Channeling Spells + Swing Timers

Gnurg

Channeling Spells + Swing Timers

#1 » Post by Gnurg » 15 Jan 2017 12:29

As of right now, your swing timer cooldown goes down while channelling spells. This means that you might be able to do an auto attack right after your spell cast.

Say you got a spell, which has a channelling (casting) time of 2 seconds. You do as well have a dagger with 1,6-second swing timer. Should you be in range to auto attack, you are able to auto attack in between every cast.

Is this intended? Or would you have to wait until 1.6 seconds of non-channeling time to able to do the auto attack?

My only lead, as of right now, is that slam is supposed to pause the swing timer (3 seconds swing timer, 1.4 seconds into the swing when casting slam, should be 1.6 seconds left for the swing after the slam). This might be because slam is a channelled spell and therefore other channelled spells should be treated the same?

** By Channelling spells, I meant spells that have a casting time.
Last edited by Gnurg on 15 Jan 2017 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Nyeriah

Re: Channeling Spells + Swing Timers

#2 » Post by Nyeriah » 15 Jan 2017 12:31

Slam isn't a channeled spell, you have certain paladin spells that have flags to explicitly not reset swing timer if the cast is instant... which leads me to think they kinda reset swing timer when they have a casting time? I don't know, don't have much information either.

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

#3 » Post by Errorista » 15 Jan 2017 13:03

its spells in general not just channeling ones, I can melee swing between Lightning Bolts aswell as Shaman

I believe those spells should reset your swing timer

papastrumff
Former Staff

#4 » Post by papastrumff » 15 Jan 2017 13:11

Even tho it is a bug, it does not rly affect the gameplay, it just gives elemental shaman a chance to be viable in raids. No other caster stays in meele range, and in pvp, caster meele dmg is laughable I guess. Certain issues like slam, since warrs are miles ahead on dps, and volley should be prioritized over this imo.

Gnurg

#5 » Post by Gnurg » 15 Jan 2017 13:25

papastrumff wrote:Even tho it is a bug, it does not rly affect the gameplay, it just gives elemental shaman a chance to be viable in raids. No other caster stays in meele range, and in pvp, caster meele dmg is laughable I guess. Certain issues like slam, since warrs are miles ahead on dps, and volley should be prioritized over this imo.
It's my bad. I thought all casts with casting time were channelling spells. So just clarify, I meant spells with casting time, not channelling spells. That would include slam.

http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=4835 - Volley was already dealt with.
I could use the same fix for Slam, but it wouldn't have any effect because the swing timer cooldown is lowered during the casting time of slam. That's why I am interested in knowing if this is a global issue with swing timers and spells with casting time.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Eronox
MVP

#6 » Post by Eronox » 15 Jan 2017 13:28

papastrumff wrote:Even tho it is a bug, it does not rly affect the gameplay, it just gives elemental shaman a chance to be viable in raids. No other caster stays in meele range, and in pvp, caster meele dmg is laughable I guess. Certain issues like slam, since warrs are miles ahead on dps, and volley should be prioritized over this imo.
That's a odd perspective, since a bug is a bug.

--------------------------------------------------
I've digged a little in it, and it seems like it shall work like that. Well, depends on how you read it.
Auto-attacks function separately to the use of specific abilities, and do not interrupt or affect their use
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Auto-attack

Wow Wiki has something who could be used as an extra pointer to this, but yet again it's kind of defuse.
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Attack#Player_auto-attack

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Nyeriah

#7 » Post by Nyeriah » 15 Jan 2017 13:32

Gnurg wrote:
It's my bad. I thought all casts with casting time were channelling spells. So just clarify, I meant spells with casting time, not channelling spells. That would include slam.

http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=4835 - Volley was already dealt with.
I could use the same fix for Slam, but it wouldn't have any effect because the swing timer cooldown is lowered during the casting time of slam. That's why I am interested in knowing if this is a global issue with swing timers and spells with casting time.
Volley issue is still there http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 24#p401924

Gnurg

#8 » Post by Gnurg » 15 Jan 2017 13:33

Ideally, someone would go on retail and tested it on a dummy. :-)

Right click the dummy, spam any spell with casting and see if you are able to successfully land auto attacks after each spell cast. (PS. Have attack speed less than casting speed).
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Eronox
MVP

#9 » Post by Eronox » 16 Jan 2017 20:03

Bump!

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

Vaen

#10 » Post by Vaen » 16 Jan 2017 22:34

To answer your original question Gnurg: all spells (includes most SPELL instants too except some that are flagged, as Nyeriah said) by default should completely reset the weapon swing timer.

Some exceptions to this are Slam (should pause swing timer - actually lets timer go through it, see http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=4771), Steady Shot (ranged swing timer continues through it AND allows auto-shots to go off, works as intended)
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

Gnurg

#11 » Post by Gnurg » 13 Feb 2017 21:02

Diving into the code, it appears it's already implemented with correct flags and everything. The problem is however that the reset happens after the player gets to auto attack, so it has no effect. I'll have to move it somewhere else. :-)

I checked with a few mage and warrior spells. Most of the warrior spells didn't trigger the reset, with the exception of Shattering Throw, while the mage got the reset trigger for almost all spells. When/if I move it to a better location, I would likely need everyone to test their classes to make sure it doesn't bug something. Especially auto attack/shoot driven classes.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE