Shaman Tank Guide - Playing WoW as a Shaman Tank

Yutilk

Shaman Tank Guide - Playing WoW as a Shaman Tank

#1 » Post by Yutilk » 29 Apr 2022 19:08

I’m Caperfin. Have question? see my Livestream: www.twitch.tv/caperfin
Intro: Can a Shaman tank? The short and to the point answer is, yes. You might be rubbing your eyes in disbelief of this answer. Maybe conjuring a ten page manifesto about how only warriors can and should tank. Although, I can go on a long rant about how there are many other classes that can tank, today, I’ll be focusing on our totemic friend, the shaman.

The topic of viable and optimal is contentious as some don’t see the difference or mix them up and levy a misguided philosophy onto it. Optimal is the most efficient and foolproof solution that eliminates as many negative variables as possible and favors an easier path. Viable or often referred to as: possible, seen as the more challenging path but to many is a greater personal triumph. Shaman Tank is labelled as viable.
Many Shaman tanks agree their motivation is from the glory of seizing a feat the rest of the realm dares not try. If this resonates with you, please continue reading. You shaman tank if you want a challenge and a refreshing perspective from a 15 year old game. If it wasn’t obvious before, shield bearing is a sizable undertaking.

When experienced players Shaman tank and put in the effort, it shines tenfold. Shamans can fully tank 5mans, 10mans, off-tank & main-tank raids. But, this is reliant on personal and guild experience. Our overall defensive statistics won't reach a warrior’s. However, it isn’t necessary to do so, to tank.

You’ll be staring at your character for a long time. So, consider your character’s appearance as a key factor as it may entice you to play more. All races have benefits but they’re minor compared to other aspects. In skilled hands, a Troll's Berserking can save your life and improve threat. Tauren excel at dungeons followed just behind by Orc.

Engineering for: Global Thermal Sapper Charge, Masterwork Target Dummy, Mind Amplification Dish, etc... It also helps if party engineers use Gnomish Battle Chicken since Battle Squawk stacks to 25%. Jewelcrafting for: Solid Dragon's Eye, Figurine Monarch Crab & Ruby Hare.

We can increase threat in many ways, notably: Frost Shock, Stormstrike & Lightning Shield. Install a threat tracking addon, ex: ThreatClassic2. Consumable items deal threat, ex: Powerful Rejuvenation Potion based on half of the Health & Mana gained, similarly does Totemic Recall. (see Threat List). Damage items, ex: The Decapitator's effect (usable t'ill 40yards), will deal threat equal to the damage so do reflective Buffs, ex: Thorns.

Allies can reduce their threat, through items, ex: Fetish of the Sand Reaver. Mage have: Invisibility & Burning Soul. Warlock: Soulshatter. Paladin: Hand of Salvation & Hand of Protection (prevents aggro). Hunter & Rogue redirect threat: Misdirection and Tricks of the Trade. (see More). They can wipe threat: Vanish & Feign Death. Masterwork Target Dummy can "pseudo- Taunt" up t'ill a lvl72 elite mob. Classes in the 30-40 yard range won’t get aggro t'ill they surpass the threat level of the mob’s current target by 30%, as opposed to 10% for melee classes. Image

Totems can't deal threat for you. Common totems: Strength of Earth Totem, Stoneskin Totem & Healing Stream Totem. AoE Tanking: Stoneclaw Totem followed by Fire Nova Totem & Earth Elemental Totem. In optimal raid situations, another shaman should put Mana Spring Totem, so we can cast high mana cost totems, ex: Fire Resistance Totem for Totemic Recall which deals threat.

1. Defensive Talent Setup: (20/51/0).
2. Defensive Talent Setup #2: (0/50/21) Fast reflexes needed to make good use of Maelstrom Weapon + Healing Wave and Nature Swiftness. Only advised for a skilled Shaman Tank.

1. PrePull: Cast Lightning Shield. Get all Buffs the group can supply. Cast Windfury Weapon. Place: Stoneskin Totem, Strength of Earth Totem, Healing Stream Totem & Flametongue Totem. Mark the mobs in front of you by right-clicking their portrait, pick Raid Target Icon, choose from either a Skull = kill first, a red X = kill second, a blue square = Hunter trap and a moon = Polymorph.
2. Pulling: Cast Lightning Bolt Rank14, followed by as many Lightning Bolt Rank1 possible to trigger, Elemental Focus. At 25yards, Frost Shock.
3. Melee Range: In a fight, use Frost Shock ranks that suits mana & threat, lastly Stormstrike if need be. If Lightning Shield expires, recast. If death is imminent, use 5 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon to Healing Wave yourself, equip a defensive weapon, ex: Cloudstrider's Waraxe, use: Runic Healing Potion, Shamanistic Rage, Feral Spirit & Fel Healthstone.

Prioritize defensive Buffs, ex: Mark of the Wild before Threat Buffs, ex: Battle Shout. (see a detailed List of Buffs.)

There's defensive Debuffs: Insect Swarm & threat Debuffs: Faerie Fire among others. See List of Debuffs. With the raid leader’s consent, suggest ideal Debuffs without overstepping.

Solidify defensive stats when gearing, threat is second. The Resilience & Defense stat helps us reach the 5.6% Crit Immunity Cap, PvP gear helps, ex: Savage Gladiator. General Stat Priority: Resil/Defense (t'ill Cap) > Stamina > Armor > Parry > Dodge. See the Gear List. There's two types of enchants, defensive, ex: Enchant Boots - Tuskarr's Vitality. And offensive, ex: Enchant Gloves - Threat.
Here's a complete list of relevant Enchants.

For dungeons: Destruction Warlock, Shadow Priest, Warrior DPS (if willing to Commanding Shout) otherwise Hunter, and lastly Restoration Druid. With the raid leader’s consent, offer an ideal raid comp without overstepping. In our group, Paladin Tank: Divine Guardian + Imp Devotion Aura. Warrior Tank: Intervene, Shadow Priest: Vampiric Embrace, Feral Druid: Imp. Leader of the Pack. To learn more, see the Group/Raid Comp List. Outside of group, for damage dealing classes, we prefer ranged classes, ex: Hunters, especially those w/Tenacity Pets who have Pet Intervene & Roar of Sacrifice. If melee are needed, rogues are best.

Last edited by Yutilk on 04 Sep 2022 19:58, edited 5 times in total.

Kniteknite

Re: Shaman Tank Guide - Playing WoW as a Shaman Tank

#2 » Post by Kniteknite » 30 Apr 2022 04:33

Best topic headline 2022~ +1 ;)
" French fries are like steaks, where the potato is the cow and gets cut up, like meat does, only on a smaller scale. "

Yutilk

#3 » Post by Yutilk » 11 May 2022 20:15

Kniteknite wrote:
30 Apr 2022 04:33
Best topic headline 2022~ +1 ;)
Thank you for commenting, if you have any questions, let me know! I am here to help.

Rascall

#4 » Post by Rascall » 11 May 2022 23:36

I assume that you wrote this out of fun and boredom and it cannot be taken seriously. I support non-mainstream builds, if they work in practice, but there is hardly any evidence that shaman tanking works in practice. Dungeons below level 60 are not a proof that it actually works in this expansion. Everything else incl. a claim of shaman tanking 5 mans and 10 mans is a bold statement (or a joke that does not work).

In any case, if we want to play some theorycrafting here, why Spirit Weapons talent? Parry is of course nice for a tank but 30% threat reduction is a no go no matter what are the advantages unlocked in that talent chain. And there aren´t advantages. Dual Wield, I wonder why? You would need a tanking shield, not a second weapon, Dual Wield Specialization talent would thus not apply and is wasted. The same for Lava Lash. I would also take out Feral Spirit for tanking (nice dps burst but the same as blood dk, as tank you do not need dancing weapon).

If there is any way how to make shaman tanking possible in rhcs (out of seriosness I am not considering anything beyond that), tanking would have to be built on magma totem and fire novas (similarly to hybrid enhancement/spellhance build) to produce aoe threat. For that you would need slightly different elemental subtree and glyph.

Something like this perhaps: https://wotlkdb.com/?talent#hVIhVbZGMxcsE0Ih0oMuV:ozjMc
Rascall Retribution/Holy
Rascallus Blood (tank)/Unholy (DPS)
Rascalluz Affliction/Demonology
Rascalles Feral (bear)/Balance
Rascallez Assassination
Rascallis Arms (DPS)/Arms (tank)
Razcall Marksmanship/Survival
Razcallus Fury/Protection
Razcalluz Feral (cat)/Restoration
Razcalles Combat/Subtlety
Razcaellez Beast Mastery
Razcaell Discipline/Holy
Razcaelllus Enhancement/Restoration
Razcaelluz Blood (DPS)/Frost (tank)
Razcaelles Elemental/Spellhance
Razcaellez Arcane/Frostfire
Rascaell Protection
Rascaellus Frost (DPS)/Unholy (tank)
Rascaelluz Fire/Frost
Rascaelles Shadow
Rascaellez Destruction

...and more...

Kniteknite

#5 » Post by Kniteknite » 12 May 2022 05:52

I find it interesting, and a fresh approach like this is fun to consider~Thanks~
" French fries are like steaks, where the potato is the cow and gets cut up, like meat does, only on a smaller scale. "

Yutilk

#6 » Post by Yutilk » 19 May 2022 21:24

Rascall wrote:
11 May 2022 23:36
I assume that you wrote this out of fun and boredom and it cannot be taken seriously. I support non-mainstream builds, if they work in practice, but there is hardly any evidence that shaman tanking works in practice. Dungeons below level 60 are not a proof that it actually works in this expansion. Everything else incl. a claim of shaman tanking 5 mans and 10 mans is a bold statement (or a joke that does not work).

In any case, if we want to play some theorycrafting here, why Spirit Weapons talent? Parry is of course nice for a tank but 30% threat reduction is a no go no matter what are the advantages unlocked in that talent chain. And there aren´t advantages. Dual Wield, I wonder why? You would need a tanking shield, not a second weapon, Dual Wield Specialization talent would thus not apply and is wasted. The same for Lava Lash. I would also take out Feral Spirit for tanking (nice dps burst but the same as blood dk, as tank you do not need dancing weapon).

If there is any way how to make shaman tanking possible in rhcs (out of seriosness I am not considering anything beyond that), tanking would have to be built on magma totem and fire novas (similarly to hybrid enhancement/spellhance build) to produce aoe threat. For that you would need slightly different elemental subtree and glyph.

Something like this perhaps: https://wotlkdb.com/?talent#hVIhVbZGMxcsE0Ih0oMuV:ozjMc
I noticed your comment and will answer it when I get home.

Yutilk

#7 » Post by Yutilk » 25 May 2022 21:16

Kniteknite wrote:
12 May 2022 05:52
I find it interesting, and a fresh approach like this is fun to consider~Thanks~
Thank you!

venzel

#8 » Post by venzel » 27 May 2022 23:01

Yutilk wrote:
19 May 2022 21:24
Rascall wrote:

Hey, sorry to bother, but are there any news on this? I find this very interesting and I'd love to see a continuation of this discussion.

Yutilk

#9 » Post by Yutilk » 30 May 2022 22:22

Rascall wrote:

Spirit Weapons was picked because you can still deal great amounts of threat through Dual Wield and Lava Lash, you can swap weapons if you didn't know. Feral Spirit is picked for the AoE taunt, which helps versus many mobs. The alternative is Nature's Swiftness which allows for an instant Healing Wave.

Although I don't condone DPS doing less damage, remember this:
The entire threat aspect of tanking can satisfied with DPS simply dealing less damage. But with the survival aspect, your life is in the hands of healers hopefully overperforming. Basically, you try and improve what is hard to come by or uncertain, hence Spirit Weapons, Nature Guardian, etc...
Last edited by Yutilk on 08 Jun 2022 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Rascall

#10 » Post by Rascall » 31 May 2022 00:17

No matter how much threat you can generate, it will always be reduced by 30% via that talent. It just does not make sense to tank with that talent. Yes you can swap shield for a weapon but that defies the purpose of having a tanking shield with armor. And you want to have as much armor as possible since apart from neck, cloak, rings and trinkets and weapon there are no proper tanking items for you. Agility items, incl. tier sets will give some armor but it is not enough. You would need to gem defense almost everywhere and it might not be enough, forcing you to equip pvp items with resilience to avoid getting critically hit.

Investing 1 talent into a 3 min aoe taunt is a waste in my view. Because how it is designed (and shaman is not designed by the game authors to tank) it lacks taunts unfortunately. This is why it cannot tank raids, no matter what theorycrafting you design. Simply because some mechanics require tanks to taunt at a specific moment. I see RHCs tanking possible with shaman but threat would need to be built on magma totem, fire novas and chain lighnings to hold those mob groups.

In resto subtree, if you aim for Nature Swiftness talent to self-heal yourself, you pick so many useless talents that it will never outweight all those useful talents in elemental subtree boosting your aoe threat and giving you permanent 6% dmg reduction unlike some self-heal every 2 min.
Rascall Retribution/Holy
Rascallus Blood (tank)/Unholy (DPS)
Rascalluz Affliction/Demonology
Rascalles Feral (bear)/Balance
Rascallez Assassination
Rascallis Arms (DPS)/Arms (tank)
Razcall Marksmanship/Survival
Razcallus Fury/Protection
Razcalluz Feral (cat)/Restoration
Razcalles Combat/Subtlety
Razcaellez Beast Mastery
Razcaell Discipline/Holy
Razcaelllus Enhancement/Restoration
Razcaelluz Blood (DPS)/Frost (tank)
Razcaelles Elemental/Spellhance
Razcaellez Arcane/Frostfire
Rascaell Protection
Rascaellus Frost (DPS)/Unholy (tank)
Rascaelluz Fire/Frost
Rascaelles Shadow
Rascaellez Destruction

...and more...

Yutilk

#11 » Post by Yutilk » 01 Jul 2022 20:19

venzel wrote:
27 May 2022 23:01
Yutilk wrote:
19 May 2022 21:24
Rascall wrote:

Hey, sorry to bother, but are there any news on this? I find this very interesting and I'd love to see a continuation of this discussion.
There's a lot of active talking on the

Shaman tank discord: https://discord.gg/aCQRtHqdCN

Yutilk

#12 » Post by Yutilk » 04 Sep 2022 20:00

OP guide author here,

The guide has been updated.