain the equivalent of the aforementioned, standard stat increase (46 SP, 60 Sta, 80 AP) by using 2 epic gems. Classes that benefit more from stats other than SP, Sta or AP, such as Strength or Armor Penetration, would see the most use out of Blacksmithing.

Jewelcrafting:

3x Jeweler's Gems
E.g. Rigid Dragon's Eye & Fractured Dragon's Eye
These gems are take up a socket, much like any regular gem, but add more stats than the regular gems. Only 3 can be used, per Jewelcrafter.

In addition to some flexibility in stat gains (see Blacksmithing), the extra benefit from the 3 Jeweler's Gems exceeds the standard benefits from most other professions.
E.g.1 => 3x Runed Dragon's Eye - 3x Runed Cardinal Ruby = 117 SP - 69 SP = 48 SP
E.g.2 => 3x Solid Dragon's Eye - 3x Solid Majestic Zircon = 153 Sta - 90 Sta = 63 Sta

Engineering:

A bunch of unique and cool stuff.
Back - 27 SP or 23 Agi + Parachute
=> Springy Arachnoweave or Flexweave Underlay
Gloves - 340 Haste for 12 sec per min, 885 Armor or damaging rockets every 45 sec
=> Hyperspeed Accelerators, Reticulated Armor Webbing or Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket
Boots - 24 Crit Rating
=> Nitro Boosts

And that's not all! Engineering has various other funky stuff that can be used for different scenarios, such as grenades & teleporters. This post is already too long for all that (my apologies; please do your own research :D).
Of course, these 'tinkers' take the place of regular enchants.

Gathering Professions:

Mining - 60 Sta from Toughness
Skinning - 40 Crit Rating from Master of Anatomy
Herbalism - Healing Cooldown Lifeblood

Alchemy:

1 amazing flask & Mixology!!
47 SP or 80 AP or 40 Str - Flask of the North > Note: This flask is "not consumed when used" i.e. it is effectively a permanent buff as long as you remember to use it.

Mixology - "an increased effect and duration when you drink any elixir or flask you are able to make."
The increased effect for the Endgame Flasks is as follows:
172 SP (125 + 47) when using Flask of the Frost Wyrm
260 AP (180 + 80) when using Flask of Endless Rage
1948 HP (1300 + 648) when using Flask of Stoneblood
63 Mp5 (45 + 18) when using Flask of Pure Mojo

Note: These flasks will last for a total of 2 hours instead of 1 with Mixology, which also increases the effect & duration of 'normal' elixirs such as Elixir of Deadly Strikes.
Also Endless Healing Potion & Endless Mana Potion.

To conclude, I would say that in a very, VERY general, purely endgame PvE context, Melee DPS + Hunters would prefer Blacksmithing + Jewelcrafting, while Caster DPS would prefer Tailoring for optimal stats. In PvP however, Engineering has been shown to shine brighter than the other professions. To each his own however, and like I mentioned at the start, each profession has other benefits that one might prefer (such as the flying carpets from Tailoring <3)

I do hope that this very general guide has been helpful.

Disclaimers:
All numbers and links are from http://wotlk.openwow.com. Do inform me if there are discrepancies with what is 'live'. Openwow isn't 100% accurate but it's the best we've got and it's already pretty good.
This guide is meant to contain information about what each profession has to offer in terms of endgame stats.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the tinkers from Engineering do take the place of regular enchants, just like how the Jeweler's Gems from JC take the place of regular gems.

Edit: Updated the Alchemy section after the fix to Mixology. Many thanks to Nyeriah.

Edit: Hopefully made it easier to read, also added in ICDs for the Tailoring enchants.

Edit: More cosmetic changes. Colours!! ~jazz hands~ (Hope I didn't choose any horrible ones; swapped the bright pink on Tailoring to a softer one in the end.)
Last edited by innocentguy on 28 Nov 2014 03:08, edited 6 times in total.
No one is simply entitled to anything in this world.
Whatever you want, you have to earn, be it money, respect or love.
[/color]
My Innocents:

Innocentguy - Priest ( Shadow / Discipline )
Innocence - Shaman ( Elemental / Restoration )
InnocentIcon - Death Knight ( Blood {Tank} / Unholy {DPS} )
Innocentshot - Hunter ( Marksmanship / Survival )
Innocentone - Druid ( Restoration / Feral {DPS} )
Innocenthope - Paladin ( Retribution / Holy )
~ In the end, Innocence is Brilliant ~

Iniyam

Re: Guide to the Unique Benefits of the different Profession

#2 » Post by Iniyam » 30 Jan 2014 12:37

Great post!
Cheating is bad. Using an item to cheat is bad. Regardless of how said item was obtained, use of said item is bad. Bad people will be banned.
Iniyam                                      Inimin

Belthezar

#3 » Post by Belthezar » 30 Jan 2014 14:48

In short, there are no class-related professions, simply gear proficiency related professions (tailoring, leatherworking, blacksmithing).
The rest works fine for anyone.
Check out my WTB list all you silent farmers out there!
http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13204

Darchrow
Donor

#4 » Post by Darchrow » 30 Jan 2014 14:53

well there is, kinda...
take into account feral druid's benefit from attack power, it's not that great, so getting tailoring for only 400 attack power proc for a druid is like erm, kind of a waste if you ask me...
i'd rather much more get JC and LW..
teh char list ( 80s ) :
Jynx / Zubat / Alyce ( Swagmourne ) / Discord / Redtube
Disruption / Perplexity / Magejkdruid / Swagstormxqt ( Swagmobile )
Vinegar ~ Lvl 51 Rogue

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

[Guild] [Angrycow]: nice to meet u im Sava and im really horny person

kindzadza ily

Belthezar

#5 » Post by Belthezar » 30 Jan 2014 14:55

That's like saying you'd rather take JC for arp for hunters. It's not class related, simply stat related. Most profs give 1 of each stat that can be used by all classes, not all stats available by every prof will be the most ideal, however.
JC isn't a hunter prof or anything :)
Check out my WTB list all you silent farmers out there!
http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13204

Martynas

#6 » Post by Martynas » 30 Jan 2014 15:03

For PvE rogues (either assassination or combat) the best combination is engineering/jewelcrafting. :)

Nyaneve

#7 » Post by Nyaneve » 31 Jan 2014 01:16

The difference you see from races/profs is minor, but that's just my 2c

ItchyVortex

#8 » Post by ItchyVortex » 31 Jan 2014 09:43

While racial stats dont change anything, racial spells can actually make a huge impact in a fight.
Berserk... nice DPS boost. War stomp, arcane torrent... lets you build up time to get the upper hand on the fight. Shadowmeld... An extra vanish, can also be used to interrupt spells.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

shaun03

#9 » Post by shaun03 » 12 Jun 2014 13:01

Quick question, which dps class (pve & pvp) would benefit from Hyperspeed Accelerators (340 haste for 12 secs per min)?
Feeling as though I've infringed your right to freedom of speech?

[hide="Yes"]Stop being so sensitive, and practice what you preach.[/hide]

[hide="No"]Good for you, your opinion wouldn't matter anyways.[/hide]

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#10 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 12 Jun 2014 14:10

arcane mages, warlocks, shamans, rogues... but in pvp... idk tbh... for pve it's a good proc
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Bluebell
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Bluebell » 12 Jun 2014 18:20

Virtually all casters, and even Ret paladins and maybe DKs/warriors, I would say. But mainly casters.You can use it during DFO or another trinket proc.

Just remember it can't be used with "Use" trinkets, as they'll go on a short cool down once you use the gloves.
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

shaun03

#12 » Post by shaun03 » 13 Jun 2014 08:12

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.
Feeling as though I've infringed your right to freedom of speech?

[hide="Yes"]Stop being so sensitive, and practice what you preach.[/hide]

[hide="No"]Good for you, your opinion wouldn't matter anyways.[/hide]

Demol
Former Staff

#13 » Post by Demol » 16 Jul 2014 22:49

Hello, so I guess Shaun already bumped this post, and I thought I'd discuss and add some notes to it.
*please note that the following guidelines are just recommendations from what I've concluded from my personal researches and tests.
Quick question, which dps class (pve & pvp) would benefit from Hyperspeed Accelerators (340 haste for 12 secs per min)?
Technically, all classes, but if we are speaking about the best fit, then:
For PvP: It would be better to tinker the Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket, almost for all dps classes, as it does a fairly good amount of damage with a low refreshing time, which can serve as a killing shot (mostly for melee classes), or as an instrument to get rid of warrior's Spell Reflection or shaman's Grounding Totem (absorbs it) and be able to inflict your opponent with your main abilities.
Furthermore, haste isn't a preferred stat in PvP, especially for melee and hunter classes; However it could useful for some casters and mostly healers.
For PvE: Hyperspeed Accelerators, giving effectively 68 haste, can fit the best for most dps classes reaching the endgame gear: Retri Paladins, Rogues, Hunters, Feral Druids, (DKs? Not sure I never played them xD).
It can certainly be good for the remaining classes, but just not the best, for example, for warlocks/mages tailoring would fit better.

On a side note, nice guide Innocentguy, if I may add some notes:
innocentguy wrote: Lightweave Embroidery - Chance to gain 295 SP for 15 sec,
With 35% proc chance and a 60 secs ICD, it equates to a consistent 73 SP if we assume it procs when ICD finishes.
For PvE, it would fit the best for Warlocks, Resto and Boomkin Druids, Mages, Priests, Shamans too probably but I'm not quite sure.
innocentguy wrote: Swordguard Embroidery - Chance to gain 400 AP for 15 sec,
With a 45 secs ICD, this one equates to 133 AP.
innocentguy wrote:Darkglow Embroidery - Chance to gain 400 Mana.
60 secs ICD, equivalent to 33 MP5.
Last edited by Demol on 02 Aug 2014 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated tailoring cloak enchants proc rate and ICD.

Bluebell
Former Staff

#14 » Post by Bluebell » 17 Jul 2014 00:09

I dislike putting averages on procs, as there are better times to use them, yes it's a set amount of haste, but you can use it during a trinket or class proc to get more benefit.
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Justicelight
Donor

#15 » Post by Justicelight » 17 Jul 2014 03:36

As a ret paladin, in pve, I use these timed with Avenging Wrath (wings), start: wings+haste, 1 minute later: haste proc, 2 minutes later: wings+haste.
It`s a really nice cd to have as a ret in pve. As in pvp, like Demol said, it's best to have the rocket because of the already stated reasons but also let's not forget the very long range it has - 40 yards if i`m not mistaken.

Cheers
"I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."