Operation Bugtracker

Nyeriah

Operation Bugtracker

#1 » Post by Nyeriah » 09 Aug 2014 01:03

As many of you may have noticed, as of late I've started (or at least got more engaged) into an old project of mine that's basically defined by clearing up and organizing all of our service sections. So far, I'm done with the customer support sections so I decided to move to other more critical areas.

After several complaints from players and testers about how neglected and messed up our bug tracker currently is, I've decided it's about time to cut it right to the chase and address it as it has already carried along for too long.

This is by far a very long and tiresome work and that's why it'll require help from whoever has spare time and willingness to help put things in order. It's not expected to have every thing sorted over night, it's well likely that it'll take a couple of weeks/months to have everything sorted as it should be, but we'll eventually get there... if we start moving forward and less sideways.

How can you help?
Currently there are 411 open issues without any label. They haven't been confirmed, closed or resolved. We don't know if they have been acknowledged or if they are duplicates. We don't know if the bugs presented there are still valid or if they ever were. For all that it counts, at least 25% of these reports are obsolete or bogus.

To assist us sorting it up, you can try the issue and bump it up. Bumped issues will show up at recently modified and then a Staff or a Staff Support member will mark it as either duplicate, acknowledged or resolved etc so on and so forth.

What are the benefits of having a clean bugtracker?
Rhetorical question, issues can be addressed more efficiently and it gives the server much better looks. So far, anyone stopping by would feel these issues were deliberately neglected - and that's not a feeling we look forward cherishing.

However, having them sorted doesn't mean we'll be able to fix every issue, but it'll surely be more comfortable when picking what to do.

If you'd need help or discuss anything, feel free to use this section to do it if you feel like it's needed, for any questions and researches, or whatever reason drops by.

For Staff members: here's a brief description on how to manage the bugtracker http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=13028

Additionally, testers may request an promotion at bugtracker to the Updater status, which allows you editing reports, adding links and tags that are helpful for when players use the search function.

Here's some trivial information and statistics about our 10 top reporters by open issues:

Statistics by report resolution:

And that's all for now I guess, feel free to ask any questions or anything. Cheers. :)

Relina

Re: Operation Bugtracker

#2 » Post by Relina » 09 Aug 2014 03:00

Nye stop reading my mind :P
I was half way done with my wall of text asking for this same thing but also if we should continue to report to bugtracker in general since it seemed to be kinda ignored.
Truewow: Retired for now.
Peace - Lvl: 80 Paladin

Primalwow: Retired for now.
Relina - Lvl: 70 Paladin

I'm willing to become a stone bridge.
Just...
to catch a glimpse of you passing by.

Heihachi
Developer

#3 » Post by Heihachi » 09 Aug 2014 04:44

I was actually thinking about making a function/class/something that will allow PM's to be sent to staff when something is assigned to them and I also believe we should have someone assigned a Manager role on the BugTracker to get things assigned to Devs depending on how important/game breaking something is and the devs skill level (for example you wouldnt give Docmin something that requires advance C++ when he is best suited at quest (ps dont know if that is true so :P) ) I dont know if any staff want to do this but i think if a rank that allows only assigning and closing stuff is there i wouldnt mind giving it to a MvP or Staff Tester who wants to help by managing the system.

Nyeriah

#4 » Post by Nyeriah » 09 Aug 2014 05:14

Well, as much as I see that having a project leader assigning things to others might be productive, I'd feel turned down to have stuff that I don't know how to fix assigned to me and I see it's fated to happen since players (and people in general) don't know much about how things flow :(

No idea, it's double edged.

The other problem is that bugtracker offers 0 flexibility, so whoever gets to assign tasks would need to get promoted to Developer since you can't create new ranks or manage custom privileges and Updaters can't do that much I think.

Reaper4vp
Former Staff

#5 » Post by Reaper4vp » 09 Aug 2014 08:22

I hate bugtracker :| But ill see what i can do to help out

perka

#6 » Post by perka » 09 Aug 2014 09:16

We decided in past (on GC) not to assign stuff to people and let them assign stuff they want to fix themselves. Otherwise it simply puts pressure on them what to fix and leads people to believe this is the person who will fix this issue and they start bothering him.
Devs usually assign stuff they really want to fix and if you keep adding more to that list they may lost track of what they actually wanted to do. It also lead other devs to believe this issue is being worked on by that person and so on.

Its not that hard to find stuff on your level to fix or lets say when you see certain report and know who can fix it just talk to him and if he is interested he will fix/assign it himself.
On GC we had way way more reports and for example i used to make a special parent report where i linked all Instance or Other category related reports that would be really beneficial to be fixed (regardless of their actual priority).

Overall there is really no point working on such thing atm Heihachi.

note: People should know that those who reported an issue are mainly responsible to keep their report updated and let us know if it get fixed with some update (not fixed by us) so we can mark it as resolved.

perka

#7 » Post by perka » 09 Aug 2014 09:49

Also for all the testers and other people interested, we need to fill up http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12242 finally.

Nyeriah

#8 » Post by Nyeriah » 13 Aug 2014 00:40

About -100 reports unlabeled since this was posted :D

Chasity
Former Staff

#9 » Post by Chasity » 13 Aug 2014 11:57

Nice! :)
"and rly ... Location -- IKEAland .. you re rly pissed of by guy who is from IKEA :D"

Nyeriah

#10 » Post by Nyeriah » 09 Sep 2014 06:54

Firstly, there are only 193 unlabeled issues currently so good job Chasity and all the others that helped so much with this :)

Secondly, they've asked to always assign a report to someone when moving to resolved so it doesn't show at the upper side so please do so, you can assign it to yourself, it doesn't matter. It's not the proper way but with the limitations there are we just gotta deal with what we have.

Nyeriah

#11 » Post by Nyeriah » 08 Jan 2015 05:39

http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=14425

There's the latest update to this, still a rather low ratio of unlabeled reports in comparison to what we had about a year ago when we started this, so good job and keep up :)

Chasity
Former Staff

#12 » Post by Chasity » 21 Jan 2015 00:16

For the moment when I'm posting this there are 0 new bugs left on bug tracker. The problem is that we have way too many confirmed and someone need to re-test them because many got fixed after the huge update which we had. But that will not be me :D
"and rly ... Location -- IKEAland .. you re rly pissed of by guy who is from IKEA :D"

Fastor

#13 » Post by Fastor » 26 Mar 2015 18:50

Excuse me, how to create parent folder and group up bug reports in it?

Nyeriah

#14 » Post by Nyeriah » 26 Mar 2015 21:56

I've updated your bugtracker account to updater.

To create a parent report, just create a regular report, go to the reports you want linked and "add parent relation", that's it! Just keep in mind to use a clear name on the parent report and nothing too suggestive

Fastor

#15 » Post by Fastor » 26 Mar 2015 23:03

K, l think lm doing something.